Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: SQUEEK, SQUEAL, CLUNK, RUB...  (Read 29948 times)

NPHOTO

• I luv a tricked out Av!!!!!
SQUEEK, SQUEAL, CLUNK, RUB...
« on: 02/16/04 05:57 PM »

I know it's not a Lexus or a BMW,but is it me or how many of you Av. owners
have learned to live with noisey creeks from door panels, or squeeky
suspension, or squealing breaks, or other strange noises which your dealership
can not explain or warranty. I bought my Av. in May of '02 and knew that all
an Av. is, is a Silverado/Surburban hybrid (and the coolest looking thing to hit the open road)! But no matter how hard I try to look after my Av. the noises
that my dealer tries to lube and dismiss away are still there. If it's me, and enough fellow Av. owners don't complain then I'll leave it alone and chalk it up to me just being a*a%. I guess i'm just curious ??? ??? ??? ???
'02 z66 Av w/
22s, billett grill, Pioneer dvd head unit
2 x 5.6" monitors in the headrests
Gibson exhaust

working4change(formerly known as Zedhead12)

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/04 06:08 PM »

Compared to my 2004 international tractor trailer....my 2002 av is quiet as a tomb ;D ,other than that saving for a lift kit which will include urethene bushings
`02 DGM  Amber DRL,Silver*,50w Reverse lights,Tinted Ventshades,50w Fogs and more coming!!! traded in!!!!!!!!!03-09-04
`04 Z-71 all options Silver Birch Metallic
sunroof,RSE,Leather,Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!
Biker-chic handles,Enkie Fenders
50W reverse,Silver*,On*,Xm,Custom Dual CB antenna Set-up

truckman

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • The Avalanche Absolutely Rocks! Ain't It Cool?
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/04 06:09 PM »

Once in a while I'll get a creek or squeek but it is usually when it is really cold outside like this morning.  It was about 9 degrees F.  If you are in sunny CA, I don't know?!?  

Truckman :B:
2010  Z71 Summit White. sun roof, VentShades, Husky Liner splash guards, WeatherTech deflector, body pinstripe w/bowtie, luxury package, OEM chrome tip exhaust.  Other loves, '05 loaded Summit White Tahoe LT & '83 Z28 completly stock, bought new, 'O2 Monte Carlo SS loaded and '05 loaded Equinox LT & '02 Blazer LS 4x4.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/04 06:25 PM »

I have 2002.....40K miles.......and no squeeks.....none.....except my butt moving on seats hehehe

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

NPHOTO

• I luv a tricked out Av!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/04 06:27 PM »

If a 2004 International tractor was quieter than my Av I would shoot myself :o
And as for 9 degrees this morning for my fellow Av. owner a warm sunny summer day in southern Cali. gets to about 120 degrees, cooling off to a brisk 95-100 degrees by about 1am! :o
'02 z66 Av w/
22s, billett grill, Pioneer dvd head unit
2 x 5.6" monitors in the headrests
Gibson exhaust

peekingduck

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • There is no excuse for failure....only reasons!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 02/16/04 07:36 PM »

I spent a summer working in a dealership and one of our service managers has this advice to every squeek, squeal, and clunk a fixall for all of it. Take your hand, rest it on the shifter while in drive so that your wrist just pivots on it then extend your fingers there should be a knob reasonably close to your fingers turn that knob tward the passengers side gradually and ever so carefully eventually the noise will disapear!!!!!!! :4: :4:  

THE DUCK
« Last Edit: 02/16/04 07:41 PM by peekingduck »
2002 pewter Z71,mods- amber DRL's, maglite mod, vent visors, brochure holder (for tagging of course), tinted windows, nerf bars, specialized dog drool running down the rear doors, bumer cups, baby seat and.......... more to come

sooners2win

« Reply #6 on: 02/16/04 08:12 PM »

I have a door rattle that is driving me nutz! And a squeek somewhere in the back.
02/Z66 Indigo Blue with grey cladding
SS Headlights, full time Amber DRL's
Blue 194 interior lights throughout

WILDFIRE

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
  • I see...
« Reply #7 on: 02/16/04 08:31 PM »

the sunroof cover rattles unless closed and the driver side door rattles on mine. i have had to utilize the radio fix.
sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out

ggates

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 03/05/04 12:33 PM »

I think either my rear window or midgate crossbar is squeaking now.  It's pretty persistent.

