• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fall Color GTG in Colorado (Pics, Pg. 4)

ColoradoAV

SM 2003
Hi everyone,

Seeing that we had such a great time at the last recent GTG, those of us who attended and I would really like to fit in another GTG before the snow falls :). It would be great to do more off-roading as that seems to be by far the best way to have one great time (y). I would have to say that this GTG has to be before Oct. 1 (my b-day) because there will be snow higher up in elevation.

Last year, we had an off-roading GTG on Sept. 29 and there was a little snow. We only topped out at 11,500 ft too. As much fun as snow is, we have to do this before it gets too deep.

I know for a fact that Saturday September 20th and maybe Saturday September 27th are out for me. Any other weekend date will probably work.

So let's get talking about another GTG and keep the chapter together because this is a great group of people (y).

We would love to do another GTG before the snow falls. Sunday the 21st is the best day for us. Hope to get some reaction on this one. Thanks for a great time on the last GTG.

Hi Jimmy & CO Gang

I know I won't be able to do anything in Sept - my Sept got booked yesterday with a long business trip and a close friend is getting married in Europe, so I just got an unplanned European vaction this fall :) :) :)

You guys would be surprised to see how nice my AV looks today - it is clean and has 3 coats of Zanio, tires and wheels shined up, engine cleaned and the interior - man there was a lot of stuff to take off after Sunday :) It was well worth it

Hey all!

I'd love to get out for a fall GTG... I'm available the weekend of Sept. 13th or 14th & Saturday the 20th. ;D

The interest in this GTG hasn't been quite what I had hoped, but there is still hope. To make this all worthwhile, it would be great to get people like Blue_03 and Castle_Rock_AV to reply to this thread saying they're interested. They were great to have around in the last GTG.

Right now, it is looking like 4 Avs at the most. This chapter is so much bigger and I know we can do much better :).

Let's keep talking...

Jimmy - I might suggest we set a date - we seemed to get stronger response on the last GTG once a date was set.

4 AV's having fun is better than none - I wish I could do a Sept GTG but life is busy in Sept and I can't - need to spend time with mama when I get off the road.

Sorry, Jimmy.
Have not been ignoring the thread, just trying to free up my schedule. I will be leaving town Sunday Morning the 14th. I should be free the 21st and be able to take my family.

Here are my suggestions

1- Start in Breckenridge - Take Boreas Pass Trail as described in CO Back Road and 4-Wheel Drive Trails- Book 1 Trip #49 - Rated as Easy. This takes you down to COMO near Fairplay on Route 285

Take Georgia Pass - CO Back Road and 4-wheel Drive Trails- Book 1 Trip # 50 - Medium - back to route 9 north of Breckenridge with, maybe, a side trip up to Jefferson Lake (easy) which is off this trail.

This should be a real scenic trail and a bit less stressful on your dad than the last one.

2 - The second option would be to start in Monument or the Springs and take the Rampart Range Road (CS to w of Monument) and Mt Herman Road (Monument to Rampart Range Road - Both of these are easy and should be clear into October

- If we do this - we could grab a quick bite in CS and then drive up Pikes Peak before the road closes.

I would like to do the 1st option just because I have not explored much around Breckenridge. We should save Pikes Peak for a longer GTG - maybe next spring - where we can mix it with some more difficult trails that we can do over a 2-3 day period.

I agree with Mark (sorry you cannot make it) let's just set a date and try to refine the details.

Steve

Steve - the nice thing about route 1 is that Jimmy's family has a nice mtn cabin by Jefferson Lake - we ended the 1st CO GTG there last year with a cook out

The 21st is the best date for us. As far as the two GTG options, I like the 1st one better. I've been down Rampart Range road in my Jeep and to be quite honest, "BORING!!!!". There are alot of blind switchbacks and I nearly had a head on collision with a toyota who was being stupid. It's a very long road and the scenery is mostly just trees until you get farther south. Although there are some trails that venture off of Rampart Range that are a little more difficult, but nothing like Kensington Peak. I'm trying to talk Corrie into driving the AV and I can drive my Jeep. But to be quite honest, I'd feel pretty small against all the AV's. LOL. Hope to get more of a response on this GTG.

