• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fuel pump or keep digging?

frito

PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2018
PM 2017
This afternoon I was moving my daughter out of her apartment.  I drove Bumblebee from my house to her apartment, her apartment to lunch and lunch back to her apartment with no issues.  Once we were all loaded up and ready to go, I started it, rolled up the windows and turned on the AC.  As soon as I started to pull away from the curb it died.  Tried to start it a few times to no avail - it cranked fine, wanted to turn over but no go.  I couldn't tell if the fuel pump was going or not due to all the ambient noise.  I called AAA and of course, once the flatbed got there, the driver started it and it fired right up.  To play it safe, I had it towed home and it fired right up to take it off the flatbed and drive it down my driveway.  It sounds to me like classic fuel pump starting to go, but... 

Now for the rub that is making wonder if I should dig deeper.  Since I got my rear end replaced a few weeks ago, the airbag light light has been on.  I had it scanned and it came up as an impact sensor.  I scanned it with my OBD app and no codes came up.  I'm inclined to replace the fuel pump but don't want to throw money at it if it could be something related to the airbag.  I've had about five grand in auto related repairs among our rides  :needhug: and want to make sure I get it right the first time.  Do you think anything related to the airbag could cause this or should I go with the fuel pump scenario.  Based on the age of the truck and mileage (177,000) fuel pump makes perfect sense, but...

Oh yeah, I need to drive it from Cincinnati to Madison, WI in a few weeks to move her for her co-op job.  Needless to say, I don't want anything to fail for that trip.

Thanks gang.

I'm thinking the air bag error is not related to your non-start issue.

I had an air bag error on our Acadia and I also found I had to get a better scanner that read SRS codes to help diagnose the problem.

My lessor and my dongle scanners did not read the SRS codes.

Having near constant air bag errors on the dash had no effect on engine operation.

Your non-start then start issue sounds like any failing fuel pump I have ever had in the past.

air bag not related to engine runnning....

you need to watch live data when your truck does not want to start or dies... but that is PIA...

Test fuel pump - get fuel pressure gage and see how high it gets... does it bleed off quickly.... repeat a few times during different times...

I would try another code reader - Try auto parts store...ensure truck has been thru driving cycle...

See if any codes pending...

Thanks gang.  One thing I forgot to mention - it does have an aftermarket alarm that the used car lot I bought it from five years ago partially uninstalled when they replaced the clock spring.  There are residual wires from it that i have never gotten around to removing even though it's been on my list all these years.  I don't know the exact code number for the airbag, but the transmission shop read it for me and it came back as front impact sensor.

Okay, I'm 99% sure that it's the fuel pump. I just put the key to the start position and heard the fuel pump turn on and man did it sound like it was really struggling.

Replaced the fuel filter on my Avy earlier this year, and man was that thing plugged up!
I was actually surprised that the truck still started and ran ok.
Maybe yours is getting really plugged up?

CarMech1969

Fuel filter is not very old, maybe 30,000 miles on it.  The pump sounded like it was struggling when Icy led the key on and the next time, no sound at all and no start.  Definitely the pump.  Just picked up a pump, lock ring, fuel filter and siphon.  Hopefully I can get enough fuel out of it to make it not as miserable.

frito said:
Fuel filter is not very old, maybe 30,000 miles on it.  The pump sounded like it was struggling when Icy led the key on and the next time, no sound at all and no start.  Definitely the pump.  Just picked up a pump, lock ring, fuel filter and siphon.  Hopefully I can get enough fuel out of it to make it not as miserable.

Have a few jerry cans and a siphon hose on hand, and it will be a lot easier for sure!
I've used my boat fuel tanks to hold fuel before for this very purpose  (y)

I gave my mechanic the go ahead to order my new ACDelco fuel pump.

Mine is still working, but the fuel level sensor has been acting up more and more and I am not exactly sure how old the pump in my truck really is.

I bought the truck with 116K miles on it and I now have 230K, so I only know that I personally have put about 115K miles on the pump that is in there.

I think I have pushed my luck far enough on the old one and will be changing it out next week.

(y)

I'm ever so slowly siphoning the gas out.  My daughter needs some gas in her car but the little Chevy Spark isn't going to make much of a dent in emptying the Why.  :laugh:  I would have liked an AC Delco but went with the Delphi so nice that's what the parts store had in stock and I have to get it running this weekend.

The video I watched suggested using two floor Jack's to meet it.  Think I can get away with one.  I really don't feel like buying a second jack I don't need.

MS03 2500 said:
Motorcycle jack ???
That would give me a good excuse to buy a ?️ motorcycle ?.  I have a couple bottle jacks.  I wonder if I can make that work along with my floor jack.  I have drained enough gas out to be 72 miles to empty.  That's around five gallons and I'll try to get that out to so hopefully it won't be too heavy.

