• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Any Problems?

Forbin

I'm posting this as I just got a 04 WBH and I've been having a few problems.

1) Fuel pump BROKE 2 weeks after getting the car....fixed 2 days later

2) I was running on 1/8 tank of gas Saturday and noticed that the car was losing power (twice) while driving. Dealer said since I had 1/8 tank it wasn't getting any fuel to the pump (OMG the pump again)

3) Clicking noises when I do extreme left and right turns.

Is this normal or just me?

Low fuel:

MANY vehicles today, not just GM trucks rely on a level of fuel in the gas tank to provide cooling for fuel pumps. I know the concept of gasoline as a coolant gives me hives also. If you're losing power and the LOW FUEL light IS NOT on. Your dealer is full of poop. If the LOW FUEL light IS on - they may be telling you the truth, and you should strive not to get things that low for an extended period of time.

Clicking Noises: Are you 4WD or 2WD? Are you running in 2-Hi, AutoTrac, 4-Hi or 4-Lo. If you are running in AutoTrack or 4-Hi on dry pavement STOP! If you read your owners manual the 4WD system on the Avy is parttime not full time. Although you can drive in AutoTrac if you want, you will wear out your differentials over time.

Also, because you said "sharp turns" if you are turning the steering wheel to full lock (can't turn any further) then yes, the power steering pump will protest. This is a HUGE pet peeve I have with American cars in general in that across all lines it's not healthy to bring them to full lock and hold the wheel there in a turn. They should just spend a few extra pennies and put in stops to prevent me from going to that point - versus squeezing the last inch out of the turning radius to make the marketing weasels happy.

Full disclosure - I would be one of those marketing weasels screaming over loosing 3" of turning radius

First I have a '04 Z66.

It was at 1/8, and the light was not on. I was trying to keep it as low as possible as the dealer promised me a full tank of gas later that day.

I was making a right turn when I felt the pedal go dead, a second later it came back. My imagination I thought.

2 hours later my wife was driving it up hill (Small hill...10 deg max) and she said, hey why did the pedal just go dead then come back?

So I talked to the service advisor while I was getting my car gassed up and he said it had to do with the gasoline level.

Yah I didn't believe him since the light was on, but I wanted to see if anyone else here drags their gas tank near the end and has these problems?

I have an 03 Z71. I have ran it down to the point where I have had to put over 30 gal in it to fill her back up. Here is a pic to prove it.
30_gal.JPG

I have never had a loss of power like you describe. I'm not saying that it can not happen. I'm just showing you how low I have went with out any problems. Also, the Chief is right, the gas is used as a coolant for the pump so this is not a good idea to do what I did. It also seems that I remember reading another post about loosing power as you described. Maybe do a search for it.

Well I guess I will keep an eye out on the loss of Power in the Pedal, I suspect the new fuel pump they got me is defective.

Wish I had the DIC, would help me for some computations but alas the DIC model had Body Armor and the price jumped $2700.

:0: Loss of power sounds like it could be (if you drive like me >:D ) The "Traction Control" kicking in?

Hoho, no my wife was standing still on a road when it did that.

Well it hasn't happened in a week since we got it filled out, maybe my pump is the culprit and only does it when it is low.

Chief said:
Low fuel:

MANY vehicles today, not just GM trucks rely on a level of fuel in the gas tank to provide cooling for fuel pumps. I know the concept of gasoline as a coolant gives me hives also. If you're losing power and the LOW FUEL light IS NOT on. Your dealer is full of poop. If the LOW FUEL light IS on - they may be telling you the truth, and you should strive not to get things that low for an extended period of time.

That's good info - I had no idea. I have a bad habit of driving it until almost every drop is gone, guess I'll have to stop that!

Back