• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

0-60 3 times = WOW Free performance mod

kwinsor

SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Tried unplugging the MAFS and I'll be damn if I can figure out how to get the plug to come loose.

This is a two step process. There is a grey/blue clip on one side that gets pulled out, kind of a fail safe lock. Once that is out look for a little bit of a lever to squeeze as you pull out the plug. A hole in the lever snaps over a hook on the other half of the connector. If you don't squeeze the lever it will never come apart.

re-learn by driving it "like I stole it"

try this;

Find a safe spot. From a dead stop put the pedal to the floor and hold it there until you hit 60. Stop, shut off the truck. Restart and do it all over again. Stop, shut it off, and do it one more time. Now drive around town and tell me what it feels like when you pull away from a light!

kw

kw

Redshift said:
try this;

Find a safe spot. From a dead stop put the pedal to the floor and hold it there until you hit 60. Stop, shut off the truck. Restart and do it all over again. Stop, shut it off, and do it one more time. Now drive around town and tell me what it feels like when you pull away from a light!

kw

kw

OK whaty does this teach the engine?

Curious minds have to ask....

OK whaty does this teach the engine?

I stumbled on this by doing some timed 0-60 runs. After doing 3 runs I drove into town. Most noticeable change, shift points were higher in RPM and firmer. There is a part of the computer that watches how long it takes the transmission to shift gears. It has a programmed time it is looking for. If it takes longer to complete shifts it adjusts the hydraulic pressure until the shift time is within range.

There are all kinds of VooDoo in these trucks dreamed up by a company called Delphi. That is one spooky company!

kw

Okay,
So to do the VooDoo of Stop, 0-6-, shut off, start- 0-60, stop-shutdown X three-
DO I NEED TO disconnect the Bat overnight to do this,
OR can I just go and DO THE stop go VooDo-

Please advise as that is a cool offering?

Please advise-

Redshift!!

HOLY S***!!!!!!

I disconnected the battery cables, put in a paper filter, and drove around yesterday to reprogram the puter. Was happy at the performance until I read your post and went MMMMMMMM??

Well, know I am out of my mind with smiles!!! ;D

WHOLE different truck and gets away from the light like crazy and on a straight winds up and shifts like I was doing it with a stick. GOD GAWD ALMIGHTY!!!!

Karma coming your way BIG TIME!!!!!!

MUCHO THANKS!!!!!

RLT

Sands611,

No! You don't have to disconnect anything. I had already disconnected the battery cables because of a little experiment I was trying going back to a paper filter and "re-teaching" the puter and drove around yesterday doing that.

As I said, I was pleased, I THOUGHT!!, until Redshift's post today. I tought I would give it a try!

Just find a quiet stretch somewhere. Cut the key off. Start up the AV. Floor it and go to 60. Slow down, pull over, park, turn the key off. Repeat two more times. Better if there is a straight stretch like I had where you can just stop in the middle of the road, put it in park, and cut the key off. Believe me, after the second time you don't need much road to reach 60! :2:

Then, drive back into town and hit a stop light like I did. Now, put your foot on the accelerator pedal and SMILE!! ;D

And if you want, go back out to that little quiet stretch and pretend you are at a light and a F*** is next to you and the light turns green. GEEZ! It was like I would have shifted through the gears when I was 19! >:D

RLT

Redshift said:
I stumbled on this by doing some timed 0-60 runs. After doing 3 runs I drove into town. Most noticeable change, shift points were higher in RPM and firmer. There is a part of the computer that watches how long it takes the transmission to shift gears. It has a programmed time it is looking for. If it takes longer to complete shifts it adjusts the hydraulic pressure until the shift time is within range.

There are all kinds of VooDoo in these trucks dreamed up by a company called Delphi. That is one spooky company!

kw

Hey Redshift, how long you been sittin' on this little secret ;D

Wonder how many people are going to give it a try since it is easy and free. I know I will. If you're not sitting at home right now laughing at all of the gullable CAFCNAholics reporting that they are trying this, then thanks for the tip ;)

Rich

Hi Rich,

Hey Redshift, how long you been sittin' on this little secret

I've mentioned it before but it went un-noticed. I hope it worked for you.

kw

I just got back from trying this 'little trick'.
Half a mile down the road after doing the 3-runs-to-60 there was a Four-Way Stop, so I just dropped the hammer.
Slightly damp road. but excellent traction.
40 yard burnout!
I only stopped the burnout at the 40 yards because the back end was dancing around like a Bandaloop Doctor at an indicated 80mph, and I was scaring myself, never mind the civilians!

WOW, HOLY WOW!

guess I gotta do this tomorrow...yall are selling me on this simple mod.....FREE too!!

I concur! Not wow-holy-cow-in-big-red-letters good for my av, but it does indeed make a difference and I LIKE IT. On my second 0-60 run my tires definitely chirped at about 30mph, something that has NEVER happened.

I too wonder how long it will last. Thanks again for the tip, Redshift (y)

In my experience it starts to relearn very quickly. I think the good part of the voo doo is the PCM is now gradually learning DOWN to the way you normally drive instead of gradually learning up from the original granny mode.

I've been told the PCM also learns from how quickly you press the throttle. If you go to pass someone and slowly increase the throttle it will hold the current gear and attempt to speed up. If you push the throttle quickly, (doesn't have to be a lot), the tranny will downshift.