None of your neighbors ride a motorcycle.  Take a look at the tank straps also

MS03 2500 said:
None of your neighbors ride a motorcycle.  Take a look at the tank straps also
None that I know.  Don't see many motorcycles on my street.  I am concerned about the straps but the parts store only has them as special order and I need it running tomorrow.  I'd also like to get all new lines if they have them available.  Guess I can always ratchet strap it if they break.  :kidding: 

But now that I say that, I wonder if I could do something with them to at least help me raise it back into position.

OK, may not on the fuel filler line.  Just priced it out at a couple hundred bucks.  I want to since the metal middle section is pretty rusty but it's gonna have to wait.

I am assuming you already have the fuel line disconnect tool.

EXT4ME said:
I am assuming you already have the fuel line disconnect tool.
No.  The videos I watched made it seem like I don't need one. 

That's one the issues with youtube videos they don't tell ya everything.

I know, I'm usually pretty good about sorting through them and figuring out which ones are good and those to ignore. The guy in this video must just have very strong hands as he demonstrated separating the fuel lines using just his hands with no tool

Well, you know the old saying "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

(y)

Yep, and I need it.  My elbow is s reaming at me.  Off to AA to see if I can rent one and if not then to HF for a cheap one.  I just hope I don't snap my fuel lines they're so rusty.  Looks like I'll be dropping the tank again in the near future to replace the fuel lines and fuel filler lines. I just can't get the parts in time to get it done by when we need to drive it next

Turns out I didn't need it as they really are pinch and pull connectors.  The 16 years worth of rust however made it far more challenging than that.  I'm ordering new lines because the lines going into the pump are completely shot.  Wish I would have concluded that first thing this morning and just cut the blasted things and ordered them.  Now I have to wait until tomorrow for them to arrive.  My current battle it putting on the new lock ring.  I've already spent over an hour trying to twist it on.  Any insights?  I also hope to replace the fuel filter but that may just have to wait until I buy all new lines as I don't want to snap these crusty old lines. 

I'm telling you, those of us in the upper half of the country need to band together and create a "Rust Belt Mechanic" YouTube channel.  The videos, while good and instructional, never have close to the amount of rust many of us deal with.  Any way, without further adieu here are some pics of my futile weekend:

A bit unconventional and I haven't seen this method on any sites, since I only have one jack, I used ratchet straps to lower the tank in a controlled manner:

C1ep92vskaSgEL9-Xv2wUYbTeg2QRKp_atPza7WFDV54rdjJnddCDI6zJO83aT0vkwIW_FN5n5uS9dT8aKJQyYU8TuBqEaOPjKfXcvExr9JIojRIs1PrBji53mFbTlBhK0nG_4OtsbSTRbRHkZ4dOzh0uBguo9GHyLE3WWzmyBTO7zreNT4xYrmYAtCTnygyJJs6JIuQZ4K3H36cwZzoqDmH_HfC6q4muq4jMpQ_yuTee78ZNdIiftzBQNuYJBdUS_IBECw1zyk8zF3y6vCv0Z1Y-FRg3nS5mN5GHv9u8olQQeqUTgavcdTB_Ef2edr8uhiG-16nnuY3Q-q4kCVdXuap8JQUZO2Lhrk7DP84gitJ27okCxXVML72NWPqDYuoQ1D73HOhpk71fuzGBMjIBxwrsPrkIGlMyJB1pfK7oh0IhcFNBxatvC0kqseBFZuosrNtcdZKg-SBcyMuh7mj6ZgEAjJS2gb8OtOjltxrcrZfF-xhpuMxx39LYoo0gLFtDUeTM_hmfkjBIQ1fkzVXQpLMOx3dLJSHeaI7yiNctEyrfDw_vw_TsygK3y7X3nP5rIpAgwd6w-FxpZ5L3tKdBgOmaEUa58rAqXe5HUNvWpVuN9kCDkJphd8-uJKQW6Fkhrv46i91JsYt8LEPlnzZrB1zVrEBDLwHMtWtocXXnGAUcEZLt7qj6vKx4JEMl-SvxtwoxUBGJI8wYQPP8GesoXiyVg=w1250-h938-no

