• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

When adding Forced Induction what upgrades should I do?

redheadedrod

SM 2017
PM 2015
Looking at boosting my '03 5.3.

The engine is running solid at this point with over 280k miles on it. I did have some re-manufactured heads installed a couple years ago due to cracked heads. Truck runs very smooth and no issues. Drivetrain is pretty solid also. Not burning any oil.

So to get ready for this I am looking at what I need to plan to do...

Looks like at a minimum I will be doing new oil pump, pickup tube etc, and timing chain. Beyond that what should I be looking at as an easy bolt on to help the truck run better? Thinking a CAM might help some as well as stronger valve springs? Would different rockers also be helpful?

I will likely go with a forged bottom end later on but for now I am just looking at what I can do with what I have. Not going to try Drag Racing this truck anytime in the near future.

I was poking around on Amazon and happened to come across this twin turbo kit and just had to think about it if nothing else.

I guess it doesn't hurt to freshen things up on a 2003 motor and drive-train but may not be necessary on some of that stuff if you consider a supercharger instead of a turbo setup. From many things I have read turbos are good for top speed at max rpm but a supercharger is more street-able and gives you torque at lower usable rpms with no turbo lag.
If you read through the older posts about the Magnuson supercharger mod many members have done they all seem very happy with the usable performance given and the lack of wear and tear to the motor and drive-train.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

Main reason I am looking at this is because of pricing. The Magnuson SC I can't find for less than $7000.

Might be "fun" to play with this for now and replace with the SC later. When I decide to go with a SC I would rebuild the block to support more power and be more durable.. Since it is at 280k now it will be about 300k when I decide to do that.

Ill go look at the thread you posted and see what it says. I know the SC is better but I am 2+ years out from being able to go that route.. I could do the Turbo this winter.

Rodney

I understand what you are saying and I would never encourage anyone to get in too deep financially especially on a vehicle that is going to do nothing but depreciate and unfortunately deteriorate over time. There are many Hotrods in the marketplace that the owners have spent $100,000 or more on restoring a car that they may be lucky to get $30,000 for when they sell. Otherwise they consider it a family legacy and pass it down to younger generation in their family if they have fond memories and an emotional attachment to that specific vehicle.
That being said I would ask myself what would I be spending the money for and what do I intend to accomplish with the mod? I would think of things like only spending time and money once and not having to change things every couple of years. I would also prefer to use a complete kit from one company especially if it has a drive-train warranty so in the event that something bad happened you would have one place to go to instead if you make an at home Frakensteined combo of parts then each company could blame the other and you are stuck. I would trust the supercharger company and fully explain your condition to them and follow their recommendations since they have years of experience and know what runs best with their equipment.
I know it's hard for almost everyone in today's immediate gratification  society but it may save you some money and stress in the long run to save your money and whichever way you go you do it right once and not have a pile of parts that you are trying to sell later.

Ok, lets not worry about value of the end product ok and lets stop the discussion about if a SC would be better... I KNOW it would be better but I can't do that NOW, unless you have a line on a full Maggy setup for under $3k. Also not worried about any warranties on the engine etc...  We are talking about a truck with a value of like $3k-$5k. 

This thread is about how to get my truck ready for forced induction regardless if that means a twin turbo today or a maggy in like 2-3 years.

I already plan to pull the pan and replace the oil pickup and o-ring. The consideration of forced induction has now brought me to needing to do the oil pump and timing chain set. Since I am doing all of that then I am also looking at getting a different CAM and possibly valve springs if necessary.
I will have an HP Tuner credit for my truck. I am getting a tune for my CTS wagon and will get the credit for my truck at the same time. Will Overkill will help with the tune when I get to that stage. But I may buy HP Tuners teaching disk that tells you how to do it yourself so I can tweak it on my own.

So while I have my engine apart I am looking at suggestions for what to do to it. Please note that I plan to pull this engine back apart in about 2-3 years or outright replace it with a long block setup for high HP forced induction depending on my experiences these next couple years. This is a learning tool for me...
So please help me learn about making a better motor...

Rodney

- Forged rotating assembly preferred, but not absolutely necessary.  Stock components will support 600rwhp easy enough, provided the tune is good and fuel supply is good.
- high volume oil pump (not high pressure)
- long tube headers (if you don't have those already)
- boost specific cam tailored for your goals (and required accessories: springs & pushrods)
- LS7 lifters or GM Performance Lifters
- SFI-spec Harmonic Damper (ATI, Powerbond, Fluidampr, Innovators West, etc.)
- IWIS C5R timing chain, LS2 tensioner (any build, not just F/I)

Back