• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hesitation under a load

Macc

For a while now I?ve been noticing my truck has been acting funny under a load. Acting like it wants to go but something is holding it back. I have an 02 Avalanche 2500 with 191,000 miles on it. I?ve noticed that it doesn?t do the hesitation in the mornings mostly in the afternoon and usually at about 60 mph. It has done it at slower speeds but not as often or as much. When this happens I give it more gas and it evens out like nothing happened. Th other day when it started acting up the service engine soon light came on and started flashing. So I bought a scanner and the code it gave was P0300. Now to figure out what is the cause of the problem. 

A couple of years ago I did a full tune up on the truck also around the same time I replaced my fuel filter and pump as well. So I really don?t think any of those are the problem but who knows. Someone had mentioned to me that it might be the catalytic converter that?s the problem. How do I go about figuring out if I do have a bad cat or if it is something else without just throwing parts at?

I would start with changing the fuel filter, clean the mas air flow sensor (MAS) and adding a good fuel system cleaner.

The reason I suggest this is because P0300 is random misfires.. Which could be caused by low fuel pressure to the injectors or dirty MAS. Also how many miles on your O2 sensors??

Good luck...

I changed my fuel filters a couple of years ago should I change them again? I bought some mass air flow sensor cleaner a few months ago and tried that with no avail. Back in August I ran some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank as well.  I didn?t see any improvement really from that either. Last July I had a problem with smoging the truck due to the O2 sensors so I replaced them. 4 of them at the time

The cost is low so I would change, it can't hurt. You could also check the fuel pressure, sounds like you've done everything else.

You may have to have it diagnosed by a tech with a right test tools..

Yeah that?s what I was thinking too. Just not looking forward to the bill lol do you think a new mass air flow sensor would help? I cleaned mine but it?s still the original one

What plugs and wires did you use for the tune up a couple years ago? If it were me with a P0300, and considering the relatively low cost, I would replace all 8 plugs and wires again with factory recommended parts. I know this is throwing parts at it without proper diagnosis but they are a wear item and it's a cost/time judgement call. 

Also look for vacuum leaks, and test the fuel pressure if you've got access to gauges. Then, if the P0300 and all other codes go away but you still have power concerns, I would have an exhaust shop do a pressure test looking for restricted catalytic converters. If you've had a misfire for an extended period, the converters may be destroyed. Good luck and report back

Also P0300 diagnostic videos that could help..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvdWeyDHf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLxu2Z5OfTM

Back