• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Thinking of picking up a 07+ Avalanche.. got some questions

DJGietzen

I'm looking to pick up a winter vehicle and about once or twice every three months find myself wanting to bring a bunch lumber / sheets home from the hardware store. Seems to me a 4x4 avalanche fits that demand very well.

What are some common problems I should be looking out for? My budget means I'll probably be looking at trucks with around 130000-160000 miles on them.

I've always driven a car with a console shifter. I see the Hummer h2 had one and I know its sort of like the avalanche's cousin. Has any one ever adapted a automatic console shifter into a 2007+ avalanche?

First welcome to the website!

The selection of any used vehicle is an issue that is more about the individual vehicle and it's individual maintenance/accident/exposure to harsh conditions/flooding etc. CarFax does not supply all info on a vehicle but can help sometimes.
If you read the "problems" section of any owner website you can get scared due to the fact that owners with issues post looking for solutions. You need to realize that the majority of overall owners don't belong to owner websites and even then the majority of owners don't post things like "I drove my vehicle today and nothing bad happened!"
For balance look at threads on this site about multiple AV owners,would you buy another one, high mileage clubs, and the yearly rumor threads about a third gen AV being produced......
After all that you need to accept that you are looking at a vehicle that is 6 to 12 years old and is bound to show some age. Look for rust especially underneath and neglect to maintenance.
As far as putting in a Hummer automatic floor shifter, I don't remember anyone posting that mod, my guess is they don't want to loose console space. I do remember some members putting in a manual transmission with a floor shifter into their highly modded drive-train so i guess if you got the time and money it could be done.

Back