• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What kind of performance mod for more HP?

old skool

I'm looking to give my avalanche a little more power. I'm not trying to race anyone, but I am tired of not being able to accelerate from a stop faster than some compact cars. I looking to go the cheapest way, don't want to break the bank.

If your truck is flex fuel then getting a tune and running E85 will do it...

Otherwise there really isn't anything "easy" you are going to do to your truck without spending some cash.

Cold Air Intakes are more likely going to SLOW your truck down due to heat soak of the engine. But will sound meaner...

You can do a gear change but that will effect your mileage and isn't going to be cheap.

You could throw Nitrous on there but that would eventually be more expensive than forced induction.
There is a $2000 twin turbo kit but I have been told those kits tend to come apart and destroy your engine.

Rodney

The cheapest thing to do is change your way of thinking and instead of trying to think about the performance be thankful for the comfortable ride, people hauling comfort and cargo/towing  and multi-function abilities of your AV. (How would those cars compare to the AV in those areas.)

Ignoring all the above in my post, if you want to improve performance you will have to follow the old saying of "How much performance can you afford?"
I would suggest if you do attempt to modify your AV you should save some money and get a well balanced system and not Frankenstein a collection of parts together or you will create problems. Something along the lines of a Magnusson supercharger kit and maybe a Corsa exhaust setup, they are not cheap but the research has already been done by them and have been road tested by members of this site with many positive reviews.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

https://www.corsaperformance.com/collections/2007-chevrolet-avalanche-5-3l-v8/products/3-0-sport-cat-back-14246?variant=624053518352

I'd say the cheapest way is to put more air in your tires.  Probably won't make you much power but it is likely the cheapest.

In my opinion, your next steps are an upgraded camshaft, custom tune and long tube headers. If you are going all out and have some real money to throw at the project, strap on that supercharger like Vaeagle notes.

Cams:
https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3251-camshaft-packages_chevrolet-tahoe-2007.aspx

Tune:
https://www.diablewtune.com/

Plenty of options for each, the links above should be starting points for research.

I have not seen it asked yet but:

HOW much you wanna spend?

Cheap is subjective and doing nothing is cheapest

Wanna go fast???  There is no cheap way!!!  Especially with a LS motor in a VERY heavy vehicle.

I just putter about with the Avalanche and drive it easy - treat it nicely.  It really doesn't matter if the little import driver beats me from a red light.  I know I could make all of his orifices pucker with a short ride in the S10.  If I break it, I still have the Avalanche (and others) to drive! 

An Avalanche is NOT a sporty vehicle and is WAY too heavy to perform as you describe.  On the up-side, recently got 13 MPG pulling the S10 at 65 MPH on the Interstate with the A/C running - and this with a full size luxury 4WD.

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_145031407_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170930_145031407_HDR.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 6
ygmn said:
I have not seen it asked yet but:

HOW much you wanna spend?

Cheap is subjective and doing nothing is cheapest

I would consider spending $500 to get some added umph...no more than that. It's not that important.

For $500, press the tow/haul button every time you put it into Drive, basically a different tune(shift pattern). You pay for it over time with slightly less MPG.

just buy a new computer tuner like they sell all over...

or a new tune from someone who can do for you...

Otherwise save the $500 for gas.

ygmn said:
just buy a new computer tuner like they sell all over...

or a new tune from someone who can do for you...

Otherwise save the $500 for gas.

Gets my vote and is the best bang for the buck on a budget I had the hypertech (y)

What I did was added Edelbrock shorty headers, replaced muffler with Flow master, Spectre cold air kit, performance tune from someone here done a good job. I removed fan shroud and fan added late model chevy truck electric OEM fans cleared up a lot space easier to work on, upgraded the Alternator from 105 amps to 145, added two air scoops to the hood for better heat exchange and added Oil and transmission coolers..Towing 20 foot Lance TT..

Loggie said:
Gets my vote and is the best bang for the buck on a budget I had the hypertech (y)

I see several different hypertech/ diablo programmers on amazon. Is there one that anyone would recommend?

Unless you can get those programmers for dirt cheap I wouldn't bother.

Very marginal gains at best. You are better off getting a tune based off your truck directly from a reputable tuner.
None of the hand held units are worth their price. Especially when custom tunes for your truck can be had for not much more and can be customized to your goals.

Still nothing close to changing the cam first...  Summit racing has CAMs for our truck in line cost wise with one of those so-called tuner modules. And a cam paired with a custom reputable tuner... And your truck will feel totally different.

Rodney

Back