• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best rear shocks

spidey

Year 2012 and have used my truck to tow alot.  I have noticed the last few months the back end is a bit more floaty then it used to be.  And I have the orginal shocks on the truck.

I have had no issue with them over the years, and got a price for replacement ones at the dealership.

But if I am going to replace, what are some good after market ones that are as good or better then the OEM one

I got quoted $169 a piece (Canadian) for them

I think you will like Bilstein 5100

I agree, Bilstein is the best way to go!  (y)

If that doesn't help you might want to consider heavy duty sway bars, springs, and to check your tongue weight load when you tow.

Vaeagleav said:
I agree, Bilstein is the best way to go!  (y)

If that doesn't help you might want to consider heavy duty sway bars, springs, and to check your tongue weight load when you tow.

Thanks for the info.  As for the later thats fine, havent had that for the last 7 years and had no issue.  This "bounce" is just from everyday driving.

Dont tow as much either now.  Moved back to the city so no more water trailer, and we are selling our camper as well.

So officially its a commuter truck now. 

The Bilstein site shows two for 5100  I assume front and rear (as labeled)    Just making sure these are the ones owners recommend

B8 5100 Series 0-1" Lift Rear (24-187237)  and  B8 5100 Series Height Adj 0-1.75" Front (24-186940)

As well, should a person replace all 4 at the same time?

Yes you should replace all 4

MS03 2500 said:
Yes you should replace all 4

I thought so, same wear and tear on the front.

Been on the site since I got my truck, and I see some people have leveled their trucks, since we know the Avy sits high in the back.  I assume this is just more than different shocks to accomplish this

As well, I like to do things myself (to a point)  Are these fairly easy to do, just unbolt and bolt back on.

You can level the front up to 1.75" with those 5100s and nothing else.  More info on that here:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=146729.0

The rear shocks are an easy DIY, but for the fronts you will need coil spring compressors.  You'll want an alignment anyway after replacing the fronts, so you may consider having a shop do the install on the front too. 

lunchwagon said:
You can level the front up to 1.75" with those 5100s and nothing else.  More info on that here:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=146729.0

The rear shocks are an easy DIY, but for the fronts you will need coil spring compressors.  You'll want an alignment anyway after replacing the fronts, so you may consider having a shop do the install on the front too.

Yep from what you said, the shop it will be.  Im not compressing any springs.  Ill ask as well about the leveling when they do the alignment

So where in Canada is the best price for these.  Best I can find is here  Rears are $129 each and the fronts are $175 each, all free shipping

http://www.bilsteincanada.com/index.php?cPath=306_8675_15521_15834

Try rockauto but I don't know how much shipping is going to be.

Try Summit..Usealy free shipping over $100, but to Canada you'll have to check...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/2012/make/chevrolet/model/avalanche/department/chassis-suspension/part-type/shocks-and-struts/brand/bilstein?N=4294949823%2B4294951398%2B4294937906%2B4294951552%2B4294925615%2B400558&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Randy said:
Try Summit..Usealy free shipping over $100, but to Canada you'll have to check...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/2012/make/chevrolet/model/avalanche/department/chassis-suspension/part-type/shocks-and-struts/brand/bilstein?N=4294949823%2B4294951398%2B4294937906%2B4294951552%2B4294925615%2B400558&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Comes to about $10 a shock cheaper with shipping, but then with dollar conversion probably end up being more  I am heading to the states on Wed for a week, but flying.  Will see if I can find somethig in North Carolina and if it will be worth my while to bring back on the plane

Amazon might the best deal (so far)  I dont need these asap, will do some more diggin

So I made the app next Thursday to get my shocks replaced.  Ive had them for awhile now, just trying to find a good place and some procrastination

I plan on raising the front some, thats why I went with the Bilstein 5100    How much should I raise the front to make it more level.  I am getting a wheel alignment at the same time

I have never had shocks done on a vehicle before, and expecially never by buying my own and supplying them

Is there anything I need to ask them before hand, or is it as simple as taking it and replacing?

I would try to find a decent independant shop, ask around if someone can recommend one. I've found that the "chain" garages have a tendency to try to oversell you products and services you don't need and have "wanna be mechanics" that really don't know what they are doing. I guess you'll have to try to figure how much lift it will take to make the truck more level by measuring.

Bilstein 5100:  These shocks have been great on my 2007 Avalanche even when towing my 6,000 lb travel trailer.  Plus, I was able to adjust them to level out the truck as well.

CenFL Avalanche said:
Bilstein 5100:  These shocks have been great on my 2007 Avalanche even when towing my 6,000 lb travel trailer.  Plus, I was able to adjust them to level out the truck as well.

How much did you put the settings for in the front?  Measuring this weekend I am 35.5" on the front from the wheel well to the ground, and 36.5" on the back

So basically a 1" "lift" on the front

My regular towing days are now over since I moved back into the city.  No more 6000 lb water tank to haul all the time, and camper is being sold, so no more that towing as well

So I have the front 5100 heightadjustable shocks

Now other members are saying the fronts on the Avy are struts and need to be replaced instead

Im getting conflicting info on this site, and other sites like Bilstein

The 2012 does have front struts, so how are people replacing these with height adjustable 5100s Bilsteins on the front?  Im no mechanic, and getting confused

Back