Try it! You don't have to floor it, maybe just an additional 1/4 throttle, but do it instantly. You can back off some as soon as it downshifts. I'm now able to make it downshift when I want and passengers don't even sense the poke at the throttle.

kw

Well,

Going on a week now after the 0-60 runs and the tranny still hunkers down from the light. Even had a couple of runs up the interstate and some stop and goin the mix. The tranny still winds up to 60+ before it comes down out of third. Love the new shift points!!!

And yeah, I noticed that little deal with putting the throttle down quick. Redshift is right, you don't have to floor it just press it down quick. The tranny will downshift.

Sweet!!!!! ;D

RLT

Wonder what other little goodies about the PCM we don't know about and we could get it to do for free? ???

It's almost like finding "cheat codes" for my kids ps2 games. Maybe there are more Easter eggs hidden in the AV.
I didn't quite have the same dramatic seat of the pants effect after doing the Vodoo Reset. I will have to go out and try it again today. Maybe I didn't shut off the ignition long enough. And, I had some cargo in the back, and pax up front.
Is it a factor of how fast you reach 60, then shut down? If so, it makes sense to do it: empty, downhill, and with a tailwind. Also, maybe a couple of more iterations of 0-60 would be even more effective. Or is there a point of diminishing returns after three runs?

Is it a factor of how fast you reach 60

I was trying for 0-60 times, put it right to the floor.

You may need to check your gas. I was running 93. If you are running less you may be getting some knock which will cause the PCM to go into granny mode.

kw

Well I am curious about something I read here on this site. One of the AV gentlemen stated that he used the HPIII and tuned the engine at 93 octane and yet uses 87 octane gas without programming the truck for 87.

Now all this is good for the gentlemen, but I am extremly curious if anyone else has the same experiences. I know I have done this and experienced pinging, and should. The advance timing setting in a HPIII is so far advanced that a truck should ping like crazy. The volume of fuel programmed to enter each cylinder and timed to fire so the fuel all burns and maintains a 209 degree temperture is great.

Does anyone else have a AV programmed to burn 93 octane fuel yet uses 87 and experiences no pinging, but improved performance. I am really curious about this. This would be the first vechicle I have ever seen or heard this happen on. I have seen 89 octane not cause pinging from specific fuel vendors, and there are vendors who put the wrong grade fuel in the wrong storage tanks.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Curious minds want to know.

Steve

Well, as for me?

I want more little secrets from the "skunk works" at Delphi!!

Because I haven't done much driving in the last few days, and had some up and down the interstate Friday, I was wondering if the PCM had gone back to its old "granny" ways. So today, since I had to go to Wally World, I made sure the AV was good and warmed up. Then, as I pulled out of the subdivision onto the main road, mashed the gas. DAMN!

I haven't seen blue smoke come from tires like that since I was a kid and backed off like REAL quick. :eek: Didn't want the kids in the neighborhood to start talking about that crazy old man who drives that AV. ;D

Now, I'm sure the thing is gonna have to be "re-taught" every now and then. But I tell you what, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than forking over $$$$$ for a Hypertech or Superchips etc. when all I wanted was that push you back into the seat feel from the light.

Also, tried out Redshift's little bit about quick down on the pedal. YUP!!! Hunkers down and woosh!!! up in speed.

Now anyone out there figure out anymore of these little things with the PCM let me know.

One happy camper who left a new F150 in the dust not just an hour ago! >:D

RLT

Just wanted to report back about the 0-60 poor-man's programmer thing. After spending the weekend with my Av (er, I mean family...Av just happend to be along for the ride :cautious:) There is most definitely a change after running to 60 three times as described. I was skeptical (not sure why given the most excellent source - Redshift) but all doubts have been removed. It works as advertised (y)

cudaowner said:
How long will the Voodoo Trick last? Does the computer slowly re-learn and return to stock after a couple of days? hours? startups?

My thoughts exactly- as I am sure whle not driving like you stole it the computer is rethinking your drive habits and going to compensate for the normal drive conditions.

Just curious-

David

David,

Well, I'm going on two weeks and it still hunkers down at the light on my AV! My guess, and this is only a guess, is that as long as you don't let it get back into the "little old granny" PCM default comfortably, it will still hunker and learn and remember the way you want it to.

Maybe a "most frequent use of pedal" kind of thing. Either way, I am just curious about anymore little hidden things in the PCM we haven't bumped into yet that will give better performance, or as least performance like some of us would like it.

And, I would think a few mild jack rabbit starts from the stop lights ought to kind keep its memory where it should be, and maybe a few gentle smokes from a standing start every now and then. ;D

Kind of like "Oh no, Granny Tranny! You ain't that old yet. Come on out on the dance floor and lets boogy a little!" >:D

RLT

cudaowner said:
How long will the Voodoo Trick last? Does the computer slowly re-learn and return to stock after a couple of days? hours? startups?

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know! Wonder if some of the really technical members like say, 11H would weigh in on this little trick. Are we about to blow the tranny, or some other little inexpensive piece if we try this??? :rolleyes:

Well, Fitchr,

I'm not saying anything but the following:

Do the three 0-60 things. Do like I did and drive around almost two weeks, not trying to let the "granny tranny" try to slip back into its habits. That has to be your call as to how you do that and what you feel okay with.

Then, go out and do another three, like I did today. I am not commenting until someone else does it as well. Then we can compare notes. :rolleyes:

RLT

I will try to do this tomorrow....but man the roads around here are packed with cars......

YGMN,

ALL got things come to those that wait. You be safe and pick a time and place where you can do this. Okay?? :cautious:

Don't need stuff all over the road from someone trying to try out a mod!! Even a cheap one! :cautious:

RLT

Back