• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Strange Noise Coming From Bottom of Truck

gthomas

SM 2004
SM 2003
I was driving home from work last night. Passed a few cars on the way, maybe got up into the upper 70s during some of my passes. After doing my last pass, and approaching my home town, cell phone rings - just barely heard it over the cranked up Bose speakers. Turn off the radio to talk to the wife, and I notice a strange sound coming from beneath the truck, sounds like it's coming from about where the back seats are located. Sounds sort of like the wheels are picking up some dirt clods from where a farm or construction vehicle has pulled on the road and left a lot of dirt in their path. However the road looks clean, and the sound is not going away. As I slow down for traffic to say 30 or less, the sound stops. When I speed back up above 30 or so, the sound comes back. It is fairly loud and definitely annoying and a concern about what in the world is going on.

When I get home, I look under the truck from underneath the back door on the passenger side. I notice a sticker on the drive shaft is mostly loose. If the part of it not stuck to the drive shaft is pulled away from the drive shaft, it could extend 2-3 inches. Looks like it is enough such that it could be hitting something as the driveshaft turns. Sure enough, I pulled the sticker off the driveshaft - no more strange noise. I wish all the fixes for my vehicles were as easy, such as our Suburban which is at the shop getting a cracked flywheel replaced. :mad:

Back