Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
12/22/14 05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fix for Leaky Bed Panel Covers?  (Read 8906 times)
DYMOND53
« on: 11/22/03 01:15 PM »

Does anyone have a fix for leaks between the cargo panel covers?  Salesmen and first trip to the service dept. told me there are "NO leaks"; "Never heard of this problem with this vehicle."  New service manager from Washington state said they do nothing but leak...
So.....how do you keep your cargo dry on a rainy day?
 veryveryangry
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 11/22/03 01:20 PM »

Does anyone have a fix for leaks between the cargo panel covers?  Salesmen and first trip to the service dept. told me there are "NO leaks"; "Never heard of this problem with this vehicle."  New service manager from Washington state said they do nothing but leak...
So.....how do you keep your cargo dry on a rainy day?
 veryveryangry
Welcome to the club........

The panels should not leak over the top of the rubber mat.....

Please search through the many threads on here and what some people with water leaks did with their dealers to remedy the problem.....

the top of the rubber mat should not have water on it...only the edges.....

Good luck

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Loggie
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

What made it all happen--The Original Concept

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: 11/23/03 02:06 AM »

Never had any problems in the rain.  The only time they leak is when I use my pressure washer to clean the cladding.  Run it through a car wash and if it leaks drive over to the dealership and show them.

rda2w

I've seen the light!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 11/24/03 09:33 PM »

I can understand your frustration. I've only had my Av a week and when I was washing it on Saturday I noticed the mat had water on it under each seam. And not just a little. I was surprised because I was doing it in my driveway without much water pressure. That night I read through many of the old posts here to get some ideas. I first checked for visable gaps in the seals and didn't find any. Next I removed the panels and cleaned all the mating surfaces with a wet towel. I also cleaned the gaskets on the rails and at the front. The last thing was to coat all the rubber with some silicone grease and reassemble. We had some hard rain this afternoon and it was pouring when I drove home from work. After I pulled in the driveway I opened the tailgate to see a nice dry bed. The only trace of water was a couple of trickles down the sides that were running directly into the drains.

2003 Z-71, arrival blue, charcoal heated leather seats, convenience package, personal security package, roof rack, SS tube steps, XM Radio activated, towing package.
Mods: Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.
ChevyThunder
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

RESULTS...NOT EXCUSES!!!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 11/25/03 07:04 AM »

On top of keeping the rubber surfaces clean and lubricated, installation plays a HUGE role in preventing leaks.
It's important to hold the panels up at a 45 degreee angle  when sliding them underneath another panel or against the back window.

Several months with no problems here.

CT.

2004 Victory Red Z71
2008 Blue Granite Metallic 3LT Z71
danlwil
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

Toys... can you ever have too many?

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 11/25/03 08:31 PM »

Next I removed the panels and cleaned all the mating surfaces with a wet towel. I also cleaned the gaskets on the rails and at the front. The last thing was to coat all the rubber with some silicone grease and reassemble.

hmmmmmmmmm  thanks for the reminder... I've been noticing a few drips and am needing to spend some time getting them sealed....

Clean surfaces are the key

"7"  White Z71
"Her AV3 "07 LT3 Silver Birch Metallic
"AV 5" 05 Blk Onyx Z71 t  for 7
"AV 4" 04 DBM 2500 t for "AV5"
"Her AV2"03 Victory Red wbh t for Her AV3
"Her AV" 03 Summit White 1500 t for "her AV2"
"His AV"02 Indigo Blue 1500 t for AV4
DYMOND53
« Reply #6 on: 11/28/03 08:45 AM »

What is the exact name of the product (silicone grease) which you used to "seal the gasket and goove" on your panel covers.  I used a "silicone spray" which did not work.  

Thank you,

Vernon
jscotb
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 12/03/03 06:04 AM »

The bed is not suppsoe to be water proof Embarrassed that is why they put drains and water diverters in the bed. The water is supposed tobe controled to these drains. I had problems with the water diverters on one side being cracked. The dealer replaced with no problem.

Sunset Orange Z 66
djfcars

D'OH!!!!! Its another Avalanche!

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: 12/03/03 06:29 AM »

I tried silicone grease and it was so sticky it took a very long time to lubricate.  It was very hard to slide the grease up and down the seals.   As in normal grease, it is very easy and fast.  But what I have, it would take 30 minutes just to do about 3ft of seal.  Does this sound right or do I have the wrong grease?  And where did you guys find the grease to buy?  One Chevy dealer told me that they don't have such a thing  

2003 Z-71 1500 4 x 4  dark gray metallic, onstar,chrome running boards
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 12/03/03 08:34 AM »

I tried silicone grease and it was so sticky it took a very long time to lubricate.  It was very hard to slide the grease up and down the seals.   As in normal grease, it is very easy and fast.  But what I have, it would take 30 minutes just to do about 3ft of seal.  Does this sound right or do I have the wrong grease?  And where did you guys find the grease to buy?  One Chevy dealer told me that they don't have such a thing  

I suggest BMW (yes the car company)  Gummi Phledge.......this stuff is specific for rubber seals...........

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
BlessedByGod

Truly Blessed By God

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: 12/03/03 10:07 AM »

I had to adjust all of mine.

I loosened the torx screws and slid them back and forth till they alligned properly.  they have about 1/2 inch of play you can work with.  the shop foreman had told me there was no adjustment.

i still have a slight problem on the pass. side at the tailgate if I don't slam it VERY hard. Other than it is good since I moved them.