I have an '02 (bought in 11/01) with about 48k miles.

I somewhat expected the rear window to start.  I'm going to try lithium grease to see if this quiets it.

Of course, the roads around here suck, so I'm probably shaking it more than many.
2002 Indigo Blue Metallic (all possible options), '03 folding mirrors, billet bowtie, stripeman avalanche decal, bug deflector, Jensen VM9424 Double DIN-yes it fits in my 1.5 DIN opening, WANTED: LED tail lights

Main One

• I've got Yellow Fever!
« Reply #9 on: 03/05/04 01:41 PM »

I had a squeek in the passenger side rear door panel.  I didn't notice it until I rode in the back one day.  Just setting your arm on the armrest made a squeek.  I asked the dealer to fix it and he did.  No problems since with that squeek, but I'm now noticing a very slight rattle coming from the radio.  I can press on the radio's display and the squeek stops.  I'll have to have the dealer fix that before the warranty runs out.

Fastest AV at Bowling Green GTG - 88.76 mph
Quickest 1/2 ton AV at Bowling Green GTG - 15.914 sec ET
Reaction Time - Don't Ask!!!
Bowling Green GTG Texas Hold'em Champion!

t_i_gg_errr

• GOD BLESS AMERICA!
« Reply #10 on: 07/11/04 05:45 PM »

My squeaks just came on in the past couple months ???

Bought AV in Nov of 01...no problems until June 04...38,000 miles. :A:

Seems to be coming from Rear Passenger Door and Mid-Gate...I have tried to find the source while my wife was driving...but no luck as of yet. :E:
Just upgraded from 2002 WBH to 2005 w/o

sperry

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
  • I'll be right down...
« Reply #11 on: 07/11/04 08:10 PM »

`Just over 10K, So far, Soooo quiet. Whew! Crossing the fingers.
03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIOd Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.

Chevalanche

• Louisiana Chapter Mascot
« Reply #12 on: 07/13/04 09:43 AM »

35,000 miles and still as quiet as a church mouse. :1:
« Last Edit: 07/13/04 09:43 AM by chevalanche »
2005 Dark Blue Mettalic LS. 20" GM wheels, sunroof, assist steps, vent visors, bug sheild, trailer hitch,lights in both storage compartments,underhood light, with  no stabilitrak and with  homelink transmitter.

james21

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • What Do You Do With Your AV
« Reply #13 on: 07/13/04 10:27 AM »

I bought mine in Nov. 02, have 49,000 on her and have heard just about every sound that I can imagine. The one sound that I have heard 3 times that I cringe when I hear it is the metal-on-metal grinding sound when my pads and rotors are shot.

-James. 8)
Avalanche 1500 BLK NFE w/ 4.56, locking Diff & 18inch wheels. MODS: Amber DRLs; Sunroof, Confer Rack; Volant Intake; MSD; NGK Iridiums; Magnaflow SS; PIAA low beams; HID Highs; Mercury Xenon 885 fogs; SOR front, WAAG rear; SS Bug Shield; Predator Dash & Grille lights, Whelen Strobes & TIR3s.
Newest Mod: 2nd Black Stealth Bumper; PC Xterrain; RCD 6", Rigid LED Bars front & rear; Dual Shocks.

Next Mods: LA Patented AV Snorkel
Never-to-Be Mods: Duramax/Allison; SOR Rear.

She's All Modded out.

Cat Dancer

• Well Stanley, This is Another Fine Mess!
« Reply #14 on: 07/13/04 03:22 PM »

Once in a great while the A/C sensor over the driver's seat will start up. I found myself tapping the left side A pillar trying to isolate the vibration a week ago. That hasn't happened since one time last November in Colorado.

Other than that, not a peep, squeak, or rattle to mention.

It must be the desert heat. But it's a dry heat.
2K03 LPM Z71 5/03 - 4/10
The True Essence of Understatement

2K10 Z71
Not Sperry Driven, Sperry Approval Pending

2K13 Black Diamond, Chair Lift Edition , Black Of Course!

