• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Broken plastic under carpet

bookish

SM 2020
2002 Avalanche here!

I installed a backup camera this morning, and to run the wire I pulled off the kick panel on the driver's side and pulled up the carpet on the floor. Everything looked great... except... there were shards of broken plastic EVERYWHERE. It looks like there was a big plastic piece under the carpet that ran down from the firewall area onto the floor and behind the wires and connectors in the kick panel area and it had completely disintegrated long ago. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, was there one big piece or several? Did it serve any purpose? The only thing I can guess is that some of the electrical stuff behind the kick panel might have been fastened to it (?)

A picture might help others diagnose what part it was if you want to post that up.. But otherwise, is everything operable?

Yes, everything seems to work fine and the steel floor is in great shape. The only thing that doesn't look quite right is that the big bundle of wiring and the small box it's attached to behind the kick panel are hanging loose.

Back