Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Avalanche Caught on Fire!  (Read 19953 times)

onfire

Avalanche Caught on Fire!
« on: September 19, 2003, 08:34:17 AM »

My Avalanche recently caught on fire while not being driven and when I was not in the immediate vicinity. I have heard of one other instance like this. I was told that wiring started that fire and that the fire start in the cab. Once I realized my truck was on fire it appeared also to be only in the cab.  However I could not get help in time and it is now a total loss.  I had not done any after market additions or changed anything in any way to the way it came. It was a 4X4.

Anyone have any fire problems with their Avalanche or heard of such?

Thanks for your help.

BUDMAN

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 08:36:42 AM »

Sorry to hear about your loss.

The only time I saw one before was when someone was torching it for insurance.  Hope you're able to get another soon.
Lil Black AV

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 08:37:00 AM »

I have only heard of one truck on fire and there are pics....on here somewhere.....very old from 2002.....I do not remember cause but it was from outside forces though I am pretty sure,..,.

I have never heard of an AVY catching on fire the way you stated......

Good lcuk
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Blueruck

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 09:24:52 AM »

I have only seen a couple pic's of AV's burned - one was in the NY area and an insurance job and the other was a car carrier that caught fire and burned a few AV's

Sorry about your  fire and hope the Insurance covers it

Sicilianos Avy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 09:42:51 AM »

Here's the thread http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2060
If you want more pics, I'll post them or e-mail them to you.

Manny
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 09:53:24 AM by Edward K »

Sicilianos Avy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 09:44:04 AM »

Blueruck! Can't beleive your Av caught fire! It's time to see how your insurance company wil support you. Good luck...glad noone was injured.

Blueruck's Av didn't catch fire!

CA-AV

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • The Chevy Avalanche is sweet!
    • Webshots
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 09:54:30 AM »

Sorry to hear about your loss but you are the first person I heard of that had a fire in their AV.
2002 Z71 Chevy Avalanche
http://community.webshots.com/user/avshots

Alpine HU, Alpine comp spkrs, LED HU mount, rear camera, Escalade cluster, billet A/C cntrls, visor decals, custom sunroof, tint, Garmin nav, LED Int lights, OEM brush guard/chrome nerf bars, Rancho 9000XL shocks, Escalade rims, BFG AT, airhorn, amber, chrome tow hooks, Volant-Powercore, Flowmaster 40 w/chrome tip, billet bowtie, tranny cooler, 4-fender, Gatorback, SportWing, blink 3rd brake light, Piaa wipers.

Marcus

• Sit Back and Throttle Up!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 10:00:02 AM »

onfire,

I see you registered this morning.  Welcome to the club.  What type of Av did you have?

I've never seen or heard of any mechanical or electrical problems with the Av that would start a fire.  But...you can never rule out a manufacturing defect.  I've seen a number of torched Avs for insurance purposes (I do insurance fraud investigations for a living).  Either way, its such a waste of a good vehicle.   Hope you're back on the road soon in a new Av!  
2002 / Indigo Blue / 1500 / 4WD
Westin Nerf Bars, WeatherFlectors All Around, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Rollin' on Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos

CHEVY AVALANCHE:  Six thousand pounds of the best American iron ever assembled south of the border!

Spanky

« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »

I had some bad wiring in the driver's power seat.  It was draining the battery.  I remember smelling some burning plastic one day then it went away.  Didn't think anything of it until the day the battery was dead after not driving the AV for 2 days.

Took the AV in under warranty and they found the problem and had it fixed within 1 hour.  Hmmmm ......

Could it be they knew where to look?
'03 Z71, Pewter, buckets, Bose, running boards, roof rack, molded flaps, K&N drop in, 3.73, full time amber DRL's, 893 fogs, Cool Blue low beams, Tru-Cool TOC, EZ-Slider, under bumper reverse lights

OviedoAv

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • DougyD wants to give me a hug!
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2004, 12:51:55 PM »

There were also pics on here, or a link to pics, when an AV burned in someones carport. Looked about the same as the last pic.

95Sportside

• Rear brakes are how much ?!?!?
« Reply #10 on: March 5, 2004, 14:54:01 PM »

My parking brake sliced through a wire bundle under my dash and started sparking real bad.  If I had not caught it when it happend it might have caused a fire.

-Dave
'03 Dark Grey Metalic Z66, - Traded for:
'11 Black Z71

junqueguy (junkguy)

• ITS A START...
    • MONTYS AUTO PARTS
« Reply #11 on: March 5, 2004, 15:13:38 PM »

I never heard of this but, I may be willing to buy it.
Before you sign the insurance check ask them how much they will give you and let you keep the truck.
You may be able to get more this way!

PUNISHER

« Reply #12 on: March 8, 2004, 19:05:56 PM »

that sucks.
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

motrctyman

• 03 Pewter Z66
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 10:34:26 AM »

Call Chevrolet Customer Assistance.   The very minute you use the word "Fire" you will be transfered to a group called 1241 or Product Allegation Resource (PAR).  

