Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/20/14 10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC DELCO PF44 oil filter has been superseded for 2003  (Read 4137 times)
BenC

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« on: 10/04/03 09:34 PM »

Changed the oil today, and didn't realize until after I'd drained the oil and removed the filter that I didn't have the PF44 filter on hand. Found that neither Autozone, Pep Boys, or O'Reilly's -- all of the major chain auto parts retailers in Dallas -- had the PF44. Pep Boys showed that none of its stores had one, nor did its warehouse -- all of them zeroed out on inventory.

I finally was told by O'Reilly's computerized parts listing (saw it on the screen myself) that the '03 Av would take either a PF44 or a PF46. Indeed, the external physical dimensions, including the gasket diameter, seem to be exactly the same, and out of desperation I have installed the PF46. However, I noticed that the used PF44 had something attached about halfway down the center bore, which could be felt by inserting a finger (could probably be seen if some of the dirty oil hadn't still been in there). The PF46 had nothing down the center bore -- just a uniform inside diameter all the way to the bottom of the can.

I plan to call AC Delco Monday morning to get a more authoritative answer on interchangeability. Does anyone know what's going on? Has the PF44 been discontinued and superseded by the PF46? Are the PF44 and PF46 in fact fully interchangeable? With all the cars on the road that call for a PF44, including some older Corvettes, Buick Skylarks, and others, and even the brand new '04 Denali my son just bought, it seems inconceivable that none of these retail chains would stock (or would be out of stock on) that filter -- and besides, I know I've bought it at one of those stores sometime earlier this year.

I would appreciate any light that can be shed on this strange situation.

BenC
Dallas, TX
2007 LTZ, Graystone Metallic
djfcars

D'OH!!!!! Its another Avalanche!

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/03 09:54 PM »

You can use the oil filter that is for the '02 AV.

I think its PF-59.  Its longer anyway which is what I like about it!

2003 Z-71 1500 4 x 4  dark gray metallic, onstar,chrome running boards
BenC

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/03 08:11 PM »

Couldn't find a telephone contact number for AC Delco - had to e-mail, and got the usual automated response that they try to answer all e-mails within a couple of days.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows anything about why the PF44 is unavailable, I'd sure like to hear from you.

BenC
Dallas, TX
Edward K
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/07/03 03:29 AM »

I would check with a Chevy dealer's part department.  I've noticed that AutoZone & Wal*Mart have quit carrying all ACDelco oil filters in Memphis at least.

BTW - The phone number for ACDelco is 1-800-ACDelco.  Seriously.
« Last Edit: 10/07/03 03:47 AM by Edward K » Logged
CraigF

That's Maddie--the cutest little girl in the world

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/07/03 09:58 PM »

Speaking of oil filters, I just picked up some Mobile 1 5w-30 and a Fram Toughgard3506.  This is the first time I've purchased my oil/filter for the Av and I was really surprised by how small the filter is.

Is there a prefered filter?  Should I have purchased a Mobile1 filter to go with the synthetic oil?

Craig

2003 Onyx Avalanche Z71 sold on 9/27.  Replaced by 2006 SOM Chevrolet HHR
Edward K

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10/07/03 10:01 PM »

Speaking of oil filters, I just picked up some Mobile 1 5w-30 and a Fram Toughgard3506.  This is the first time I've purchased my oil/filter for the Av and I was really surprised by how small the filter is.

Is there a prefered filter?  Should I have purchased a Mobile1 filter to go with the synthetic oil?

Craig

NOT THE FRAM!  Use the AC Delco or the Mobil 1.  thumbs_up
cudaowner

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 10/08/03 06:19 AM »

I agree with Edward K.  I used to be a Fram user.  After reading your post, I dug up a review I read quite a while ago. I think you, and others may find it informative.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=17194
In short, it's Mobil, wix, or Napa gold for me.

03WBH $27k, Homemade Bedslide $150, Eclipse HU JBL Amps Focals 4 Banger $1500, Hotchkiss Suspension $400, JB PCM $150,   LOF $95.  The look on my face after the wife dented the entire passenger side of the AV on a Sonic drive-in speaker....priceless.
djfcars

D'OH!!!!! Its another Avalanche!

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: 10/08/03 06:54 AM »

Like I said before guys, use the 02' AV filter which is PF-59.  In '03 they made them shorter.  Does the '02 fit and work well?  You bet.  I have changed oil on my av 3 times and that filter fits fine.  

I also went to Mobil 1 synthetic.  
Regards,
Dino

2003 Z-71 1500 4 x 4  dark gray metallic, onstar,chrome running boards
olsontru

Absolutely the best truck I have ever owned

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 10/08/03 07:12 AM »

Use the NAPA Gold, they have had super reviews for as long as I can remember.  PN 1522 for '02 Av, 1500.
Also change to Synthetic.
I use Mobil 1 in everything, including the lawnmower.  It's 15+ years old and still runs great.

2002 1500 Onyx Black Z71, Loaded except Roof Rack,  Mudflaps, Amber DRLs.  Silverstars, Hard wired hands free phone, GPS,Poron B/U alarm.  Sirius radio.
BenC

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 10/08/03 01:31 PM »

Here's AC Delco's response to my inquiry:

"With regards to your inquiry about oil filters, PF44 oil filter has been superseded to part number PF46."

That's very interesting, since as I mentioned in the original post, '04 vehicles such as my son's new Denali are coming off the line with PF44s on them.

I do like djfcars' recommendation to use the PF59, however. It obviously has more filtration area.

BenC
Dallas, TX
CraigF

That's Maddie--the cutest little girl in the world

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 10/08/03 02:15 PM »

I went to Autozone today and they did not have the PF44 either.  I had already bought a Fram, but based on posts here I picked up a Mobil1 M1-107.  I sure hope it's with the $12 it cost me.

My wife keeps asking why this oil change is costing so much!

Craig

2003 Onyx Avalanche Z71 sold on 9/27.  Replaced by 2006 SOM Chevrolet HHR
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 10/08/03 04:07 PM »

Craig:

As long as you change your oil & filter on a regular basis, go with the AC Delco or with the Purolator. They were both rated at the top of the list and are considerably cheaper than the Mobil 1. I run Mobil 1 oil  but still change the oil & filter every 3000. I'm sure this is overkill, but I can do it myself with Mobil 1 for the price of taking it to a quick-lube and getting dino oil.

MBT
« Last Edit: 10/08/03 04:08 PM by MyBigToy » Logged

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
Shep

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 10/11/03 06:17 AM »

FWIW,
This was posted on Aug 17,2003, by a very well respected Chevy/Corvette mechanic on a C5 corvette forum.  C5 corvettes also use the PF44/UPF44 filters.

Shep..

>HI there,
>This is just a headsup to all c5 owners.
>The PF44 is now discontinued. Once supply is depleted, that will be it.
>The new filter designation is PF46, which carries a better filter media.
>I still have NOT been told if there will be synthetic filter media UPF46.
>I will repost if anything changes.
>Allthebest, c4c5.
>
>--------------------
>c4c5 Chevrolet dealership mechanic, ASE Master Technician w/L1,
>Ambassador to the National Corvette Museum. COFFEE ADDICT.
>A persons judgement is only as good as the information they
>have, which should be FACT, not fiction.

03 Victory Red Z71
13 Silver Ice Metallic LTZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: