• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Has anyone ever removed the passenger inner fender to work on exhaust manifold

Gtnez

Took my avalanche to the shop to get the exhaust manifold replaced for the passenger side because I didn't have the tools and also read them bolts are easily snapped so I didn't want to deal with that, but the auto shop called me saying bolts were already snapped and that will cost me a couple hundred dollars more to have it drilled out and replaced, long story short I got my truck back with the old exhaust and gasket because I found a solution which is a kap#108 by kral auto which is an exhaust manifold bolt kit it pretty much just acts like a C clamp, but was thinking of giving removing the broken bolt with drills a shot, and  saw on YouTube someone take the plastic guard or inner fender of the passenger wheel along with the tire off and the space he had to work on the emanifold was ridiculous huge but it was on a different truck, has anyone ever done this on a AV, is it even doable I only count a couple plastic tabs and push through connectors attached to the plastic guard, also how does one post pictures on this, is that only an option given when on a computer or can you do it on a mobile device

I removed them for header installation.  Very doable and much more room to work on the side of the motor.

Removing the inner fender is very easy. If you don't feel comfortable removing that inner fender you may be better off finding a professional to work on your truck because if you feel uncomfortable just removing the inner fender you will likely have other issues once you get into the job. You will likely find other mechanics in your area that will provide other techniques and cheaper prices...

I have seen where people have welded a nut onto the end of broken studs and removed them that way. The welding also helps to heat up the bolt to be able to remove them... When I had to have my heads replaced the mechanic removing the exhaust manifolds said there were 4 of the 12 bolts broken when he pulled the manifolds off.

Rodney

Back