They will have someone go in great detail as to the particulars of the event as well may send a GM Representative out to inspect the vehicle.

disneydaddy

• Will work for a trip to Disneyworld
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 17:35:23 PM »

Electrical fires in vehicles are a fairly common cause. a short can build heat quickly and within minutes your baby is a pile of smoking rubble !

rexbandit

• I happen to LIKE plastic!!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 17:38:47 PM »

Here's the thread http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2060
If you want more pics, I'll post them or e-mail them to you.

Manny

Still looks pretty driveable to me ;) Barely melted the cladding. That is some good stuff :1:
'03 Z71 LPM AV : towing pkg, GM Nerf bars

My mods:Rod's power tailgate mod, FT Amber DRL's, All 4 on high (Diode style), Headrest mod, mag-lite mod, Painted Steering wheel bowtie, Painted intake and electrical box cover, Tinted front windows, New TribalAv Decals & Reflective lettering,  NEW Bowtie!!

cigarman

• THE A.B.C'S OF LIFE...AV'S, BBQ'S & CIGARS
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 17:55:49 PM »

looking at that  pix is going to give me worse nightmares than my wedding day!
2004 Z71 OFF ROAD PACKAGE 4+4, BLACK, FLOWMASTER 50 WITH DUAL OUT!  CHROME BILLET BOWTIE, AMBER DRL'S, CHROME LISCECE PLATE COVER FRONT, CHROME GRILL GUARD, 20"PIRANAH RIMS, CHROME "AVALANCHE" HITCH COVER, FULL ON-STAR, XM SATELLITE, POWER SUNROOF, CLADDED

MrFleming007

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 18:14:48 PM »

My parking brake sliced through a wire bundle under my dash and started sparking real bad.  If I had not caught it when it happend it might have caused a fire.

-Dave

I had this same thing happen in my truck- the parking brake mechanism was rubbing or pinching a bright orange power wire that goes to the drivers seat. I discovered it on accident one day while vacuuming my floorboard. I stuck the nozzel up in the corner and sparks started flying!!  :o Freacked me out to say the least. A little electrical tape and slight relocation of the wiring (with the help of a zip tie) and everything is good again  8)
2004 Avalanche

Gone but not Forgotten
'02 Summit White Z71 Avalanche Traded 11-13-05
4" Trailmaster lift, Centerline Cobra 23 wheels, 33/12.50 BFG All Terrain KOs, Flowmaster dual exhaust, visualogic head rest monitors, roof marker lights

dprg644

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71 Victory Red
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 18:21:24 PM »

Really sorry to hear about the loss :6:

2003 Z71 Victory Red with cladding, hard loaded, leather, Bose etc.,  Westin brushguard, Manik tail light guards, K&N filter, vent visors, grill inserts, custom tint, PIAA upgraded bulbs, PIAA Driving lights, Custom decals by Tribal, custom Bowtie by Les, Chrome Helo Maxx-6 Wheels and amber DRL's for mod's.  

Joe Pollick

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 15:51:20 PM »

My Avalanche recently caught on fire while not being driven and when I was not in the immediate vicinity. I have heard of one other instance like this. I was told that wiring started that fire and that the fire start in the cab. Once I realized my truck was on fire it appeared also to be only in the cab.  However I could not get help in time and it is now a total loss.  I had not done any after market additions or changed anything in any way to the way it came. It was a 4X4.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know how this thread from 09/19 came back to life but you guys really think sombody had an Av just "go up in flames" then signed on with the screen name "onfire" and never post again?

Key phrase: The third word, "recently"? You might have had a Krispy Kreme doughnut or rolled a stop sign or had your computer lock up "recently" but if your truck burst into flames, I'll bet you'd know what day it was, right?

I got a buck that says the original poster of this thread went back to ilovemygoofyfordtruck.com.

Joe
My mother didn't raise smart kids, she raised fat kids.

PUNISHER

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 15:56:19 PM »

Thanks for your help.

sorry to hear about your loss.  good thing there were no mods to blame the fire on.  another reason why i think i will not mod this AV.
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

RichUF

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • UNP1MPD
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2004, 19:25:56 PM »

troll
[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]

03Lanche

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Truck? SUV? Nope, its Both.
    • Mikes Photo Album
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 19:33:16 PM »

I am with RichUF on this.  One post....  A truck just BURSTING into flames? No details?......

GMMD

Re: Avalanche Caught on Fire!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 15:42:51 PM »

Perhaps it's too late to answer you, but my Avalanche 2005, 1500, Z71 have the same destiny. It was just parin my garage, and it fire without any reason. Good bye, my Avalanche and part of my house. Good luck not to be on, when it happened !
It's the same case like in Ferraris ??

Vaeagleav

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
Re: Avalanche Caught on Fire!
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 19:40:09 PM »

Perhaps it's too late to answer you, but my Avalanche 2005, 1500, Z71 have the same destiny. It was just parin my garage, and it fire without any reason. Good bye, my Avalanche and part of my house. Good luck not to be on, when it happened !
It's the same case like in Ferraris ??
I looked at your other posts GMMD and you said your AV was underwater for several days , It this the same AV that you now say burned up for no reason?
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 23 queries.