• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear window Glass midgate Storage Holders handles broke

disneydaddy

One of the round handles that hold the window secure when stowed on the midgate has broken on my AV.
The barrel of the round handle has slot cut in it for the retaining clip and it snapped at the slot.
My friend at the Chevy dealer says they have to replace the whole trim panel on the midgate since Chevy doesnt offer the part seperate.
Anyone else break a handle ?

WOW how did you break?

I have not heard of this yet......and I been here a long time....

YGMN, No idea how it broke, it just fell off one day. It doesnt look very sturdy where it broke.
My old friend at the dealer ordered me a new one about 5 weeks ago and it still isnt in. I wondered if that might be an indication that a lof of them are breaking. I was surprised because the rest of the midgate and cargo area are well designed. fortunately enough thats the only problem I have had in 5 months and 6000 miles.

you are the first...............to say it is broke...

Can you post a pic? I believe mine is broke in the same spot. I haven't noticed until lastnight! I have no idea how it happened :6:

I have only had my rear window out 2=3 times but I hope it is not borke when I need it!

Butch

sooners2win said:
Can you post a pic? I believe mine is broke in the same spot. I haven't noticed until lastnight! I have no idea how it happened :6:
If the handle is broken it will slide off the shaft when you fold the midgate down.
sorry I have no pics, I have an old 35mm camera and an old computer. I am tragically techno impaired.

My 03 Z71 has the same problem... I was showing the midgate to someone and the knob fell off in my hand... I am going to have the dealer fix when they reprogram my memory drivers seat.

I have mine repaired now. I ended up replacing the entire midgate for one little broken handle. My original plan was to take a handle off of the new midgate and pop it on mine (you cannot order just a handle, Chevy only has entire midgate assemblies)
Unfortunately the handle wont come off. There is no way to access the clip that holds it on.
So I replaced my midgate in about 10 min. 4 nuts removed slid the old one out and slid the new one in.
Sure seems like a big expensive part for such a small simple handle repair.

disneydaddy said:
My old friend at the dealer ordered me a new one about 5 weeks ago and it still isnt in. I wondered if that might be an indication that a lof of them are breaking.
On the other hand, it could also be an indication that it is so rare for them to break, that they just don't stock replacements.

Good to hear that you got it fixed. It sure does seem strange to have to replace the whole midgate, for what is probably only a few cents worth of plastic. :rolleyes:

-- SS

Quote fixed by ShapeShifter

mcrendog said:
Sounds like you had to pay for it and do it yourself- you couldn't use your warranty?

It was covered under warranty, My original plan was to get the midgate and pop the handle off of it myself instead of having to wait at the dealer an hour for a 2 minute job. It still only took me about 10 mins to replace the midgate. Most dealers wont give you the parts but I have a connection.

disneydaddy said:
sorry for the last post, still trying to use the "quote" feature
Not to worry. I fixed it for you. ;)

You can always edit one of your own posts by clicking on the "modify" button (which is right by the quote button.) As long as the thread is not locked, you can fix things any time.

-- SS

ShapeShifter said:
disneydaddy said:
sorry for the last post, still trying to use the "quote" feature
Not to worry. I fixed it for you. ;)

You can always edit one of your own posts by clicking on the "modify" button (which is right by the quote button.) As long as the thread is not locked, you can fix things any time.

-- SS
That's why we let you moderators hang around. :rolleyes:

This weekend, I folded down the mid-gate only to have the left rear plastic glass storage holder fall off (the ones you rotate to lock/unlock the glass when storing). I have only had the vehicle 2 months, have never stored the glass.

Has anyone had this problem? I am taking to dealer so they can order part, so I am not concerned about getting it fixed. Just wondered if you have had this problem, whether or not they have to tear mid-gate apart to replace?

Thanks!

there is another post in here on this subject...he got an entire midgate or something ridiculus

OK, I recently posted about one of the plastic dials breaking that holds the rear glass in place while stored in the midgate.

Today, went to dealer and they confirmed that the "fix" is an entire new midgate. Retail replacement cost is 'slightly over $ 1000..' plus the costs of the installation. :eek:

They did say 'there is a new part number for this' so one can only hope they have changed the design to allow for fixing a $ 5.00 part vs. relacing a $ 1000 + assembly.

If not, many more of these and GM will go broke and we will all have collector vehicles. :).

Hopefully, the one post I found here that said 'four bolts in 10 minutes to replace it...' is accurate . Will keep you posted on status.

Thanks!

tafirehawk309 said:
OK, I recently posted about one of the plastic dials breaking that holds the rear glass in place while stored in the midgate.

Today, went to dealer and they confirmed that the "fix" is an entire new midgate. Retail replacement cost is 'slightly over $ 1000..' plus the costs of the installation. :eek:

They did say 'there is a new part number for this' so one can only hope they have changed the design to allow for fixing a $ 5.00 part vs. relacing a $ 1000 + assembly.

If not, many more of these and GM will go broke and we will all have collector vehicles. :).

Hopefully, the one post I found here that said 'four bolts in 10 minutes to replace it...' is accurate . Will keep you posted on status.

Thanks!

well after reading your fix...I decided to find original and put them together.....

I did read when someone disassembled the midgate he said the handle thingy was held on with a C clip....check the mod section....he has thread titled "how to disassemble midgate" or similar...then you could start a communication with him and he may be able to help.....

HTH

Just installed my 4 banger sub box and noticed the knob on the floor. I think I took out my window once or twice to show people in the last 1.5 years. I have no idea how it broke. I just did a search and found this link. It comes off with a old roll up window handle type clip. I have no idea why they would not offer this knob seperate.

Odd I see this post ???today. Lowered the seats today in preperation for loading groceries. Knob laying under seats. Broken at two attach points. Another for the warranty repairs. :C:

Col_ChesterAV said:
Odd I see this post ???today. Lowered the seats today in preperation for loading groceries. Knob laying under seats. Broken at two attach points. Another for the warranty repairs. :C:

Thats exactly what happened to me. Just seen it laying there.

Mike

Nobody found a part number for the knob yet??

MIke

cadboy1 said:
Nobody found a part number for the knob yet??

MIke

not sure this is gonna be one as it is a part of the midgate assembly as some owners found out through warranty claims.....

Back