• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Avalanche just dies while driving

Jimmi Z

My most reliable vehicle just started dying while driving 1st time stop in the middle of main street, luckily some nice guy help me tow to a vacant lot spend the night, next morning fired right up, so I drove it for awhile and then stop for lunch, started ok then was ready to go and just died again took a nap and few hours later fired right up again, so I took a chance and drove down the freeway to get cell phone reception and died again, called 911 CHP and tow truck came, battery went dead from flashers on all night, tow truck driver gave me jump start and fired right up again, tow truck followed me to closest turn off and only charged me $55 for the call gave me an address to a repair shop, so I'm waiting to see what they have found. died 4 times during the trip to the repair shop. CHP officer said he had similar problem and said the fuel pump was good except they found one wire frayed or barely making contact forwarded that info to the repair shop, engine will crank over no problem, just no start anyways just wondering if any members here had similar problem. I was towing a 2013 Lance 1685 TT my new home oh well..

I would be surprised if it wasn't the fuel pump.

But, who knows.

Got a knock on my TT door, said they couldn't duplicate the truck dying ran a bunch of test and everything seems to check out ok, they also suspect the fuel pump going bad some reading were borderline ok. He said it was going to be $1200 bucks to replace, dropping the tank and all but would get me out here today. I sure hope that was it, hate to drive it and then die again, fingers cross..Will let you know if this fixes the problem. My AV has less than 80K miles but it is 17 yrs old and I never let the tank run low I knew the fuel pump was cooled by the fuel..

Since you have a 2002, have you ever changed the fuel filter.

No, because it only has 79K miles but I will soon easy to do, so far the new pump is working good hasn't died yet, Mechanic said when these pump gets hot the fuel will shut off until it cool down enough to start flowing again. $1236.49 total.

Jimmi Z said:
... Mechanic said when these pump gets hot the fuel will shut off until it cool down enough to start flowing again. ....

First time I have ever heard of that.

An overheating fuel pump would be a bad fuel pump in my book.

I have never had that happen in my over 40 years of driving.

(n)

It's true about keeping gas level up, never let mine get below 1/4 and add fuel system cleaner 4 times per year.

I still have the original pump with many many miles.

One of the worst things you can do is run out of gas and keep trying to start it.

Jimmi Z said:
No, because it only has 79K miles but I will soon easy to do, so far the new pump is working good hasn't died yet, Mechanic said when these pump gets hot the fuel will shut off until it cool down enough to start flowing again. $1236.49 total.
I hope they used vaseline when they bent you over. That's freaking crazy. Two hours labor for a shop that knows what they're doing.

Do yourself a favor for next time while your truck is running good.  Find a local shop with reasonable rates BEFORE you get into a bind.  That should have been 2-3 hours + parts.  Maybe also 1 hour for diagnosis fee.  Most local shops will give you their rate if you ask.  My favorite shop over here (non-dealer) has 4 or 5 bays and only charges $83/hr which is good.  Dealers around here would probably be $120 or so, maybe more now.  Usually every job, they look up the # hours in a book, and they stand by it. 

Oh well what can I do I was in a bind guess what it died again on my way to a RV dump site didn't make it, called tow truck again said 125 Hr, truck cool down enough and it started up again I follow him for a way and he wave me off so no charges or anything same guy last time. Now I"m back at the same shop and he won't let me stay in my RV overnight, due to insurance reasons, now I have to get a room nearby local motel he said he may not even get to work on it today, should he pay for the motel room? remember I sold my home and bought an RV to live in. Weird truck runs strong just dies for no reason let it cool down she starts right up again..

Bill.. Diagnose price $165 Engine running has not stalled code P0300 active in PCM at 2500 rpm. The check engine lights starts to flash #1 and #6 cylinders are counting misfired. There is no miss engine is running smooth performed crank re-learn and the misfire is gone, lights is not flashing and no count in misfire monitor.

Ran vehicle on dyno and connected lab scope to fuel pump the pattern is very unstable at cruise and the amp draw is under 7 amps should be 9-11 amps. suspect fuel pump is failing discussed with customer option he requested new pump. Fuel pump removal and replace $556.00

Fuel filter OEM $23.66
Fuel pump assembly-OEM $454.75
Labor $721.00
parts $478.41
Sales tax $37.08

Repair total $1236.49

So, is it all good now?

No I'm still here, they will try and get it on the dyno all wired up and try to duplicate the truck shut down late tonight and continue tomorrow
morning hopefully it will die on them so they can diagnose the problem. Might have to spend he night on streets if no room available, life sucks!

Did truck ever sit for more then a week?

Maybe some mice went underhood and chewed some wires?
Or a ground?

No mice, still here found a room for $85 out of my pocket, truck never died on them drove maybe 15 miles on the dyno under load, when the truck hesitated like it almost wanted to died, read out showed crank sensor stop working, so he ordered a new sensor gonna cost me an additional $325 parts and labor and all, hope that was it...

So far so good, AV running strong drove it for a good while never died..

good to hear... keep knocking on wood!

Jimmi Z said:
So far so good, AV running strong drove it for a good while never died..
I see they are using the S.W.A.G. system for diagnosis.  When in doubt what to do, throw a part at it and hope for the best.

Lots of crank sensors going bad..... I've never understood exactly what is supposed to happen to such a simple part.  More likely to be a bad connector or wiring harness problem.  As a former dealership technician I am typically defending/explaining shops but in this case - Run....  This place is really bending you over.  I just don't understand how anyone can be like that.

World getting more evil these days. I'm pretty sure most other repair stations are pretty much the same..All rip-offs suck when your a nomad..

I?m having a similar problem with my 05 AV. is yours still running well after the crank sensor replaced?

I?m sorry about your shop troubles when mine died the first time I had to leave it at a shop in Jacksonville, FL for a week while I was at Disney with the family and they weren?t able to find anything and fortunately didn?t charge a thing. Unless you count the near full tank of gas they used driving it around trying to get it to die.

Hi, Yes still running strong haven't died, knock on wood seems like they found the culprit..

Back