• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Running too rich?

03NHAVY

I have a new avalanche, not even two months old, it has a little over 7500 miles on it. I've noticed that i have a little residue on my tailpipe. It is on the exterior of the pipe about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The interior is all covered in the soot. You can kinda wipe it off with your finger. Some people say that they run rich for the first couple of miles, but mine seems to be still doing it.

I'm not that rough on it, i do get on it occasionally leaving a toll both and run through first, second and third. And i followed the brake in by the book mostly, i didn't completely baby it, but i wasn't stomping on it either.

I would like to know if you think everything is ok, or not. Oh another thing, it seems to have a slighty rough idle, sometimes it seems to dip a little low, at night you can notice the lights dim for a second. The rough idle is only when it is in gear, not when it is in park.

Ok, long enough post, am i crazy or do i have a problem? If a got a programmer would the new air/fuel ratios fix my problem if i have one, or will it just give me a new air/fuel ratio with the same rich mixture?

Ok, i'm hurting my head, this is enough, thanks for any responses.

Matt.

I have the same soot and complained about it from day one....but I never see smoke or soot coming out of tailpipe,..,...and no indicator lights on engine or check engine lights ever in 32000 miles...

so I do not know.....

Thanks for the quick reply, at least it makes me feel a little better.

I'm a little hesitant putting on an after market exhaust as i do not want to darken the pipes.

Anyone else have input, will a programmer help me?

Which one will get rid of the TM system

Superchips
HyperTech
Diablo

I would like to be able to run regular gas, but getting rid of TM is way more important to me.

Because of it it feels slower than my f-150 i traded in for it. By alot. If i could just get a little more of the line/ seat of your pants feel i would be happy.

Can't complain other than that, i'm getting 16-17 religously.

Thanks again, matt.

03NHAVY said:
Thanks for the quick reply, at least it makes me feel a little better.

I'm a little hesitant putting on an after market exhaust as i do not want to darken the pipes.

Anyone else have input, will a programmer help me?

Which one will get rid of the TM system

Superchips
HyperTech
Diablo

I would like to be able to run regular gas, but getting rid of TM is way more important to me.

Because of it it feels slower than my f-150 i traded in for it. By alot. If i could just get a little more of the line/ seat of your pants feel i would be happy.

Can't complain other than that, i'm getting 16-17 religously.

Thanks again, matt.
there is a thread ab out TM...way in the back of this section...try a search for it..it is explained and some other comments......

I also suggest reading what others have done for performance by reading through this section....HTH

Relax it is perfectly normal with todays low compression engines. It is not rich - the cat just does a good job cleaning the exhaust - the white tips of the past are pre catalytic converter - dont sweat the small stuff - if you were too rich then the CEL would come on with a rich exhaust code. Trust me on this - all is OK!

BTW I have a hypertech and used the high octane advance curve setting - I run a 180 thermostat, flowmaster exhaust and a K&N FIPK - my pipe is also black. It does not bother me in the least.
I feel with this setup my performance is better - 11H would say it is all in my head - maybe but I like it!
Now if you want real performance talk to sparky or Gandy and check out a supercharger!

03NHAVY welcome to the club. Think your experience is normal or you'd have a check engine light by now.

FWIW, I've got the HPIII and it will make a big difference in how the truck drives. (y)

You may want to consider upgrading your plug wires. I got MSD 8.5's but most are now going with Taylor Thundervolts. You'll notice a smoother idle and improved response on the low end.

YMMV,

Joe

Thank you all for your reply's, i now feel alot better. Was getting a little worried spending this much on a vehicle and to have problems with it.

This is my first brand new vehicle. I had it brought up from conneticut to portland me. It is my baby. I think my girlfriend is jealous, she just doesnt' understand.

Thanks again. Matt

Back