• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Loud Clicking Noise

K

Krussell

I keep hearing a loud clicking noise when I make sharp turns at slow speeds. Has anyone esle experienced this and if so, what needs to be done to fix it? I took it to the dealership and they said it was ok just the stops by the wheels were rubbing, they greased it and said it should stop. By the time I pulled into my drive, it was doing it again.

Any ideas?

have you checked the other threads about noise in the front end and when steering?

also what version AVY do you have?

2wd or 4wd?

Krussell, There is a thread that sounds like it has an answer to your questions in it. It has a few different solutions and even a TSB number that may help.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=13699;start=msg222392#msg222392

HTH

well....my problem was a clicking noise that went turning slightly and coasting also i would hear it from 10-30 mph....it was the ring and pinion on my 4.10 rear axles.

Krussell said:
I keep hearing a loud clicking noise when I make sharp turns at slow speeds. Has anyone esle experienced this and if so, what needs to be done to fix it? I took it to the dealership and they said it was ok just the stops by the wheels were rubbing, they greased it and said it should stop. By the time I pulled into my drive, it was doing it again.

Any ideas?

1) Sounds like your dealer didn't do much of an investigation.

2) Loud pops, clicks, thunks, etc. etc. etc. are not "normal." Gads I hate when dealers cop out with that's normal.

3) I'm not hearing the sound or sitting in your Av - but a lot of good suggestions made here.

A) If you have a 4WD Av are you driving in 4-Hi or Autotrac? If you are then the differentials are going to make a lot of noise on dry pavement. In that case the noise would be normal, so under normal conditions 2-Hi.

B) It could be the intermediate shaft on the steering column that needs greasing. Hard to describe the noise.

C) As noted by others differentials would be suspect.

This thread looks like the answer... Thanks

Krussell, There is a thread that sounds like it has an answer to your questions in it. It has a few different solutions and even a TSB number that may help.

CAFCNA: Creaking noise from the front axle

HTH

Hey Krussell:

I have a 2003 Z66 and I may have had the same problem as you. Slow turns in the parking lot would produce an audible clunk from underneath the AV. Sounded like it was coming from the front. This eventually got bad enough that it was occurring almost every time.

I took it to the dealer and let them hear the problem. To make a long story short here's what they did. They checked and "installed" shims going under the crossmember. The SM told me that they installed plastic shims between the crossmember and the frame. They had a similar problem on a Sierra and it took them 2 days and multiple calls to GM to fix it. Lucky me that they had seen it before.

Even if it sounds a little odd, all I can say is that since they did it I have heard not a single snap, crackle, or pop from underneath my AV while turning at slow or fast speeds. I am extremely happy. :B: I even went and personally thanked the tech. From the look on his face you could tell that not many people show their appreciation for a good job.

I consider myself lucky since I am usually the guy that has the intermittent problem that the dealer can't find. :E:

I hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Rainman0901

If this is a problem with AVYs....it should be a problem with suburbans as they have the same undercarriage for the most part....

Anyone heard of BURBS having this problem.,..

don't know 'bout burbs but my 02 Av has this problem, and now (thanks CAFC! Just what I was looking for today!) I now have some info to pass along to the dealer - these boys need some "guidance" every now and then . . . . >:D

I have this problem (under VERY specific conditions) on my 2003 EXT. I first discovered it last winter when driving in the mountains (windy roads, snow, and ice). Of the 100s of 10 mph turns I encounted during these trips, it only did it 3 or 4 times. I thought it was my tires rubbing on the wheelwell, because I could feel the vibration in my brake pedal. I took the vehicle in for service for this. They performed inspections, drove it around for 2 days, and were unable to duplicate the vibration. I then notified GMC of the problem, and have yet to hear anything. Since then, it has done it one other time. This time I noticed the "Stability System Active" message in the DIC. Anyone else have any other insight?

M0eman

Maybe one fo the wheels slipped on the road due to all wheel drive and this triggered the computer to go into stability system mode....

Kinda like on my Z66 avy.,.,...when I take slow turns on wet roads the inner wheel spins but then the traction assist thingy comes on and it stops...

hth

Back