• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Damn tailgate wouldn't open...and then...

CarMech1969

Good day fellow Avy fans  :cool:
This morning, when I arrived at work, I tried to unlock my tailgate...but it simply would not open, after much fighting and finagling  :E:
Said pee on it, will mess with it when I get home.
Pulled back into the parking lot at the end of the day with my mail van...and this is what I see...lol

IMG-1479.jpg

I dunno. I'm thinking maybe the tailgate got frozen shut. One thing's for sure - you gotta slam that sucker good to make it close - bet you I adjusted those strikers too tight a couple of summers ago when I was chasing a rattle, lol.
Anyhow, one of the more bizarre occurrences with my Avalanche.

CarMech1969

Yeah, I have found super cold or icy weather is not conducive to opening the tailgate.  I've resorted to lowerring the mortgage and kicking at the tailgate before. 

frito said:
  I've resorted to lowerring the mortgage and kicking at the tailgate before.
Huh my house is paid for so I guess my chances of that problem will be less?  :laugh:

Vaeagleav said:
Huh my house is paid for so I guess my chances of that problem will be less?  :laugh:
Wish it was that easy.  Gotta love auto correct.  :beating:  Guess it didn't like midgate.

frito said:
Wish it was that easy.  Gotta love auto correct.  :beating:  Guess it didn't like midgate.

Haha!! When I first saw your post, I was like "Huh?"  ;D
Today, I readjusted the strikers, and I have the tailgate working smoothly. Had to take the handle cover off so I could get in there with white lithium grease and lube up the mechanism. Works perfect now.
That being said, I noticed that the black plastic that surrounds the metal post of the striker is all chewed up.
Are they replaceable? Or do you have to buy the whole striker?

CarMech1969

EDIT: Never mind, just noticed that RockAuto sells them, they are not that expensive!!  (y)

Also, the next time you unscrew that plastic key panel for inspection, make sure and use some good lube on the key latch mechanism.  They can seize after many years.  A little bit of quality oil lube goes a long way  (I used some bicycle chain lube)

Also, the next time you unscrew that plastic key panel for inspection, make sure and use some good lube on the key latch mechanism. They can seize after many years. A little bit of quality oil lube goes a long way (I used some bicycle chain lube)
White Lithium grease after a good washing with a degreaser.

Back