• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

4wd not used - causes clunking

Gaurang

I have been looking at buying an Avalanche and in my neck of the woods 4wd seldom gets used by many. The two I have gone to look at were fine until I went through the 4wd gears and once back into 2wd a CLUNKING sound started afterwards when trying to go through the hears.
It makes me think it is the transfer case and because those gears see little use it is not engaging well?
Thoughts?
I am tempted to ditch my search and get an Escalade EXT because of its AWD and MAYBE less issues with gearing.

I'd love to get some help on the direction to go because I am getting discouraged with the Avalanche search.

I want the 4wd for off roading on our logging roads, getting out in the bush and being safe when the snow hits as we don't have road services and you're pretty much stranded for a few weeks a year without a good vehicle.

When you tested the 4wd did you do it in dirt or slippery surface or on hard dry pavement? As the manual states you shouldn't drive in 4wd on dry pavement especially making hard turns...

I have been driving 4wd Suburbans and Avs since 1988 and have not had any transfer case or transmission issues (AVs since 2004). I don't have any issues but I do read and follow the advice in the owner's manual for proper proceedures and conditions to engage and disengage the 4wd system.
I am NOT saying you are the fault since I don't know the maintenance and history of the AVs you test drove and they could be neglected or abused in their life. I also don't know what years you test drove and their mileage and overall condition.
You may want to take some time and read the manuals in the Resources section of this website........

Good luck with your search.

I would try to find a soft dirt or at least gravel road to then put it in 4wd so you can allow slippage and not bind up the gears and other parts. Only other way I know is take it to a garage and put it on a lift to check the wheels rotating when engaged.

Gaurang said:
... I want the 4wd for off roading on our logging roads, getting out in the bush and being safe when the snow hits as we don't have road services and you're pretty much stranded for a few weeks a year without a good vehicle.

While I am bias towards the EXT and the AWD, it probably would not be the best choice if you intend to go off road.

I have found it does well in the limited snow and ice we get in our area.

But even a skilled driver can manage in some pretty decent snow in even a 2WD vehicle.

With the AWD, Stabilitrac and Traction Control system, it is very difficult to even break the tires loose on wet pavement.

So, flinging the truck around on slick pavement takes quite a bit of effort.

The truck just puts the power down to the pavement and off it goes.

Which is fine by me.

The AWD system is more suited for on road performance.

My feeling it just feels more sure footed during hard acceleration, especially on slippery surfaces and in hard cornering.

Most of the time, you just drive along and don't give it a second thought.

So, 4WD if you need better traction off road and AWD if you drive mainly on road.

Back