Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer Case Lights Not Illuminating / 4WD Not Working?  (Read 205 times)

gratata

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
Transfer Case Lights Not Illuminating / 4WD Not Working?
« on: May 20, 2019, 21:17:07 PM »

I've got a (new to me) 2005 Z71 AV that I bought over the weekend.  I noticed that when I turn the key to the 'Run' position, the windshield wipers come on (if they're engaged) and the instrument panel backlight comes on, but no other lights come on at all.  Everything works as it should when running.  There is no CEL and the only warning displayed is "service airbag".

My main issue is that when I try to engage the 4WD, the transfer case buttons don't illuminate and I don't hear anything moving or engaging and I just want to know where I should start with troubleshooting the 4WD

Landchipper

• Driving Enjoyment and Style
Re: Transfer Case Lights Not Illuminating / 4WD Not Working?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 03:34:20 AM »

I too am learning about these vehicles as I go but have had similar issue as you have described.
My ECM had lost the ground and needed replacing after I had replaced the encoder ring and motor on the t-case.
You may be able to clean the ground bolts on the body/frame mount just under the front driver door.
There are 2 together on that mount that will get paint and/or corrosion under them.
Hope this helps give a place to start. Good luck to you.
2005 Avalanche Z71

2004Slickside

Re: Transfer Case Lights Not Illuminating / 4WD Not Working?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:24:32 AM »

I've got a (new to me) 2005 Z71 AV that I bought over the weekend.  I noticed that when I turn the key to the 'Run' position, the windshield wipers come on (if they're engaged) and the instrument panel backlight comes on, but no other lights come on at all.  Everything works as it should when running.  There is no CEL and the only warning displayed is "service airbag".

My main issue is that when I try to engage the 4WD, the transfer case buttons don't illuminate and I don't hear anything moving or engaging and I just want to know where I should start with troubleshooting the 4WD
Start with fuses.  ATC in underhood fusebox and 4WD in dash fusebox.
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 24 queries.