I actually shut myself in there on a VERY sunny day and looked for gaps.  i then moved the panels till daylight disappeared.  I had to really trust my daughter to open the midgate and let me out.  Tony Soprano ought to drive one of these it's like a big trunk to carry many "past acquaintances" in.  Don't try this if you are claustrophopic.

-REV

Proverbs 29:9
If a wise man contends with a foolish man,
whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest.

2002 Z66 Sunroof
Mods: Black Westin Nerfs, Ventvisors, 3357NA DRLS, Silverstars, Cassette, CD changer, Aux inputs, XM Roady (Delphi Roady), DVD/MP3 Player, Dual 7.5 inch headrest monitors.
midlifecrisis
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: 12/03/03 10:19 AM »

I actually shut myself in there on a VERY sunny day and looked for gaps.  i then moved the panels till daylight disappeared.  I had to really trust my daughter to open the midgate and let me out.  Tony Soprano ought to drive one of these it's like a big trunk to carry many "past acquaintances" in.  Don't try this if you are claustrophopic.

-REV

Oh no - don't let the litigation lawyers see this.  If they get a hold of it, Chevy will have to install an emergency release in the interior of the bed tailgate, like those built in car trunks now.....

2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip
midlifecrisis
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: 12/03/03 10:20 AM »

It's important to hold the panels up at a 45 degreee angle  when sliding them underneath another panel or against the back window.

Is this in the manual?  I don't ever remember reading this and therefore I've never done it.  I'll have to see if that helps with my leaks.

2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip
rda2w

I've seen the light!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 12/03/03 08:40 PM »

I used PERMATEX Dielectric Tune-up Grease on a small piece of cloth to do the smooth surfaces. I found that an old toothbursh worked well on the grooved gaskets between the bed panels. I used a very thin coating and wiped off the excess. It is a bit sticky when cold so you could try warming up the tube in hot water first. I thin kit may have taken 30 minutes to to do all the seals and gaskets on mine, including the midgate.

Bob

2003 Z-71, arrival blue, charcoal heated leather seats, convenience package, personal security package, roof rack, SS tube steps, XM Radio activated, towing package.
Mods: Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.
djfcars

D'OH!!!!! Its another Avalanche!

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: 12/03/03 09:34 PM »

I will try what Ygmn suggested.  I will go to a BMW dealership to get some and try it.
Thanks Ygmn-
Dino

2003 Z-71 1500 4 x 4  dark gray metallic, onstar,chrome running boards
Island_Avalanche

03' Summit White Avalanche z71 off road

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 12/03/03 11:11 PM »

I love this site.

Ok, I now have two things to do this weekend: Leather seats and check the seals around the panels.

Thanks guys.

Snake eyes--I have a visor lcd screen and a JVC 6.1" screen I use for backing up, Vent visors, bug guard, echo flow rear sensor warning system. K&N Air Filter. Xenon headlights low beam , power inverter, Aluminium Lund step bars, cooler/heater, molded mud flaps,  JVC navigation with GPS/Bluetooth/Sat Radio/DVD/Mp3/USB/CD, chrome hitch bar, Gator-Backed, use 303 Protecterant often, Good Year Rain/snow tires.
msmiller2006

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 04/05/09 01:56 PM »

Looks like its been awhile since anyone has posted about this problem?  I hope that means one of the 2 products suggested works!  I hope so. I guess thats what i'm going to try for my leaky bed too.

02 Avalanche  !Z71! with 180,000 miles and still going strong...  MODS: 2 inch front end lift, dual exhaust at 45 degrees w/ chrome tips, tinted windows, sony head unit w/ ipod touch, amber drl's, Nitto Terra Grappler A/T Tires, Bug Flector, and John Deere Hitch Cover Wink

Future Mod list:  M/T Classic Lock 17x9 wheels, 3 inch body lift, nerf bars, Westin bull bar w/ lights, and many more.
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 04/05/09 02:00 PM »

Wow..A 6 year old thread brought back to life  love

Mine never leaked  Cheesy

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD
GoNavy429

08' LS

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 04/05/09 03:49 PM »

Oh no - don't let the litigation lawyers see this.  If they get a hold of it, Chevy will have to install an emergency release in the interior of the bed tailgate, like those built in car trunks now.....

Big laughter with tears... Big laughter with tears....Well it has been five years, have you figured out yet, you can simply release the center panel or the tailgate panel and push up, kinda hard to get locked in, when the panels release from the inside....guess GM already thought of that..... Big laughter with tears....doh.....

2008 Deep Ruby Metallic Avalanche LS, 5.3L non-flex fuel Vortec V8, Custom Cloth 40/20/40, On Star, XM Radio Six CD changer, Remote Start, Tow package
jmaneth

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 05/01/09 10:40 AM »

bought my 05 used and never had one leak until Tuesday. i had my benelli , a 5 day back pack full of clothes and some boots and other crap in there... my poor shotgun has never had a spec of rust on it, now its completely rusted. went to unpack it this morning... my stomach knotted up when i open my tailgate and realized what had happened.  Cry

i immediately got a hose and ran water over it and the seal between the 2 and 3 panel is leaking and it is leaking on the drivers side by the gutter. sucks. guess i am going to have to get me a snug top! tried to post a pic i took from my phone and it said it was too large...

2005 Avalanche Z-71 (Black w/o cladding) Factory Navigation & DVD
295/75/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T
YAK Rack Roof and Bed
Backup lights
PIAA Lights
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: