• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Driver's door pull handle

Hound

SM 2006
SM 2005
On the backside of the door pull there is a seam where the faux leather coming from the top secures to the pull.  Inside that seam is a clip that runs the length, front to back of the pull handle and secures the 2 pieces of the pull together.  The clip (white plastic) has broken in several places and the seam is now opening.  I am not sure that part is sold separately but if it is I can't find the part number or a schematic.

Any experience or help?

edit:  Found a YouTube vid on the topic.  I am calling this the "door pull" but it is referring to it as the "armrest"  I guess both terms are correct.  But that video did a mod rather than replacing the plastic clip or strip.  Here is the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_WSkrVWLQ

Thanks for posting.  I have the same issue (plastic inside is cracked).

Has been discussed before in older threads, thanks for video though. Here is one:

Vaeagleav said:
Has been discussed before in older threads, thanks for video though. Here is one:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=149669.msg2138066#msg2138066

Thanks.  I located and was reading that thread when you posted this.  There is a suggested fix that I may try.  Doesn't seem that the plastic retainer clip is a replaceable part.

On the backside of the door pull there is a seam where the faux leather coming from the top secures to the pull. Inside that seam is a clip that runs the length, front to back of the pull handle and secures the 2 pieces of the pull together. The clip (white plastic) has broken in several places and the seam is now opening. I am not sure that part is sold separately but if it is I can't find the part number or a schematic.

Any experience or help?

edit: Found a YouTube vid on the topic. I am calling this the "door pull" but it is referring to it as the "armrest" I guess both terms are correct. But that video did a mod rather than replacing the plastic clip or strip. Here is the link:

I do have the same issue and no one could come up with an answer ?????????
July 2020

I do have the same issue and no one could come up with an answer ?????????
July 2020

What year? Same 2013 issue as the others? Since the door panel is one big piece the only real fix is a complete replacement.

I wrapped it with 1" wide black duct tape. Looks cheap but I am the only one that drives the car and the only one that sees it.

I found the most perfect way.
quick & easy

Multipurpose Black Insulating Foam Sealant

"great stuff"

Due to the fact the dealership made the recommendation to replace the entire inside door panel for only 1000 $ CAD.

- get the broken cheap loose plastic out
- fill the foam slowly into the handle
- don`t fill to much due to it expends up to 1 inch
- don`t make a mess and use some kitchen towel / napkins to cover
- soon the foam is coming out a little you can wipe these off
- use some clear package tape to tape the door handle temporarily and all the lines where the foam could come out
- the tape will keep the handle in place so the foam can expend and fill the empty spots
- after 8 h wait the handle will be solid again
- remove the tape and towels

tadaaaaa :)

Of course you will ask yourself, if this is filled with foam how the shop can take it apart if they have to deal with the cables inside the door.
- you still can do
you only fill as much as you need into the handle and not the entire door
and second
if the shop / garage is trying to remove this part which was not designed for long lasting and replacing .......the plastic will break at that point anyway and they can tell you ......now they have to replace the entire panel due to it broke by trying to excess these part of the door.

It worked awesome for me and hopefully for you as well.

Good Luck !

Ps. sorry for the bad English ......its my second language ;)

What year? Same 2013 issue as the others? Since the door panel is one big piece the only real fix is a complete replacement.

I found the most perfect way.
quick & easy

Multipurpose Black Insulating Foam Sealant

"great stuff"

Due to the fact the dealership made the recommendation to replace the entire inside door panel for only 1000 $ CAD.

- get the broken cheap loose plastic out
- fill the foam slowly into the handle
- don`t fill to much due to it expends up to 1 inch
- don`t make a mess and use some kitchen towel / napkins to cover
- soon the foam is coming out a little you can wipe these off
- use some clear package tape to tape the door handle temporarily and all the lines where the foam could come out
- the tape will keep the handle in place so the foam can expend and fill the empty spots
- after 8 h wait the handle will be solid again
- remove the tape and towels

tadaaaaa :)

Of course you will ask yourself, if this is filled with foam how the shop can take it apart if they have to deal with the cables inside the door.
- you still can do
you only fill as much as you need into the handle and not the entire door
and second
if the shop / garage is trying to remove this part which was not designed for long lasting and replacing .......the plastic will break at that point anyway and they can tell you ......now they have to replace the entire panel due to it broke by trying to excess these part of the door.

It worked awesome for me and hopefully for you as well.

Good Luck !

Ps. sorry for the bad English ......its my second language ;)
where are the pics?

My used 2013 had the driver's door handle broken. You have to replace the entire panel at close to $800. The easy fix is 3/4" aluminum angle, some long screws the over to an auto interior shop for wrapping the new handle and also dis the same for the other door to match. Looks better than factory and costs about $120.. Best of all, a true solid pull handle. My 2007 AV has a well build factory pull handle, never an issue.

Any chance you took pics along the way?

Back