• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Strange Noise Above Drivers Seat????

ref

I think this subject has been brought up before, but I couldn't find it. I have a strange noise coming out of what looks like a speaker right above the drivers seat. It sounds like something vibrating. It seems to do it only when it is cold....and it goes away when the Av warms up.
Does anyone else have this happen? And what the heck is that speaker looking disk above the drivers seat? ??? Thanks for any info. :)

small change to subject line-shc

That is a fan and temperature sensor for the HVAC controls, so it makes perfect since you are hearing the fan going bad.

Ahhhhhh.....Thank you Blue 03. I'll have the dealer check it out the next time I am in there for service. As you know...being from Colorado...it has been chilly....and that is the only time I seems to notice it. I am not ready for winter yet! Thanks for the info.

It's a sensor, but I don't believe there is any fan in there. I've started hearing the same thing now that it's been getting cold at night and I park in the drive.

It goes away when it warms up. This leads me to think that when its cold the materials in that area are just a bit contracted, so there is a bit of a rattle as the sensor cover is actually a bit loose. As the cab warms up, the sensor cover warms and expands, tightening its fit and the rattle goes away.

There are several threads on this....and one where Shapshifter has a page from service manual showing it too......

HTH

I have actually taken one apart. There is indeed a small squirrel type fan inside. If it makes noise it needs to be replaced. Mine is silent and the system works just fine.

HTH

NW_Nick said:
A little fan, eh? Well I'll be!

That is what I thought when I read it, and said, well alright, those guys are thinking. I had an old car with one of the first generation climate controls, the sensor was located just behind the gear shift on the floor (just above transmission) on long road trips that center console area would stay warm from running x-mission at several thousand RPM and it would think the cabin was like 92 degrees.

With the fan it will sample a good deal of air and not be effected as much by like the sun hitting the roof or snow on the roof.

Okay imageswest, the little speaker thingy is the "air temperature sensor/aspirator" There is a little fan in there and that is what is making the noise.

You will find some discussion about it on page 28 of this forum. Once it starts to make noise all the time it needs to be replaced and is covered under the warranty.

Mine is now at that point so back to the dealer to get that done. I think I shall make sure they have the part on hand though so they don't tie up the truck all day to tell me they need to order one. My service manager is aware of this site so he pretty well knows I know what I am talking about when I say a specific thing isn't working right.

Good luck on getting it fixed!!

RLT

OOPS!!!

Also this topic is covered on page 15 of this forum in more detail than on page 28 I believe.

Hope this helps! ;D

RLT

Thanks for the info!! That is a good idea to let the dealer kn ow what is up before I bring my truck in. RIght now it is still only making noise when it is cold....and stops when the cabin gets warmer.

Mine started to make noise in the morning only on start up when the temps outside are 25F or colder as they have been for the last few days :mad: After about a minute or so I don`t hear it. Probably because the radio is turned up :love:

cadboy1 said:
Mine started to make noise in the morning only on start up when the temps outside are 25F or colder as they have been for the last few days :mad: After about a minute or so I don`t hear it. Probably because the radio is turned up :love:
cover it with DUCT TAPE.....hehehehehehehehe

NOT!...

ygmn said:
cover it with DUCT TAPE.....hehehehehehehehe

crank up the Bose system so you won't hear it whine, loud music also drowns out nagging wives

sennister said:
Every now and then I would hear something out of mine when it was cold also. I fixed that problem. I had my Flowmaster S40 installed on Saturday.

Now I don't hear it anymore.? ?>:D
Next it'll be huh? What? What'd you say? >:D

txyank1 said:
Next it'll be huh? What? What'd you say? >:D

Actually that is already a problem. It has nothing to do with exhaust or music though. I will be at the VA Hospital on Friday for looking into hearing aids. After 3 operations they have repaired as much of the blast damage as they can and now are looking into other options to try and restore hearing.

I have a 35% noise induced hearing loss from 32 years in a noisy factory. Thats one reason I don't invest in a sound system. I can't hear the highs and lows.

AVid

AVid said:
I have a 35% noise induced hearing loss from 32 years in a noisy factory. Thats one reason I don't invest in a sound system. I can't hear the highs and lows.

AVid

Maybe it's just your stereo?  "No highs, no lows, must be Bose!"    ;)    j/k

Mine buzzes intermittently as well...  :(

Ah, found the answer here!  Yeah, mine is making the noise.  Just 5 months old, so warranty.
But, my fan is loose, do they have to remove the entire ceiling covering to get to it?  I see no other way.  Headache...    :eek:

This is like way late but i took mine out and it was pretty dirty ive got to get a new one this weekend. I didnt have to take my entire headliner down, if your lucky like me and have a sunroof i just went through that way and un clipped it cuz it was bugging me.

I run mine in manual most of the time, correct me if I'm wrong but the sensor/fan thingy only functions when you have the auto climate control on. Just turn it off until you can replace it ?

I NEVER use my Auto Climate Control.  Mine stays in manual so that I can get it to do what I WANT it to do.  The ACC drives me absolutely BONKERS.  I guess I won't have to ever worry about the fan over my head that way too.... :B:

The fan is on constantly from what i have noticed and makes different noises/loudness depending on the temp and sometimes speed from what i have noticed. I always ahve mine on manual but that noise kills me.

Back