• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

WBH vs. Cladded AV weight

Something I too have always wondered about. ??? Always figured that's why the WBH's are faster! >:D :rolleyes:

;), now I don't feel so bad for having the cladding on. If I could do it again, I would probably get it with out the cladding but I still love my AV

Cheers

A.R.

Calgary Canada

JRider said:
The difference is nill.

Come on...that cladding has to weigh something! Maybe we have more steel in our bumpers that off-set it?

any difference is un published......and would be insignificant as normal sold........

The lower cladding would weigh less then 50 pounds in my opinion....

txyank1 said:
JRider said:
The difference is nill.

Come on...that cladding has to weigh something! Maybe we have more steel in our bumpers that off-set it?

"more steel in our bumpers that off-set it"......my thoughts exactly. Hard to say though...is there a crashbar under the steel bumper like there is under the plastic?

JRider said:
"more steel in our bumpers that off-set it"......my thoughts exactly. Hard to say though...is there a crashbar under the steel bumper like there is under the plastic?

I wondered how much steel is actually under the plastic bumpers. Probably as much as is in our bumpers.

I would venture a guess that WBH have less reinforcing steel
than cladded.

Remember the WBH have a silverado clip on the front...

It wouldn't make sense for GM to have these giantic plastic
bumpers without enough reenforcing steel underneath them.

They are tough bumpers too. For being plastic they saved my
butt a couple of times. One with me driving another when
my fiance was driving. I was pretty happy the back bumper
wasn't chrome! :)

I don't think they could bounce back like they do if they were
100% plastic...

Aetatis.

aetatis said:
I don't think they could bounce back like they do if they were
100% plastic...
Aetatis.
Oh I don't know...remember those GTO front bumpers around '69? :D

There is a steel bar behind the cladding bumpers....it is about same thickness as normal bumper but only about 3" tall and does not have top or bottom like WBH truck....

We are splitting hairs here for weight....I mean fuel load would have more impact as well as driver and stuff in the side bins and bed.....

Nothing wrong with splittin' hairs. 'sides we're just trying figure out why the WBH is faster! >:D ;)

txyank1 said:
Nothing wrong with splittin' hairs. 'sides we're just trying figure out why the WBH is faster! >:D ;)

I've never bumped into a WBH that could even come close to my cladded Avy. ;)

I think this thread might be dead but here's my (AV) weight...5730. That's with step bars, roof rack and a sunroof & fender flares.
I definitely could tell the difference between my Z71 and a cladded Av so I bet a 2WD WBH would be the lightest and fastest (response time) of all, stock, right ???

~monique

PS. My dealer said the diff was 600# but I THINK he had it mixed up with $600!!! D'oH :p

I have had both WBH and WOBH the body hardware seem to be a little faster between my two both were set up the samethe only thing I can come up with is on the cladiing you have a little bit of a slope on the front that might help to pust the air up over the hood a little more and not be a flat in the front. but then again I might of worn heavey shoes that day HA!

Howdy here's my 2 cents.

I think that the difference would be nominal at best however I would imagine from a design aspect the WBH would be a little bit lighter and a little more areodynamic. I think with those two differences the WBH just would clip it's cladded sybling. But hey that's my opinion and all I have is PhD........That would be a Plain High School Diploma for us laymen. >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Can I jump in here? The cladding is an absolute blessing for the 4wd enthusiast. I tore up the paint pretty bad behind the tires on my last chevy. Jeep has had "cladding" for years and I often wondered why Chevy hadn't done it (before the AVs came along). Those of us with cladding will be the last ones smiling in 3 years time because all of the without cladding AVs will have nicks and dings, even if they don't go in the dirt. So they might beat us by quarter second down the strip, we'll look better at the top of the hill. Breedlove

Attachments

• 022303abc.jpg
    022303abc.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 38
To take this discussion one step further.............Does anyone know the weight breakdown on front tire load vs. rear tire load. Need to do some towing but with new 22s have decreased towing capacity.
Bummer huh?
BB

Back