And this is all the rust that fell after using the impact wrench to release the straps
IGrRrZKjsEThhKkn8zo7oOawhIrlG3J0QoJwG9BrJrMGmmdQ61UtSwcvFvm-Y5plQSVNbI8Oq4i_dT-8sD5Xw7xjOdC2pj5pQss115CnRBSxLV7REq7EXwCG8L_7qhZOlJW8VXjcb87uEzZQ4X0JxXzAB9deu1yqACakojeiV4mLbQo6GAbzthkutrx-YT510i-0BOw4pi4iw1i6KWH1EgXK-muGNFm859jHRkHQNVHznKxJX4sw_3NHiPehA-qRfSkXKDV87jWwT5HNUtVGroSNqNb6R2ZNHwJ-XNp1SxZzif9OOzv6bPOk8QcX5SI-cicIGYKw-hDdil1JGR17AiZqDkII5NBgT-2PiwqM4wquK7laqal62snfuttCPkrQC_Il-yZSDwV8OXOxqwkVBK2Z3oAf35oUf0SB-GDhI29gAwFpE0VUakwi3CKI2pL8tLGAknhmp3EGbfgqYa-NAdsNc-dwLisI7RJ0_bxeBodoBsDU7MstDRbckEKYK_qtCuT8bWVEliBDZ5SwgIq2j2PlY47lMRikARVtf5HSQX71Eg3yyoV300sIx44dMD-WY431Myek7hbhFekjf43h7Rw8XLQR9StePOtkfx_WIvu4GM-p8YTFoRlcXUkXm62GD2ut5MZebkCdMAgsujnO25A8R6SoQe3-eSe3R5JNU4Lc7ZiQPoPaZ-DMLfve7WI5FVdw1O6etkYz15nbu9iNehkZpQ=w1250-h938-no

My lines are completely toast.  One of the lines coming from the pump even snapped off:

i7fs8ojIRQWW-I__c0rd_a-1zNu_OynyeiVYoIFv_vd-mtf0PP6bDKVk9tfSCwrb9vPSenwZQrX2sVWWmSfyYYpCZVTJCZR_jeg16p5lCUpdF62u2Bl3IczhWJXU-7-lej9ZLa0IuVNhXDG5cEzkATuoMpTCyktumBMFww68QbAiMy0TAXIItx0AzUMTfox1207NLK07i8hJrNw1DlnUj-Gz_adUy3L4gDazncLIqpiN7oJUJwRBpCAGfGc8HcMsa3NK2yVSJYIDOloSb_immr_owhRvmMD2qstxPWrXg9Qb-UsHL94IAWgI3vzSb_c7cLjxwYSQa0NO-U_PyK7vdRhscbrNnxa6-mji1N8CSDwrNxGxm9nz_fBjDr9paaqFff5VmG2CnJ1lUeB3C20tGy1mP_LYbkLE-IRh9CmzPgyMF4ylQZ_LrprZrdzi8szv85AEznLzS-GJf0LNZNKTPeXoyJKupKvwCgFG09i2tgm_lDzyLOLhQzsR4uHKjsJ3vDaVX12YWPzIaUGBznFVr3BoATvh6XVDrAcfis9oTpwmX07Aot-TrCcDCvQ0Dep04gXOq3rakalS0z05inCdQQ1P7VwHG4YsksyJb0i-RhJBAR2q-Ivxa3qL12OXSiwhYfw8ys27vRKn3ffs9t_rkdP5IC2lj_qToJ3MQjVwLQjgxTADXg4YYIDav-blNzSJ8yKWjEYDWlSuDlTo-lJrn6ECLg=w1250-h938-no

And I actually ended with more tools than I stared with.  It looks like the original pump, somebody got up there somewhere along the line as both of these came out with the tank

sCQd7UF-jH6z71blU-v5KqnlRzuC6U-fgdCMOdkEdYAn3Kv6EQhvnGo9-VttBl9tqfpvhGRtYtFDVGjDxLEgpjy7V4HcOjVi29_ca-rWO9JJikIbKtwOK8-S33nT4seWyvrtbp4RGavD7rMJ1mfIRuB3kakKGyGXUloqLws0_ZiaGIApycWTa9NshQ0Hwdzwcx7as0ylOjnrs5Ccnv-KNULeoMr7rPti9wV4CkT8EuIOSjOqTLJQdlcUkVgZvOWIowG28r8GZiJKcrTqiQPsq_BqNSehk4NDxwumhR7lQ3gMBJty3MMBj5CGgaylw5-S71_K_GVcDO5u05ur5PRFVK5Lf6RLc6TVzif-opsQYaSZxwcWapND2S8-Nv6wyPBZPkcukReF4exqX4Vym9zG3W4pY-CVAfn9I7SgIJELWIYk3v8Fg1UPJrKm4DSShuVmTcsx9HM0LCcUF3stG2pEV5ICflZEF_pl5YHVNXb45Ao9FjWfo1V-YDZndtfxsBm7qgEuqNFvpcr6byyfFdvUxU481jlwSg3bk3phLOSFCLIDuUDOjz7Zk9twtQmyomNBhRrODPlezdKQB575M9TxgAInoRIV-G3CTdLXRtQGgXRsrxSnKf8P9ML3jDaTGb6J_k0NtPJio26tvmJxD6z5NXgCX5AkcNVHcgLeGyTaTRkp7oT1IXhykN6G3KYh1vjCi6MWg_iErKvxI9X1W_sIqorxZg=w1250-h938-no

Free tools! Looks like you might even get the slip joint pliers to work fine with a little clean-up.
With the lock ring, I'm sure you've already tried going counter clockwise until it aligns with the threads, and then starting it clockwise while pressing down? I hope your new lines arrive today, good luck with the rest of the install

Back