• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Avalanche 5.3 2WD Z66 P0336 P1514 and P0342. Will not crank

Fuzz

I am in need of some help. Yesterday it would turn over but wouldn't crank up and run. I scanned it and it threw 3 codes. P0336, P0342, and P1514. I looked them up and I see crankshaft position, camshaft position and throttle body actuator. You can smell gas so I know fuel is not the issue. I bought a new crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. Before I spend the time putting the parts on, have any of you ever had this happen on yours? If so what fixed it?

I'm in the 300,000 mile club and want to continue to climb on the miles. Any help is appreciated.

I've never seen that combination of codes, are you sure the P0336 is not a P0366 ???

PS check all the fuses

OK here is what I would do

First is check the fuel pressure it should be over 45 PSI minimum, you should not be able to smell gas the system is sealed.

Second get a old school timing light and see if you have spark.

Before I saw your response I put the crankshaft position sensor on and still wouldn't crank. I put the camshaft position sensor on and bam. It cranks every time now. I cleared the codes and drove it with no issues.

Thanks for posting the out come i still can't figure out why it threw a crankshaft sensor code. But at 326,000 miles its time for parts to wear out.

This morning I went to crank it up and it was hesitant to crank and backfired. I waited and turned the key over again and it started running. While running it is not throwing any codes and doesn't skip. I replaced the spark plugs and wires when I put on the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. Not sure what that could be. If timing was off it wouldn't run right.

so it runs good now?

Yeah it runs. Just hesitant to start. It sounded like fuel pressure was building up but wasn't firing and then it did a small back fire. Started right up after that. It ran fine the whole way to work which is about 40 miles one way. Doesn't skip, have a rough idle, have any codes, or any of the symptoms of a spark issue besides at the start up in the morning.

how does it start now?

You may want to put the old crankshaft position sensor back in, I believe there is a relearn procedure you may have to do when you change it.

The first crank up in the morning it just spins over. The second time I try to crank it, it will crank up and run. I was thinking about putting the old crankshaft sensor back on too. I don't have the scan tool to do the relearn process. Guess I need to buy one.

man that sounds like fuel pressure bleeding down overnight.

That's usually a problem with the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, or a small leak in the line.

There are no external leaks on it. Maybe it's leaking somewhere else. I'll put a gauge on it this week and see.

could be injector leaking down as well.

GEt fuel pressure gage and connect to fuel rail.
See what it says.
Try to start truck note what happens to gage.
Start truck note pressure.
Turn off truck.
Note pressure and see if it bleeds down... should remain pretty high all the time.

The wire to the camshaft position sensor is completely exposed. Luckily I work on wire harnesses for a living. Tomorrow I'll pull the circuit out of the connector and splice on a new one.

Alright so I fixed the wire and for a few days it would crank on the first time when I tried. Now it's back to having to turn the key over twice. Fuel pressure is at 55psi before trying to crank it. Anyone know how to relearn the crankshaft position sensor without having a scanner?

Do you still have any codes

No codes and it's not running rough or having issues idling. If I try to crank it the first time it backfires

Put the fuel pressure gauge back on then  turn the key to on and note the pressure.
Start the engine and note the pressure again.
Turn it off and see how fast the pressure drops. Time it

Back