• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Locking Differential Missing?

E

emiles

I just got back from an oil change from a reputable Amoco station in my area, and the mechanic said that he suspected that I didn't really have a locking differential, even though I have the Z66 and it states on the sticker that it has this option.

The mechanic said he used to work for GM and said that if it was locking then when one wheel was rotated by hand, then the other wheel will rotate in the same direction (done while vehicle is on lift).

If this is true, then I don't really have the locking differential. Does anyone know of a way to confirm whether it is locking or not? Does this mechanic know what he is saying?

Look on the option sticker on the bottom of the glove box.

Locking Diff = G80

Hope this helps

the differential will lock when one wheel loses traction and starts to spin then both wheels turn at the same time. its just like a detroit locker. that guy does not know what he is talking about :rolleyes:. if you dont believe me just do a break stand and light em up, then go back and look at your 2 strips ;D. Alex

Thanks for the comments. I'll run some field tests and let you know. I'm also going to ask the dealer mechanic if there is a way to tell what is physically on the truck without looking at stickers and other claims.

Eric

02_2500avalanche said:
the differential will lock when one wheel loses traction and starts to spin then both wheels turn at the same time. its just like a detroit locker. that guy does not know what he is talking about :rolleyes:. if you dont believe me just do a break stand and light em up, then go back and look at your 2 strips ;D. Alex

Find a Kmart parking lot - they are sort of empty these days and brake - rev to about 1500 in low and punch it - preferably without anybody in front of you - should be able to do about 10' even stock. :rolleyes:

should look like this
suburbanburnout.jpg

That pic looks like timcoscos AV before they repaired it. ;) ;) ;)

How cool would the average Suburban driving soccer-mom be if she lit up the tires like that when she picked up the boys and their friends from practice. :cool: :cool: :cool:

helmet

Back