• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bolt size: ps lines to rack

turbojimmy

Hi all - it's been a long time since I've posted here. The old '07 Avalanche has seen better days. It's rotting out pretty bad, but it still runs well and I drive it when I need to lug stuff around. I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday and the friggin power steering cooler popped - line was rotted through. Easy fix? No.

In removing the cooler, the line from the power steering pump crumbled in my hand. Ordered a pump.

After looking at it all of the lines were suspect. I ordered all the lines.

In trying to remove the bolt that secures the lines to the rack, it snapped off in the rack. Those lines didn't look so good either, and the bushings were shot so I got a new rack. It will be here tomorrow.

I have it all put back together with the new parts except for the rack. What I'm missing is the bolt that secures the lines to the rack. The new lines did not come with it.

Does anyone have a p/n for that bolt and/or know what size it is (length and thread pitch)? It's the one with the 8mm head on it. Google has not helped me in this regard.

DO you have picture of where it came from.

I look in parts books and do not see a line with any bolts to hold it in..

See this site pages

P/S hoses & pumps etc.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2007/chevrolet/avalanche/ltz-trim/5-3l-v8-gas-engine/steering-cat/p-s-pump-and-hoses-scat

Steering gear (includes tubing preplumbed:
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-steering-gear-19330565/?c=Zz1zdGVlcmluZyZzPXAtcy1wdW1wLWFuZC1ob3NlcyZpPVQyMzAwNzA0JnI9NCZhPWNoZXZyb2xldCZvPWF2YWxhbmNoZSZ5PTIwMDcmdD1sdHomZT01LTNsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Pressure line to Steering gear
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-pressure-hose-25858603/?c=Zz1zdGVlcmluZyZzPXAtcy1wdW1wLWFuZC1ob3NlcyZpPUdDMDczODA1JnI9JmE9Y2hldnJvbGV0Jm89YXZhbGFuY2hlJnk9MjAwNyZ0PWx0eiZlPTUtM2wtdjgtZ2Fz

I don?t have a picture handy, but the bolt goes through the clamp at the end of the high pressure line and into the rack (steering gear). I watched a video on the A1 Auto Parts site where it looked like the bolt came with the high pressure line. Mine didn?t.

Here's a pic. I found the correct bolt in my pile of nuts and bolts that I've accumulated over the years. I have no idea what size it is, but it fits perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG-0936.JPG
    IMG-0936.JPG
    564 KB · Views: 7
Salvage yard time?

EXT4ME said:
Salvage yard time?

No I got lucky and found the right bolt in my pile of random nuts and bolts.

So now everything is new - pump, lines, rack and tie rods. A couple of tips for people that stumble across this thread:

- PS Pump pulley removal is a pain in the butt if it's rusted on. I destroyed the removal tool and took a cutting wheel to the pulley to get at the bolts. New pulley is $20.

- PS Pump pulley installation. The same tool I destroyed in removing the pulley failed to install the new pulley on the new pump. The hex on the press part of the tool was 14 mm. Couldn't get enough leverage to press the pulley on. I removed it, put a little grease on the shaft, and used an OEM brand tool. It had a 16mm hex on the press. Bigger wrench, lots more leverage. Worked great

- Don't let the steering wheel turn while the rack is out. You'll mess up the steering wheel position and clock spring. I did not know until now that my steering wheel no longer locks. It turned. When I test drove it I immediately got the Stabilitrak and Trac Control errors. I found a tip on the Internet: Disconnect the shaft from the rack. Gently turn the wheel until you feel the tension on the clock spring wires/stop. Count the turns the other direction until you feel resistance again. Divide by 2 and turn the wheel back that number of turns. This gets you back to center. It worked perfectly. My wheel is clocked a bit to the left, but that's because I didn't have it aligned yet after replacing the rack and tie rod ends.

I still don't know what size bolt that was!

Back