• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Gas smell (pretty sure not fuel pump)

claypoolxx

Hi all.  I just joined, but I've been searching and learning a lot for the past few months.  I've been through two brake failures, pinion bearing noise, and now a gas smell.

I have noticed a faint gas smell that will come and go while I am driving.  No noticeable leaks.  Lines look ok.  I can't smell it if its parked.  Last fall I had a small evap leak code.  I changed the purge valve and charcoal canister and it went away.  CEL came back on in the winter because it was running very rich.  This is when I first notice the gas smell.  I found a cracked fuel injector.  Replaced that and CEL went away and its not longer running rich. 

I know most of you are thinking its got to be the fuel pump.  But, the fuel pump and lines were replaced just before I bough the truck almost two years ago.  Just to be sure, I cut an access panel to check it out.  Everything still looks new under there.  However, I did notice some moisture around the ring.  It didn't smell like gas though.  It did rain a ton yesterday.  Does water collect under there?  I may put on a new gasket anyway.

But, if its not the pump, where do I look now?

I only bought this truck to tow a boat short distances and for Home Depot runs.  I've put maybe 2000 miles on it.  I've been able to take my time fixing things on it because its not my daily.  Last week I tore my Achilis tendon.  My boot doesn't fit in my civic, so I've been using the truck more and I'm on more of a time crunch now.

Thanks for any help.  I am at a loss now.  Oh its a 2006 1500 lt

Well its definitely not the pump.  Cut a hole to check it and it looks brand new.  It appeared that whoever replaced the pump didn't clean the seal area too well as there were rust pieces in there.  I cleaned it up and put on a new seal and lock ring hoping that was it, but it still smells.

What about the fuel filler hose? Does it leak before making it to the tank?

2012 here.....i have the same problem......random strong gas smell in the cab.......lasts about a minute then goes away.....and happens once during a trip of 2 hours......but its random and no ryhme or reason and not every trip......no smell around the tank or truck.....just bought it used 3 weeks ago with 158K

2012 here.....i have the same problem......random strong gas smell in the cab.......lasts about a minute then goes away.....and happens once during a trip of 2 hours......but its random and no ryhme or reason and not every trip......no smell around the tank or truck.....just bought it used 3 weeks ago with 158K
Smoke test the EVAP lines

Smoke test the EVAP lines
truck is going back to the dealer for other things but i will mention this......

wife called him about the gas smell and he said he will check it out while its up on the lift for the other stuff.....

the other stuff is he is putting on running boards for us because he saw my wife struggle to get into the truck, she had 2 strokes......

the other thing is he said the air bag suspension was replaced for regular shocks and there is a flashing message on the display and he is going to put a resistor to stop the message......

thanks

I had a similar issue on mine, and ended up tracing it to a busted vent line connector on the carbon canister, bottom front of the canister. Made my own with a piece of 1/4” DOT air tubing and a heat gun. No more fuel smell.

Back