• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Avalanche Caught on Fire!

O

onfire

My Avalanche recently caught on fire while not being driven and when I was not in the immediate vicinity. I have heard of one other instance like this. I was told that wiring started that fire and that the fire start in the cab. Once I realized my truck was on fire it appeared also to be only in the cab. However I could not get help in time and it is now a total loss. I had not done any after market additions or changed anything in any way to the way it came. It was a 4X4.

Anyone have any fire problems with their Avalanche or heard of such?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

The only time I saw one before was when someone was torching it for insurance. Hope you're able to get another soon.

I have only heard of one truck on fire and there are pics....on here somewhere.....very old from 2002.....I do not remember cause but it was from outside forces though I am pretty sure,..,.

I have never heard of an AVY catching on fire the way you stated......

Good lcuk

I have only seen a couple pic's of AV's burned - one was in the NY area and an insurance job and the other was a car carrier that caught fire and burned a few AV's

Sorry about your fire and hope the Insurance covers it

Here's the thread http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2060
If you want more pics, I'll post them or e-mail them to you.

Manny

Attachments

• DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 287
imageswest said:
Blueruck! Can't beleive your Av caught fire! It's time to see how your insurance company wil support you. Good luck...glad noone was injured.

Blueruck's Av didn't catch fire!

onfire,

I see you registered this morning. Welcome to the club. What type of Av did you have?

I've never seen or heard of any mechanical or electrical problems with the Av that would start a fire. But...you can never rule out a manufacturing defect. I've seen a number of torched Avs for insurance purposes (I do insurance fraud investigations for a living). Either way, its such a waste of a good vehicle. Hope you're back on the road soon in a new Av!

I had some bad wiring in the driver's power seat. It was draining the battery. I remember smelling some burning plastic one day then it went away. Didn't think anything of it until the day the battery was dead after not driving the AV for 2 days.

Took the AV in under warranty and they found the problem and had it fixed within 1 hour. Hmmmm ......

Could it be they knew where to look?

There were also pics on here, or a link to pics, when an AV burned in someones carport. Looked about the same as the last pic.

My parking brake sliced through a wire bundle under my dash and started sparking real bad. If I had not caught it when it happend it might have caused a fire.

-Dave

I never heard of this but, I may be willing to buy it.
Before you sign the insurance check ask them how much they will give you and let you keep the truck.
You may be able to get more this way!

Call Chevrolet Customer Assistance. The very minute you use the word "Fire" you will be transfered to a group called 1241 or Product Allegation Resource (PAR).

They will have someone go in great detail as to the particulars of the event as well may send a GM Representative out to inspect the vehicle.

Electrical fires in vehicles are a fairly common cause. a short can build heat quickly and within minutes your baby is a pile of smoking rubble !

Sicilianos Avy said:
Here's the thread http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2060
If you want more pics, I'll post them or e-mail them to you.

Manny

Still looks pretty driveable to me ;) Barely melted the cladding. That is some good stuff (y)

95Sportside said:
My parking brake sliced through a wire bundle under my dash and started sparking real bad. If I had not caught it when it happend it might have caused a fire.

-Dave

I had this same thing happen in my truck- the parking brake mechanism was rubbing or pinching a bright orange power wire that goes to the drivers seat. I discovered it on accident one day while vacuuming my floorboard. I stuck the nozzel up in the corner and sparks started flying!! :eek: Freacked me out to say the least. A little electrical tape and slight relocation of the wiring (with the help of a zip tie) and everything is good again :cool:

onfire said:
My Avalanche recently caught on fire while not being driven and when I was not in the immediate vicinity. I have heard of one other instance like this. I was told that wiring started that fire and that the fire start in the cab. Once I realized my truck was on fire it appeared also to be only in the cab. However I could not get help in time and it is now a total loss. I had not done any after market additions or changed anything in any way to the way it came. It was a 4X4.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know how this thread from 09/19 came back to life but you guys really think sombody had an Av just "go up in flames" then signed on with the screen name "onfire" and never post again?

Key phrase: The third word, "recently"? You might have had a Krispy Kreme doughnut or rolled a stop sign or had your computer lock up "recently" but if your truck burst into flames, I'll bet you'd know what day it was, right?

I got a buck that says the original poster of this thread went back to ilovemygoofyfordtruck.com.

Joe

onfire said:

Thanks for your help.

sorry to hear about your loss. good thing there were no mods to blame the fire on. another reason why i think i will not mod this AV.

Perhaps it's too late to answer you, but my Avalanche 2005, 1500, Z71 have the same destiny. It was just parin my garage, and it fire without any reason. Good bye, my Avalanche and part of my house. Good luck not to be on, when it happened !
It's the same case like in Ferraris ??

GMMD said:
Perhaps it's too late to answer you, but my Avalanche 2005, 1500, Z71 have the same destiny. It was just parin my garage, and it fire without any reason. Good bye, my Avalanche and part of my house. Good luck not to be on, when it happened !
It's the same case like in Ferraris ??
I looked at your other posts GMMD and you said your AV was underwater for several days , It this the same AV that you now say burned up for no reason?

Back