• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Eagle 1 Tire Shine and similar products for Cladding

ygmn

This is a Custom Title
Staff Member
Administrator
Charter Member
PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
After trying to find my original post....and making the one for 303 I decided these cladding tire shine products deserve a thread...

I find this stuff to last the longest, run and streak the least and well look the best...It really makes the cladding look like it is brand new.....it shines and the color is uniform.....it seems to hide the white blemishes (tiger stripes) too...and also appears to hide those man made white ding spots as well....

When it rains the water beads on the cladding and looks really neat to me.....It also will last through several rains and/or washings....For me this stuff lasts about 8-10 wettings where I can see it is wearing off.... that is the cladding loses some shine....but it still is there...and maybe another 3-4 wettings when it is gone and the cladding is dull and faded looking again.

Again.....These are suggestions and I suggest you try and either find someone who uses it or try it in hidden spot to see if you like...heck in store open bottle and smell and feel it before buying....

Watch it when you apply to the assist steps or running boards as this stuff is slippery.......ecspecially when wet........

HOW TO USE:

These products come in spray bottle which are all different....but I use two methods for applying.....I sporay it onto larger areas and then wipe with sponge applicator to ensure even coverage and to wipe up excess.....as with any detialing product use just enough never too much....for small areas or next to paint and lights I then wipe the sponge applicator directly as it will be soaked with the stuff

If ya like you can just spray applicator and wipe.....heck you can use an old wash cloth or Mf towel as your applicator it does not matter too much....just ensure even coverage and not too much where it is puddling like an oil spill.....

I will not and cannot say one is better then the other as they all are about the same except for maybe SMELL....so buy the cheapest per ounce...bring calculator if ya need too.....The gels are too thick IMO and should not be used....I show them so you know about the,

The only thing I have heard bad about this stuff....is some peeps say the bugs land on it and stick....if that is the case I think it may be applied to thick or they are small bugs...but I would think a quick wipe down with a wet towel should wipe them right up and the cladding still will look good.

OK now for pics and links....most products can be bought at any auto parts store, Discount stores, online etc etc.....I look for the cheap ones.....as they all are about the same....

Eagle One

2082625.jpg

The 25 OZ bottle pic is above....List is $4.99 from Eagle 1 but I have seen cheaper at stores. I used this stuff first as it was a sample in some wax I bought from them a long time ago.

Turtle Wax

wetnblack.jpg

Please notice this product comes in many diffent containers....I have used the clear spray bottle.

Meguiars Consumer

product_g74.gif

This product is similar but much much thicker and seems would be hard to apply. I tried that once on small area and man the stuff is just too thick and not enough in bottle....plus more of a PIA to apply.....the one I do not reccommend for cladding.....

Mothers

05340.jpg

This is very similar to Meguiars Endurance stuff see comments there.

Black Magic

tire_wet.jpg

This stuff can be hard to find.....as stores tend to stock the tire tint which is not the same....

Eimann Fabrik Black Opal

classic-motoring_1766_311872

Eimann Fabrik Saphire

classic-motoring_1766_332820

Saphire is a gel where as black opal is the liquid spray.

Both are made by Classic Motoring Accessories which is a great place to buy stuff.....pricey but good customer service.

Klasse

classic-motoring_1767_11239637

Klasse is very good stuff but it smells like kerosene to me.....This is the first product I tried and liked on the cladding....this is the stuff which started my experiments with these tire shine products......expensive but good stuff...

I have seen Wesltey products too which is under on company that owns black magic, slick 50, blue coral too.....

I hope this helps and add your comments and questions.....

PS I own stock in none of these nor do I get any money for this.....I just like Detailing a lot and hate to see peeps get scammed....

ADDED 8 April 2004
Meguiars NXT

techprotectant_product.jpg

Here is pic and link to the NXT protectant from Meguiars....I have it...used it....about the same if not a hair better.....Does cost more about $1 or so.....Smells much better then any other of these IMO...
ADDED 8 April 2004

Great post ;)

I'd like to add that 303 Protectant works very well but, as you've stated before is pricey. I've tried the Eagle as you've suggested before and like it. Not as much as the 303 but, just fine for the price.

Now for the real reason for the post >:D I've found a tip for applying to make it much easier. I take a cereal box ( empty of coure ) and cut out a rectangle as long as the box is. The uncoated cardboard side I face against the paint and the box cover faces you. I use this to slide under or up against the cladding to stop the ( your choice of coating here ) from getting on a place I don't want it. I think you'll be surprised at how easy it slips under most of the cladding. I've yet to scratch the paint and the box cover side resists the liquid pretty good (y) I usually make 2-3 pieces for one application of the cladding. Give it a try :cool:

Peace

IM

Ironic_Masster said:
Great post ;)

I'd like to add that 303 Protectant works very well but, as you've stated before is pricey. I've tried the Eagle as you've suggested before and like it. Not as much as the 303 but, just fine for the price.

