• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Is it a TRUE Avalanche ?

A

AGGIE

While looking around a couple of Chevy dealers in the SA TX area, I noticed that 99% of the 2004 AV's on the lot were equipped without body hardware. I thought to myself, am I looking at a AV or am I looking at a pickup with a bed cover or a surburban without a camper shell. I remember the arguement that people had in the 80's and 90's that true Jeep's had round headlamps. Could the same be said that true AV's have body hardware? Just food for thought. ???

Oh, did not say that they were ugly. Would not kick one out of the driveway by any means. The question is "Is it a TRUE Avalanche?"

I have WBH. Love it. Why buy a 2wheel drive or worse yet, a halfsize-midsize truck? Eh..these are things that people have differing opinions and preferences. Unless you're paying for it don't really have a great deal of impact on the matter, enjoy them all.

...least they're not pinto's :p

Yes, I guess the sames arguement has been made throughout automotive history.
Jeep without round headlamps.
Trans AM without an eagle on the hood.
Mustangs without a V8.
and Tanks without a Big Gun.

I have an 02 so my loyalty lies with body hardware being the TRUE AV. However, I do like them both.

I just refer to the WBH as an Averado >:D

Mac

I have to agree with the previous post, the midgate and other features make it an AV (I personally always look for the sail when trying to spot an AV in the crowd) and the cladding is just an option just like so many other options on any vehicle. I personally have cladding and would not have it any other way (hit a deer and aside from a small crack in the cladding, no damage. I doubt the same could be said if I had hit it with the nakid skin of a WBH).
The purists could argue that even the 04' with cladding are not "real" Av's as they don't have many "AV features" such as the second cargo light and possibly not the side airbags or even a HITCH :eek: (don't get me started).
So I will accept any new options as still being an AV but the original 02' will always be my benchmark for "The real thing".

My $.02
RGUARD

What make us unique is a mid gate, not clading-
An av naked or clothed is a av none the less. I prefer the cladded but to each his own!

Depends if you would rather Be Naked ?
Great for the comfort but being caught in public that way :eek:
If everyone did that they could be called "Silverados" and no one would pay much attention! :rolleyes:

Well, while I love the cladded AV, I had one of the first here, Ask the dealers which they think is "true" and I guarantee they would say the WBH since they order them about 9 to one! I know, before I bought my WBH, I was looking for cladded, but i have to tell ya, I really like the WBH, wish I had the cladded nose, but with the fender flares and side molding, It's pretty killer! :B:

Well when I was down at Gunn Chevy (Crock knows who I'm talking about) having the new mirrors programmed there where I'd say about 25 Av's all lined up. Well you can guess what I was doing while waiting for my Av. I was supprised to see alot of them where cladded. I would stand and look at a cladded then look at a WBH and although they both look awsome the one I would have taken home would have been the cladded. I just like the contrast of the two different colors. And I know it's not true but the WBH looked a little smaller than the cladded Av to me.

The bigger question is why are some dealership buyers not getting cladded Av's??? Kinda limits the customer's choices...

MrJim
:B:

I look at it this way. and I do say I..

When the trucks first came out it was the cladding that I saw first. second came the mid gate.

and then the tool boxes on the truck and the covered bed.

The way the truck looked was cool. The wife did not like the truck at all. and we were paying cash for this truck and she told me if it is what I want then get it.

Now that the trucks have NO cladding she looks at them as a truck and does not want to get her AV without the cladding she said it is what makes it stand out from all the other Chevy truck. I would say she is right if you are just looking at it from the road. but when you get up close it is all the other stuff that makes it a AV.

With the cladding on it you know it ia an AV.
So I would say Cladding shows it is an AV.

But all the other stuff makes it the AV.

I hope you understand all that.

Pete

I have a WBH also and I love it. The Flares keep it free from dents (Sorta) and it doesn't have all the funny cladding.

But something I just read
...least they're not pinto's

Ummm, they keep their fuel filters in the fuel tank? Mechanical Fuel filters that have a chance of generating a spark?

Hmmm...I think we will have a fun time as a pinto after all.

I have one of each, and i get the most compiments on the wbh , i like it better to. most ppl say the cladded is to cluttered looking and i agree. mabe someday the 2500 will wbh. and i'll be the first in line to buy it.

I guess I am with the original AV loyalists in saying that the cladded AV is the true av...

the WBH is an imposter >:D

All in good fun guys...

Grey

Didn't anyone tell you guys it's what's on the inside that matters most? From the wheel I cannot tell whether I'm driving cladded or cladless, no more claderation please. There is no real functional difference between the two (besides the rear step bumper), it is simply a different trim package. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time and was concerned about oxidation and warping, which will be issue enough on my sail panels and bed covers. I always tell someone to buy what YOU want, after all it is your money. Saying its not a TRUE Avalanche is taking it a bit far...

I guess we are running out of things to talk about. No matter the wrapper, it's a GREAT VEHICLE!!!!

p.s. How about some snow in New England!!!!!!!

I quess the big question is,
is it the same wheel base? as the orig or the extd SLVRDO
If diferent then the slvrdo,,, WE rule >:D

because there is a hood change as well
So it would be a differnt platform
sincerely,
Mr plastic pants

umm... did I miss something that the WBH is built on the siverado platform?

Last I heard it was built on the suburban platform just like the cladded AV........

Back