• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 z71 transmission promblem

Dramarcus1983

OK guys i need help here. I bought and 02 z71 from this lady. she told me that the shift solenoids need to be changed out. there for i took my little happy camper self down to auto zone and go it. basically when i driving the truck home it wouldn't shift out of first gear and the rpm basically red lined. also it wasn't going over 30 may be 40 mph. once i changed out the 1,2,and 2,3 solenoids and the filter and stuff like that the truck now gets up to about 60 mph before red linen.

so I'm asking is there more solenoids that needs to be change out because my truck is not shifting proper  and i have no ideal. i can get in it and drive but it will not shift at all thru the gears it just go.

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

You bought a AV with a non shifting transmission, if it was a easy fix I'm sure the owner would have fixed it herself. But things you want to look at is the wiring and fuses. The pcm controls the tranny shifting.

Just a FYI when buying a car with known issues expect that part will have to be replaced

Assuming both of your replaced solenoids are working correctly, it sounds like your 3-4 clutches, which engage in 3rd and 4th gears, are shot.  What's the mileage on the truck?

You're at a mileage where the transmission if it hasn't been rebuilt already it's about due.

one last thing when i changed out the solenoids the truck ran allot stronger and like i said the i got up in speed but was not shifting

Why not let a tranny shop look at it first.

Back