Now for the real reason for the post >:D I've found a tip for applying to make it much easier. I take a cereal box ( empty of coure ) and cut out a rectangle as long as the box is. The uncoated cardboard side I face against the paint and the box cover faces you. I use this to slide under or up against the cladding to stop the ( your choice of coating here ) from getting on a place I don't want it. I think you'll be surprised at how easy it slips under most of the cladding. I've yet to scratch the paint and the box cover side resists the liquid pretty good (y) I usually make 2-3 pieces for one application of the cladding. Give it a try :cool:

Peace

IM
Thanks for tip....

And check the 303 thread http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=111;action=display;threadid=19754

I'll throw my 0.2 cents in again for the eagle one as well. Have used most of the other stuff, and nothing last as long as this and it doesn't streak like others. The worst I have used is the Trim Shine - egads the streaking with that stuff!! Much happier with the Eagle One.

I love the original Eagle One Concours Tire Dressing. I'm not as fond of the new Tire Shine. No complaints about the EO price.

303 is nice if you want to make sure your cladding is protected from UVA/UVB radiation. Year three is when you will see the difference if you don't use a product with UV protection.

A few weeks ago I gave a couple of Jeep owners a bottle of RaggTopp Vinyl Protectant to try. They raved about it, claiming that it lasted through a few washes and helped clean off the off-road mud stains. The reason I recommended it is because it was designed to tollerate full sun, rain, snow... on the worst part of the car... a black vinyl top! It is a brand new technology formula that has 10 times more solids content than 303, which simply means that it blocks UVA/UVB better and lasts longer once dry. Just a suggestion.

db

autopia said:
A few weeks ago I gave a couple of Jeep owners a bottle of RaggTopp Vinyl Protectant to try. They raved about it, claiming that it lasted through a few washes and helped clean off the off-road mud stains. The reason I recommended it is because it was designed to tollerate full sun, rain, snow... on the worst part of the car... a black vinyl top! It is a brand new technology formula that has 10 times more solids content than 303, which simply means that it blocks UVA/UVB better and lasts longer once dry. Just a suggestion.

db

The reviews I found sound real good. I ordered some. Will report back (current Eagle 1 user).

autopia said:
I love the original Eagle One Concours Tire Dressing. I'm not as fond of the new Tire Shine. No complaints about the EO price.

Problem with the concours on the plastic cladding is you do not buff hard and well it will leave drip marks on rear fenders where the morning dew or rain dissolves it....hence why to use the tire shine oil like product...it does not run when hit with water...

303 is nice if you want to make sure your cladding is protected from UVA/UVB radiation. Year three is when you will see the difference if you don't use a product with UV protection.

Nope....I used for the first year...and/or Zaino tire dressing which also claims UV inhibitors...but cladding faded......in 1 year.....

I think since there is no meaure of how it inhibits...they can claim it......no definition of UV inhibitors....

I do like it on tires...but it just is not that great on the plastic cladding...IMO

RaggTopp vs Eagle 1 test as begun

panel 3 split in half.
panel 2 split in thirds (rag/non/E1).

1 Storage box lid per.
1 Sail Panel per.

RaggTopp looks similar to ArmorALL.
I used .25-.50 oz from a 16oz bottle.
price was 12.95 from classic motoring. They have good prices, but they get ya on shipping.

Cleaned/Applied/Buffed.

Look similar....kinda hard to see.....it was getting dark fast....

I'll try and post Pic when sun out....maybe rain tonite.

I've had excellent results with the "Black Magic"/"Tire Wet". Auto Zone here in SoCal has it.
During the Laughlin GTG, I was behind everyone (Cough) most of the way back on the dirt rd. in the back of these guys!
Dusty Trail
I noticed the front bumper/cladding hardly collected any dust! (I'm too far back to see that) I've had no streaking and the dark grey '03 cladding really shows it's lustre. The next day in Lake Havasu City, I cleaned it off in a hurry while waiting for the bridge shot. I'm the LPM '03 in front of the '02 nearest the front of the pic where my Rt. hand was up. Choose Original size under view for the best zoom...
London Bridge pic
Unfortunately, that's the best closup I have; I didn't ask the owner of the SOM three Av's in front of me what he used, but it was one *georgous* Av!

I used Eagle 1 on my cladding before I got them painted. worked great. I still use it on my interior. Does not collect dust and leaves a more natural look without the shining residue other products leaves behind.

day 1....rain

panels treated shine and bead.

untreated looks like crap.

waiting for rain to stop to check for runs....

FSUGUY said:
waiting for rain to stop to check for runs....
A visit to doctor may be in order hehehehehe

We need pics ya know.....

