• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 Sail panel removal for rubber seal swap

TXBlackDiamond

SM 2007
SM 2006
My 2006 Av has a snugtop on it, so the bed panel rubber seals lining the side channel runners are in great shape. They are not used or exposed to the weather.

I bought a used 2013 Av and the rubber seals on it are worn.  Therefore, I want to swap them for the better ones in my 2006.  However, when I tried to do so I discovered that they are actually part of one big seal (which includes the rear window seal, along with the side channel runners.

The 2006 sail panels are standard grey cladding and have plastic screws. Unfortunately, they are under the Snugtop so I am going to have to remove it temporarily.

However, the 2013 sail panels appear to be a different animal because they are painted and do not seem to have the plastic screws.  How do I remove those?

Thank you,

Tom

I would check the GM part numbers for the 2006 seal and make sure it's the same compared to the 2013 seal since it actually is sealing EXT cladding parts. Considering the time and effort to remove the Snugtop and two upper cladding parts  with the risk of breaking cladding clips on both and damaging the seals you may want to try using a gasket seal reconditioning product GM makes for the seals first to see if it will re-hydrate and restore the 2013 seals. If this doesn't work I would just buy  a seal for the 2013 from a dealer or a company like Steele Rubber Products.

Okay...thank you. 

By the way, I have discovered that everything from the midgate back (except the actual tailgate skin) is identical for both the 2006 and 2013. This includes the seals.

Tom

RaleighBermudaBlu said:
There is something that looks like black caulk holding the seals to the body.  What is best for resealing?
Weatherstripping adhesive is what I would use.  https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M

Back