• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to remove 2002 grille?

ZacD55

Does anyone know how to remove a 2002 avalanche grille. I'm trying to put a light bar behind the grill but can't figure out how to remove it.

Very simple.  You pull the three plastic "rivets" that secure the top of the assembly to the radiator core support, then just "pop" it off.  You may end up breaking some of the plastic pieces that you are "popping" but they are easily replaceable, or you could do as I've done for over 15 years and just run with a few of them broken.

enoniam said:
Very simple.  You pull the three plastic "rivets" that secure the top of the assembly to the radiator core support, then just "pop" it off.  You may end up breaking some of the plastic pieces that you are "popping" but they are easily replaceable, or you could do as I've done for over 15 years and just run with a few of them broken.

Along with this I will add that there are points at the outside end of the chrome power bar that pop into retainers between the lights. Careful that area as you can break that if you don't know what you're doing. Sometimes it's easier to take the lights out first so you can see how those outer points attach.

Remove the clips/retainers across the top
grab the mesh part and give it a quick jerk, just enough to remove the clips but not to completely remove the grille
pull/pry the ends of the chrome to release the clips

should be able to remove the whole grille. I've used this method a lot and have never broken any of the clips.

On my 02, the sides where the "power bar" attaches is not connected to the body anymore. It looks like the mounting clips are not there. Looks like I'm going to be searching for a new grill now. Oh well.

or search for new clips.

Back