But thanks for doing testing....

couldn't get pics yesterday.....cloudy and rainy......

hopefully, it's stopped.....will do runny check at lunch.

no dr needed....I know when i gots them...gotta go NOWWWWW!

FSUGUY said:
couldn't get pics yesterday.....cloudy and rainy......

hopefully, it's stopped.....will do runny check at lunch.

no dr needed....I know when i gots them...gotta go NOWWWWW!
how about now?

Been rainging here for 3 freaking days...arggggggggggggggg

even My fish in the pond are getting mad....hehehehehe

PICS PICS..,.,..

ok....
RaggTopp = no runs
Eagle 1 = minimal runs....probly not buffed good

both look good. Eagle 1 looks a little shinier.

But, the problem I have with Eagle 1 is that it collects bugs.

I'll try and get a PIC later....

FSUGUY said:
ok....
RaggTopp = no runs
Eagle 1 = minimal runs....probly not buffed good

both look good. Eagle 1 looks a little shinier.

But, the problem I have with Eagle 1 is that it collects bugs.

I'll try and get a PIC later....

Collects bugs?.....hmmmmmmm...maybe ya put too much?...maybe the bugs from FSU swamps like ya?....

HEHEHE......We need pics...so stop teasing us....

just to make YGMN happy!
of course battery needed replacing...ughhhh

pic 1

Attachments

• fsu_pan1.JPG
    fsu_pan1.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 2,092
I was really surprised by this....
after 2 days...and it's not the camera angle.

pic2
RaggTopp>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eagle 1
| |

Attachments

• fsu_pan2.JPG
    fsu_pan2.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 2,086
interesting...the tire shine held up better.....

If you get a chance, try out the TurtleWax Tire Wax. I use this on my tires and my cladding. It lasts a long time on both the tires and the cladding. I really dreaded thinking about applying those oily protectants to my cladding because all i could picture was my cladding covered in dust in a few days. This stuff goes on like the rest of them, (it's about the consistency of a watered down liquid wax, not hard to apply at all), but the best part is, that it's dry to the touch. No oily film. It's the first thing I tried on my cladding and I'm really not interested in trying anything else. I'm happy with it. ;D
tirewax.jpg

Has anyone tried Dri Wash car products? I checked online and their website sucks, not much information BUT I have a friend who recommends it. This is the guy who helped me CUT DOWN MY BUGSHIELD yesterday. Like I said in that thread he is a old Hot Rodder and goes to shows all the time. He ownes two show cars and says he has used nothing but their products for the last eleven years!
He gave me a demo and did my whole front end of the Avalanche. He used two differant products, one was the Dri Wash and he used it on the body and glass. It seemed amazing and was super easy to use just spray it on and using a good terry towel spread it around until its gone. It left a good shine just like I had waxed it. You could do the "slide a rag" accross the hood and its just like a good wax job. I am sure that it does not last as long as wax but it is fast and easy.
The other product that he used was Dri Wash tire cleaner. He cleaned the bugshield after we had cut it and had our prints all over it. He also did the front bumper cover and one tire. I loved the way it made the tire look. It looked brand new without the shine that a lot of the tire derssings give you.
He says the best thing about these products is that they help to keep it clean! Now normaly I would doubt all of this but I have known this guy for 20 years or more. He has been in the Hot Rod business for much longer than that and swears by this stuff.
I am going to watch my doghouse and that one tire for a while and just see if I tell any differance in it and the rest of the Avalanche. If I do, I will be buying it and reporting back to you!

Ohh, and I ask him about the tire cleaner that he used on my cladding,if he has EVER seen any running after a rain and he says it does not run! Now like I said, its not as shiney as some stuff but it looks very nice.

Butch

hey....if you guys wanna send me an ounce or so, I'll test them. (PM me)

heck, I spent almost $20 on raggtopp (which still may be better UV wise) BTW- reviews wer great, but it wasn't on this bad of cladding. and we still have long term to determine.

panel 1 is ready for the next comparison!

JDEANZ said:
If you get a chance, try out the TurtleWax Tire Wax. I use this on my tires and my cladding. It lasts a long time on both the tires and the cladding. I really dreaded thinking about applying those oily protectants to my cladding because all i could picture was my cladding covered in dust in a few days. This stuff goes on like the rest of them, (it's about the consistency of a watered down liquid wax, not hard to apply at all), but the best part is, that it's dry to the touch. No oily film. It's the first thing I tried on my cladding and I'm really not interested in trying anything else. I'm happy with it. ;D
tirewax.jpg

It looks like you've found a "winner" and I'm interested in trying it; especially on the tires.

The "Tire Wet" I use applies oily but didn't have the dirt problem I was initially concerned about on the cladding and tires. In fact as I mentioned earlier it seems to repel the dust; I'm not that satisfied with it streaking on the tires - You have to be thorough in all steps to prevent that.

Back