• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Engine won't start or turn over

old skool

For about the last couple of weeks I've had a problem starting my truck at random times. I turn the ignition and the dash lights come on but the engine does not crank. Eventually if I keep trying it will finally start. This morning this happened and this time it will not start at all. Thought it might be the starter, but I jumped the starter and it spins. Checked the battery and cables and all is good. It won't start with the remote start or the key. The solid orange engine light stays on after all other lights go out...not sure if that means anything.

what happens when you turn the key?
Do lights dim or go out?
What does volt meter show when you turn key?

Did you get battery load tested?
Will it jump start?

When I turn the key I hear what I believe to be the fuel pump. There is no clicking like the battery is dead. The headlights and dome lights are bright and don't even flicker when I try to start. I haven't hooked it to a voltmeter when starting as I'm home alone. The battery has not been load tested and it will not jump start.

Hmmmmmmmm strange.
Does not gage cluster have volt meter?

Any aftermarket alarm or remote start or anything NON GM?

IF NO and battery is good and voltage stays up when you turn key
I would say ignition switch but before that I would remove starter and have tested and check if power getting to starter solenoid.

Ok, I was able to get it started by jumping the solenoid to the starter...don't know why that didn't work earlier...but it still won't start from the switch. I do have an after market remote start on it.

Look at this remote start as from my experience reading this forum... tends to be issue.

After poking around the fuse box next to the driver side kick panel, it's magically starting like normal now.  :wave: (y) Thanks for your help ygmn. My conclusion is, it must have been a loose wire.

Back