• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dumb and Dumber 2004 fuel filter in tank

spyder63

I can hardly believe this one. Monday I picked up my new 2004 Av. I look them over real good as soon as I get home, checking all the fluid levels etc. I looked to see where the fuel filter was mounted. I couldn't find it in the normal position on the left frame rail under the driver's seat. So I looked at all the fuel lines from the tank to the fuel rails on the engine. No filter! I called my dealer and he told me it was on the frame rail. I told him It wasn't there. He all but called me a lair. Anyway, he did some research and found that the brilliant engineers at Chevy decided to put the fuel filter inside the tank. They cited that to many customers were complaining about it costing $500.00 to $700.00 to replace fuel pumps that failed because the fuel filter had never been changed and created so much back pressure on the pump that it failed. So, Chevy put it in the tank and said it was good for the life of the truck. B.S. What if you get a bad load of fuel and it plugs it up. Now you are stuck with a tank drop to change a filter.
I can't imagine what they were thinking when they decided to do this.
Thought I had better post this so that when you all start to change your filter you won't spend an hour looking for it.
I wonder if Chevy will honor this under warranty if it plugs up?
They may have it fixed so will have to buy the complete pump assembly just to get the filter. :B:

westex

On the '02 they are on the frame. Whew! I have already replaced mine ;D

When I seen this topic, I thought it as about the my favorite movie!
:2: :cautious: :D

:B:Les :B:

Well that explains why my 04 manual doesn't say to replace the fuel filter on the recommended maintenance.

This is not new in the industry. Chryslers has been doing this for several years already. I remember my 1994 cadillac owners manual said "Periodic servicing or replacing the fuel filter is not required." Of course I changed it anyway.

I'm more inclined to believe that the General didn't do that only because of the pump failures, although I wouldn't doubt it as a reason. I'm thinking more likely as GM: "how can we save money". :rolleyes:

I got to 30k miles on my '01 Silverado and changed the filter myself, and then proceeded to trade it in on my new Avalanche two months later! Oh well........

I did the same thing as spyder63, did a major crawl-around when I picked the Av up at the dealer. I DID notice the fuel filter was missing, but I figured it was hidden somewhere else. NOW I KNOW IT'S HIDDEN REAL GOOD! Dang it GM, why'd ya have to go and do that????????

spyder63 said:
I wonder if Chevy will honor this under warranty if it plugs up?
westex

different kinda of problem, but i have a friend who owns an '03 Tahoe. she got hold of some bad gas that caused the truck to suffer a dramatic loss of power, stumbling, and bad emissions. she took it to the dealer for a diagnosis. they told her she had water in the fuel system. they were going to charge her $700 to fix it. no warranty coverage would apply because she introduced the problem to the truck by pumping bad gas into it.

So is this to say we DO NOT have to worry about changing Fule filters?
What about adding one inline to the motor- well, scratch that as dumb?
Sorry-
Wow, I can not believe that at all.

Technology?

The fuel pump and filter have been unitized inside the tank due to new federal regulations. ALL gasoline VEHICLES sold in North America will have to meet these new standards and ALL OF THEM will be using a common fuel pump/filter etc inside the tank to aid in tank integrity/evaporative emmissions and vapor recovery during fueling. Don't blame GM for this one, it is not something their engineers would choose to do independently.

Like someone said before, car/truck manufacturers have been doing this for years. I have an 88 Ford Bronco and it has 2 filters, one in the tank and one on the frame under the drivers seat. I have only ever replaced the one on the frame rail. It really is no big deal that the chevys now have theirs in the tank, just my 2 cents...

~bekind

MACGI_98_Z28 said:
The fuel pump and filter have been unitized inside the tank due to new federal regulations. ALL gasoline VEHICLES sold in North America will have to meet these new standards and ALL OF THEM will be using a common fuel pump/filter etc inside the tank to aid in tank integrity/evaporative emmissions and vapor recovery during fueling. Don't blame GM for this one, it is not something their engineers would choose to do independently.

Sounds like typical bureaucratic BS! How in the hell does the filter being outside the tank introduce vapor into the air??? The ONLY time this would be any issue at all is at filter replacement. Jeeeez. What next? :D:

Now for the real reason for fuel pump failure. Dirt clogging the pre-strainer in the tank. Seen this many times. I hope this is a large filter or we'll all be suffering burned up fuel pumps.... :8:

I would think of the safety issue... I have seen several vehicles where the fuel lines at the filter connections were distroyed and rubber hose used to make the connections. It may have been fine with a carbuerated engine but with presure up to 60psi it is very unsafe. I would rather have one I can change easily but I think GM is oblegated to idiot proof what they can. This only my opinion and just a portion of the big picture. Matt One more reason to keep my 02!

The fuel pump failed on my new O2 around 7500 miles and it wasn't due to a clogged filter nor cronically running the vehicle with a low fuel load. Guess I should change my filter as I'm close to 30M miles. I'd agree with previous comments about little improvement in emisions by moving the filter inside the tank. However, I could see where there might be some safety improvements. I've had several vehicles that had some cheesy fuel filter connections that I suspect might come loose in a collision.

GPM1972 said:
I've had several vehicles that had some cheesy fuel filter connections that I suspect might come loose in a collision.

Yep, the Fords use a clip-on connection that I alway's was skeptical of.

GM's truck filters have hard lines that screw into the filter w/ a small flexable section. I would think braided stainless sections would be the way to go, especially in an accident.

i was looking at what i believed was an '04 Suburban tonight to see if it had the fuel filter in the old location. yup. there it was. under the driver seat. i went outside to look at the AV, but could not see very well. i think it was not there. i will get a better look tomorrow. is there a chance they put them in different place's?
the Sub' was inside the shop area. it was used as a demo vehicle for a new customer orientation. i just went to get some free stuff. >:D i just went about 1 1/2 years ago when i bought my first AV.
i will let you all know what i find tomorrow. i want to believe it is not there from the info i have read here. but, why would GM put them in different locations on two vehicles that share the same platform. unless the vehicle was not an '04. i should have checked rather than take the word of the guy who worked there.

Local dealer told me mine was on the rail of my 04 cladded 1500 as well, but I can't find it.  I am going with you guys that it is in the tank.

In looking at the lines running near my tank, there appears to be what looks like a pump where a fuel filter might go.  Any idea what I was looking at...immediately in front of the gas tank.

It would be on the frame rail, you have to slide under the driver side toward the front of the driver door. It will look like a canister and it will be on the back side of the frame rail.

I'm pretty sure your filter is in the tank.

I never thought of that, it's feasible but I don't think it would be worth it.

Plus you would still have the filter in the tank that could get clogged.

cadboy1 said:
Plus you would still have the filter in the tank that could get clogged.

Unless you also changed the pump to match, but then what's the real point as you can change the filter with the pump at that time.

No performance/economical benefit...

Back