• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tranny drain plug??

djfcars

Has anyone on this site ever unscrewed that bolt that is almost in the middle of the transmission pan?? I need to know if it will let trans fluid out. I am wondering if I should drain it when I do an oil change.

I usually drain motor oil at 3000 miles. I figure I would be slowly replacing the tranny fluid. At best, I figure I would be refreshing a little trans fluid at a time until the big trans service rolls around. I wonder also how much will drain out. Anyone??? ???

I'm no mechanic, thus just some armchair comments. The manual states to change trans fluid and filter at 100,000 miles (160,000km, or thereabouts) .... extreme use you go half that distance. More importantly, the manual cautions about overfilling or underfilling. All I'm saying, is, be careful. :B: Do, certainly, check your fluid level as part of your routine maintenance.

The plug does indeed drain your transmission fluid. I have drained mine a couple of times since I tow a trailer quite often even though it really hasn't needed it. If I recall correctly about 3.5 qts out of a totally system capacity of 15 qts come out.

The are others discussions of this in here also.

comment added 1/8/04

As bluerock said below, be careful when taking the plug out for the first time, mine also was very hard to get out. Make sure that you have the right size socket or you will round it off. If I remember correctly it is a 15mm.

I tried to take my drain plug out today - well it was in very tight and my wrench sliped and rounded all of the corners. So it is time to try the vise grips and order a new plug......geeeez what fun

Ok what size is the drain plug???? I've been to the local dealer and they offered the part number, they didn't know the size/thread. I'm installing a transmission lube pump so I can tow 4 wheels down, and thought I would install the pickup via the drain plug fitting instead of drilling a hole in the side of the pan. :0:

I had to use an air chisle to get mine off! It's not quite 15mm which is really weird. I guess they don't want those shade tree mechanics working on them! I bet the GM mechanics have the right fit socket. The new plug I bought I only snugged up SLIGHTLY so I can use the 15mm instead of the alternative. I measured off 3 qts that came out. I've done this twice in 30,000 miles and the fluid is really clean. I question even doing it, but I know it cannot harm it.

I bet the GM mechanics have the right fit socket.

I wish, I had my tranny drained at the dealer and they stripped the nut. The dealer gave me an extra plug and will replace at next tranny service.

On my silverado, same transmission, the transmission drain bolt is suppose to be 13 foot pounds, with use of pipe sealant. (GM part number 12346004) Bolt rounded off, dealer replaced under warranty.. Next year I tried to remove it, rounded off again, had to use bolt remover and air wrench, oil pan damaged. I replaced pan and filter, put new drain bolt in at 13 foot pounds.
Since we use Chevrolet heavy duty pickups at work, I asked service man if he had problems with oil drain bolts, he showed me his mechanics chest, with several new transmission bolts. He said he uses air wrench, half of bolts he removes are rounded off.
GM has know this for years, and we pay the price, I think they sell a lot of transmission drain bolts!
I love my new AV, but hope GM will give us a drain bolt that we can use.

I just did service on my tranny this past weekend. It is a 15mm plug, but the head is not very thick and it tapers into the flat part of the plug. Only use a 6 point socket, or a six piont box wrench. If you try a 12 point, you may be very dissapointed with the amount of time it takes to get back on the road.

Too little too late for some of you

Doug

Wanted to reply to this old post, as I came across it this week due to having the same problem.  I heated the plug with a rosebud torch (once the pan was off) and was able to turn it out with channel locks.  Here are the part numbers you need if you want to buy a replacement prior to draining all of your oil out of your ride to the store.  ;)  Chevy #24233099, list price is $6.46.  Or a Dorman plug from your local hw store: Dorman # 65212.  Bolt is 12mm x 1.75 course thread. Hope this helps someone in the future.  ;)

I rounded my trans drain plug using a 15mm so i called the dealer to see if they could tell me what socket THEY use.  15mm or 9/16" or?
Get this.  The guy in the service dept said "i dont feel comfortable telling you that" and hung up immediately.  Is there a conspiracy to sell hundreds of $6.46 drain bolts and cause headaches??!!

I'm gaining a new level of Faith. Some, and a few newer members, actually do a SEARCH First!

To You, I say Thank You!  :love: :B: :love:

I didn't check to see if the Year, Model, and or other Pertinent aspects of their specific vehicles were provided too. After all these years, it probably doesn't matter.  :(

This is an old thread and I'm not sure which is worse, the familiar names not active now or the reason for still posting for this reason.  :cry:

YMMV  :eek:

Now I know what I'm not touching when the time comes to do a pan drop!!

Simply unbolt the pan from trans and let 'er rip...

No pain no gain - just let it drain   :laugh:

My '92 Sierra don't have no stinking drain plug. Unnecessary part!!  >:D

CarMech1969

I have 2 chevys.
Drain plug didn't come out on either.
I installed my own from a help kit from advanced.

Back