• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cost to replace engine on 2007 LTZ 5.3 4WD

rattlesnake

Hi everyone, first time posting.  My best friend just gave me his 2007 LTZ.  He was the original owner, and it has 94,000 mi.  He had been towing his camper with it out west, and I believe that he blew the engine.  Notorious Service Stabilink, Service Traction Control, Service Suspension System, Cylinder 7 misfire, oil blow-by (literally pouring out of intake filter) when I received it. I went through all of the possible fixes that I found on the forum (except deactivating AFM), but none worked.  Took it to Dealer for their expensive diagnosis, and they said that Cylinder 2 was also misfiring.  Only 30 lbs of compression in cylinders 2 and 7.  The dealer is saying that the best thing to do is replace the engine, which they quoted $8,033 for turn-key replacement with GM rebuilt (100K/3 yr warranty).  My jaw dropped when I saw the quote.  Is this a reasonable cost for engine replacement?  Do you think that it is worth it to replace the engine? 

I worry that it will turn into a money pit even after replacing the engine (e.g., transmission, etc.). The body and interior are in fantastic shape though, and it is a sharp AV! I'm in south Florida, where everything is more expensive, but I still think that the $8,033 quote is too high.  I'm going to get some additional estimates, but would love to hear thoughts on price, and whether it is worth it to replace the engine.  When I asked the dealer about the POS AFM, he said that GM "worked out all of the kinks" on the rebuilds that they sell.  Thanks!

WAY too much money.

Go to local mechanic for their opinion..
soemnoe with JASPER ENGINE sign..

probably your engine has some failed lifters...due to AFM.
Known issue...have someone take apart engine to see if minor repair.

Or have them swap in a JASPER rebuilt engine.... I would not pay more then $3K

ygmn said:
WAY too much money.

Go to local mechanic for their opinion..
soemnoe with JASPER ENGINE sign..

probably your engine has some failed lifters...due to AFM.
Known issue...have someone take apart engine to see if minor repair.

Or have them swap in a JASPER rebuilt engine.... I would not pay more then $3K

Thanks, my jaw dropped to the floor when they quoted me $8,033! Oh man, I have read everything I could find about the AFM issue, most of it here on the forum. Would the failed lifter (s) cause the low compression? Have people had good experiences with the Jasper replacement? I checked price for a Jasper replacement on their website, and it was:
Price: 4015.00
Core Charge: 900.00 Review JASPER's Core Policy
Skid Charge: 15.00
Kit Price: 486.00
Premium Service Plan Price:   255.00

Thanks again!

Talk to your local Jasper mechanic....
maybe check online for other replacement engines... if that is what you think you need/want.

People use jasper for trannys too

Back