• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

The Duramax Diesel in the Avalanche

Rescue_1

Charter Member
If they can put a big block (8.1) in the 2500, why not put the duramax (6.6) in one? Would make awesome power and good mileage. I assume the 8.1 comes with the Allison trans so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I know I would go get one. So it makes a little more noise than the gasser dig deal...

Sorry to dissapoint you - the 8.1L [2500] comes with the upgraded 4L85E, a beefed up 4L80E that can handle the 8.1L - seems to do an excellent job. The duramax/Allison combo would add a lot of weight. I doubt that the Allison would fit in the current frame. ;D

How bad ass would a 2500 300 HP 500 LB torque out of the box Dramax Diesel Avalanche would be? Then you can put the Banks dump tube and 4" full exhaust, add more turbo boost. We are talking over 400 HP and about 600-650 poounds of torque!!! If the General made this truck I would trade my AV for it. It would probably last a very very very long time. The diesels can go 250,000 miles and with the 5 speed allison tranny!!!! talk about a complete bad ass truck

The allison tranny is an automatic. That's the beauty. Can't forget the Dana 60 rear with a detriot locker. And the brakes need to be upgraded with the Baer 14" rotors. If I had a fist full of cash, I can do some major damage at a speed shop on my AV !!!!

Now, you can also get a 6-speed behind the Duramax on the Silverado . . . put that combo in an Av and I'd be looking to trade in. My boss has a 2500HD with the Allison - nice combo - but trucks need stick shifts IMO. I still go for the clutch in my Av now and then - too many years with manual trannies I guess.

OMG 6 speed, talk about a stump puller!! My vette has a 6 speed, but the traffic in South Florida can get to you. With a stick in an AV I will get clutchitis. You know, when your left leg and calf are twice the size of your right side from using the clutch in traffic all the time, No manual for me, but a sequential shifter on the steering wheel like an M3 or the 360 would be nice. I have to much time on my hand!!!!

jewvalanche said:
I guess only 3 of us are interested in this concept.
Not so! This was talked about months here as well. It would have been my first choice, if I could have justified the extra $$$. I would also like to see the 6L from the Silverado HD available.

jewvalanche.... i traded in my 94 k-5 diesel turbo, on the avalanche,, the diesel has a pull that cant be matched. ..i bypassed the wastgate at 50,000 and that old boy would pump 10 psi or more boost, and at 165,000, was still rinning good. when it comes out thats next diesel av, is a natural. for now, and 35 more payments im riding,, got change on out. still modding like you,are,, and jealous of your borla set up... gotta get extended warrant, racking up 20,000 a year, and dont want to pay for a puked tranny or rear send, before payments wear out.. wanna see your big wheels.. got change, on the roll

I was forced into buying a new vehicle several weeks ago. If I could've afforded it, I was definitely going for the 2500 HD Crew Cab, Duramax Diesel with Allison Trans. This is basically my "dream truck". However, it would've ended up being at least $6,000 more than the 1500 Avalanche I purchased at the time. I got a great deal on my Avalance (and my trade in), and I don't regret it at all. If I could've waited another year or two, that's what I would've ended up with. I'm sure you will be seeing a 2500 Avalanche with Diesel in the 2004 or 2005 models. It will be a great truck.

However, I still like the Avalanche a lot more than the Silverado counterparts. Much smoother ride, more built in options, and more flexibility for me.

That does sound like one fine AV. I wonder if it was possible, parts being compatible and all, how much would it really cost for a group buy?

If you built it they will buy...

When this was discussed before - it was noted that we won't likely see a Duramax AV for a long time if ever.

The AV is based upon a Suburban frame and the frame would have to be altered to handle the Duramax and tranny.

Given that Chevy has not introduced a Duramax Suburban, don't count on the AV having this option very soon :(

I am one that would sell my current AV for a Duramax package.

I would stay with the GAS engine.....but your results may vary

that would be a bad a$$ truck. i have driven a Duramax. i like it alot. i was considering it. i do not tow enough to warrant such a purchase though. :cautious:

I also fell in love with the Duramax Silverado, with the Allision transmission! The only problem would be the price! My Z71 Av already listed at 38,500 So the transmission on the Durmax is close to a 1,200 option. The engine is a another 5,000. So you are starting to get into the price range of the H2. That is a lot of cash to put out on a vehicle that can not do bed hitch towing and really does not have the same cargo space as a HD Silverado! Do not get me wrong would love to see it but, wow what a cost! To be honest I would rather see a 400 HP gas engine Ram air Avalanche SS.

The older 'burb's had diesels, didn't they?

What were they thinking when they designed these ones then?! :7:

:)

My understanding of the problem of fitting the Duramax into the Sub platform is the size of the Allison trans used on the new engine. There is not enough room for the trans without raising the body, something GM does not want to do, evidently.

I'd prefer the Duramax on the 1500 chassis! Then I'd add more power from MODing and I'd be in a lighter vehicle than the 2500 AV.

Zoooommmmmm.

MI_99XPL said:
I'd prefer the Duramax on the 1500 chassis! ?Then I'd add more power from MODing and I'd be in a lighter vehicle than the 2500 AV.

The Duramax/Allison combo is no light weight affair. If you put it into a 1500 chassis you would more than likely bury the front tires right up to the inner fenders! >:D

Good concept and all but...

I was originally looking at a Silverado and considered the Duramax and Allison tranny but the price, THE PRICE! :6:

You'd need to drive the thing way over 100,000 miles to possibly even come close to justifying the cost of it. You can buy a LOT of gas with the $6,000 or so that the D-max and Alli-tranny will set you back. And the mileage savings apparently is questionable (well, how much savings per mile driven). I decided at the time that I'd much rather go with the 8.1-Liter big block even in the Silverado (I got the big block in the Av instead).

I personally don't care to keep a vehicle more than 4 years and there's not much hope of justifying the extra $6k or so during that time. And if I want power all I need to do is Gandolph-ize my 2500 (intercooled Whipplecharger with headers and intake and...).

Like I said, I like the sound of the D-max and Allison marriage but money would have to be no object (rather spend the money on the Whipple >:D ).

I couldn't see Chevy putting the Duramax in the Avalanche. They are too practical in their thinking. They know that very few people would ever use their Avalanche like a Heavy Duty truck. Lets say like a Ford F 350 or a Silverado 3500. It's too pretty. I think I would cry if I ever saw someone carrying 2 tons of gravel in their bed.
Ok so then why wouldn't they do it strictly for performance reasons? In Australia, Holden which is GM Australia allows the customer to have a choice between up to 4 different engines for all their lines of vehicles. Take a look at their HSV 427. Somehow they can justify that but yet they can't justify a Duramax Avalanche. It makes no sense. How sick would it be having an avalanche with that awesome diesel sound!!! >:D
http://www.hsv.com.au/vy/showcars/showcar.asp

Back