• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bogging down while Turning

MTCobra

This weird issue started this morning. My Avalanche bogs down while making sharp turns. In fact it literally came to a stop while turning right after I backed out of my parking spot. I suspect it may be the transfer case, but not sure. If I keep the vehicle straight or small turns on the highway, no problem. Any ideas??

MTCobra said:
It is set to "Auto". Should I put it in 2WD and test it?

I would switch to 2WD to test.

What conditions are you driving in that make you think you should be using AUTO 4WD?

Yes, auto keeps 4x4 on way longer than appropriate for snowy city streets. Test in 2wd.

Problem solved! Chalk it up to human error. When I got in this morning, my knee hit the dash and I think it knocked it into 4Hi. So I drove it in 4 Hi for 35 miles without realizing it. Switched it down to 2WD and good to go. I feel really stupid.....thanks for all the comments!
Jake

MTCobra said:
Problem solved! Chalk it up to human error. When I got in this morning, my knee hit the dash and I think it knocked it into 4Hi. So I drove it in 4 Hi for 35 miles without realizing it. Switched it down to 2WD and good to go. I feel really stupid.....thanks for all the comments!
Jake
Front axle stays locked in Auto mode.  That is what you felt when turning, even though transfer case was not truly connected to the front.  Auto only works when you have already lost traction.  Why I never use it.  I can push the button.

Glad you figured it out and it was a free fix! My kids have kicked on 4x4 or auto without me realizing when playing in the truck while I wash or work on it, usually I notice as soon as I back out but I made it to the work parking lot once in the rain before I figured it out... I really wish there was an instrument panel indicator for auto4 or 4x4 because the steering wheel blocks the actual knob from my vision, and the indicator light is tiny anyway.

Because of this thread and 2004Slickside's post, I googled the auto vs 4x4 and came up with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9sGeAzoPE  which explains auto vs 4x4, there might be changes in later model years but I learned much from this video. Thanks for that note slickside, because i didn't realize that auto was different than 2 wheel vs 4 wheel.

Back