The Breck - Georgia Pass - cabin route is a really nice route and we had a great time doing it last year. It would be nice to do that again :).

As far as I know, the 21st still works for me.

Can you make it on the 21st Avalanchuck?? How about Colorado AV? It would be great to have a few out of towner's join us again.

I would say let's do the 21st and meet at 9:00 again. This time we will pack some food. That is why I had to split last time - the baby, the parents and the wife all whining.........

Is there anyplace in Frisco that we can meet off the highway? Or a restaurant or gas station on the way into Breckenridge where we can meet??

Castle Rock,
I wish I would have known that y'all where gettin hungry. We brought an ice chest full of stuff. I have a problem with over packing. I guess it's due to the time that I got stuck in the snow in the woods of Arizona when I was hunting and we ended up staying there a lot longer than we had planned. Almost ran out of food. But for future GTG's, just let us know. We always bring a bunch of stuff. Hope to see ya at the next GTG.
Eric & Corrie

Thanks Eric.
I had not really worried about it - but I appreciate the offer. Just one of those things I have to think about in advance. I was so pumped up about going I even forgot to tell them to bring jackets.

Steve

Sorry all I have been missing action Lately. Been really really really busy. I wish I could make it on the 21st. I have two flag football games and I close on my house the 22nd. The summer session this year we took number one on the flag football league I was on. 8 and 0 baby. I would like to see you guys again. Maybe we have to do a dinner again sometime. I'll try to keep in touch better now.

Castle_Rock_AV said:
Can you make it on the 21st Avalanchuck?? How about Colorado AV? It would be great to have a few out of towner's join us again.

I would say let's do the 21st and meet at 9:00 again. This time we will pack some food. That is why I had to split last time - the baby, the parents and the wife all whining.........

Is there anyplace in Frisco that we can meet off the highway? Or a restaurant or gas station on the way into Breckenridge where we can meet??

Ah the 21st is out for me too... :6: the company I work for is having a picnic at the Rockies game that day

Well, now I have a complication for the 21st :6:. My dad is now the music director at a church so that takes a big chunk out of our Sundays. He wouldn't get done with church until noon, then he would have to come home and change, etc and I wouldn't see us getting to Brekenridge any sooner than 2:30, and that may be getting too late.

So I am not sure what to do ???. It seems all of a sudden like a lot of people aren't going to be able to make it.

Even though I am not going - how the Saturday the 20th instead of the 21st which doesn't seem to be working for the majority now.

Blueruck said:
Even though I am not going - how the Saturday the 20th instead of the 21st which doesn't seem to be working for the majority now.

Well, I have a cross country meet at 9 am in Aurora that day. That means that we would probably be able to meet in Breck before 2:30 but it would still be late.

Both days all of a sudden are not looking good for us :6:.

Jimmy,
I just went over the all the posts and it seems like this GTG is quickly falling apart due to the 21st being a bad day. :E: There wasn't too much talk about the 13th, so to try and get as many people there as we can, how about we do it that day? I know that's cutting it close for Castle Rock because he is going out of town on the 14th. I have to work both the 13th & 14th, but I'm sure I can put in for some leave and take the weekend off. I really would like to have a GTG before the snow falls and I have plenty of leave built up. So, with that being said, who all would like to do this GTG on the 13th? ???

Hey guys, I have just been waiting for dates to be set before I jumped in. Most of our summers are quite full and we have been working on building a new cabin up in Red Feather (have one up there currently - in avatar picture) but will try to attend when something is setup.

I have been giving the AV a good workout with the gound prep for the cabin, (truck mode) acting as taxi this week with family, (SUV mode) and yesterday I went to my uncle's farm to shoot skeet - hauled lots of guns, bluerocks (not bluerucks ;D) and family. Had to put it in 4x4 to get out to the site (mud and rocks back through the fields onto a nice hilltop) then we had 3 levels of stadium seating (tailgate, 2 pannels of hard cover and the roof with shotguns safe under the bed covers ). I still say it's the perfect vehicle!

Back