JohnBChef

• I came. I saw. I modded. What else should I do???
« Reply #15 on: 07/13/04 03:43 PM »

Oh wow I thought this was a thread on "breaking in" your new truck with your significant other.
Sorry,
JB
Gotta love the smile

atxlanche

• lovin the atx
« Reply #16 on: 07/13/04 05:54 PM »

i got a popping noise when i turn or when the weight of the truck shifts mainly towards the drivers side. I've taken it in twice to the dealership and they gave me some explanation about a hole drilled to big on the driver side cross member. they'd lube it up and would quiet it down for a short while. Only have about 7k on the odometer now and it started pretty soon after i bought it. Nothing terrible but it is annoying at times.  :B:
2004 arrival blue, full time amber drl's, sony Xplod 1200 watt amp with two 12 inch xplod subs, bug deflector II, texas longhorns hitch cover, modified "avalanche" 3rd brake light, custom bowtie, tailgate lettering and c-pillar decals courtesy of lasr-decals.com, blue strobes, .

Z66 BUTCH

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
  • I love Dachshunds
« Reply #17 on: 07/13/04 06:53 PM »

The only squeaks I have noticed is when something is rolling around in the glove box.

Butch

TNAV

• How About those RED SOX!
« Reply #18 on: 07/14/04 08:59 PM »

Oh wow I thought this was a thread on "breaking in" your new truck with your significant other.
Sorry,
JB
;D hahahaha, now that's a squeak I like to hear :4:

Tony_V

• In the Buff...
« Reply #19 on: 07/30/04 06:47 AM »

I know it's not a Lexus or a BMW,but...

I don't buy that at all!  Our AVs cost more than some Lexus and BMW models.  I agree it is not a top-line luxary car, but I don't think anyone should have to pay $40k or more for a rattle trap.  I really like my AV but I really don't like dealing with GM service departments.  I had a squeek in the rear of my AV.  Started out at around 9000 miles and very intermittent but got worse over time.  Decided to take it to my dealer at around 15000 miles.  They actually told me when I dropped off the AV that squeeks and Rattles are only covered for 12 months or 12000 miles  :o (which is not true).  Then they told me they couldn't warranty it anyway becaues I had the factory shocks changed.   :o :o.  The reasoning being that whoever installed the shocks could have done it wrong, twisting the frame causing the noise (nevermind the noise was there 5 months before the shocks were changed).  After listening to this BS I was so mad I had to walk out and compose myself.  I went back and threatened to call the regional GM rep.  They took the AV in under warranty.  The tech didn't fix a thing, he looked at it with a flash light and squirted a few rear suspension components with some sort of lube.  I am wondering if they received the results of the customer satisfaction survey they sent me yet  :4:.

I just took it to another dealer and they seemed to have fixed the problem the first time.  It was the spare tire of all things.  They claim is wasn't tight enough.  I have to believe them because it doesn't seem to be squeeking any more.  However, it was also there for another problem (steering shaft lub thing) which they fixed and screwed up something else which required another trip to see them  :8:.  

I'm sorry for this long ranting post, but I just don't think we should be forced to accept noises and lousy service.

Atxlanche wrote:
i got a popping noise when i turn or when the weight of the truck shifts mainly towards the drivers side. I've taken it in twice to the dealership and they gave me some explanation about a hole drilled to big on the driver side cross member.
:7: So FIX IT!

Tony
'03 1500 WBH, Summit White, Factory Stainless Side Steps, Bucket seats, convenience package, 3.73 posi, Trailering package, moldings and flares,  Amber DRL's, Lund clear bug shield, MSD 8.5s, Tru-Cool TOC, Prodigy trailer brake controller, PIAA Extreme White (9006s), PIAA Extreme White 9005 fog lamps, Sirius Satellite Radio connected through Sound Gate KNGM1, EZ-Slide... and more to come!

RichUF

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • UNP1MPD
« Reply #20 on: 07/30/04 06:55 AM »

in my experience, GM's are notorious for interior noises due to parts rubbing, etc.  Av is best I've experience yet, but still not great  :-\

I get noise from glovebox, driver door panel controls, and then occasional mystery noises from various places when on dirt roads.  Based on my experience, I'm not even going to bother to try to locate them.
[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]

Hangman

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner
    • Hunting Web site
« Reply #21 on: 07/30/04 07:15 AM »

I have very little cabin noise except for maybe the glove box...I guess I'm lucky!!!

Hangman
Have: Dodge 1500 Hemi...Had and Miss: Z-71 - LPM, Tinted Windows, True Dual exhaust w/#40 Flowmasters, Nerf Bars and Bull Bar, PIAA 540's, Billet Grill, Billet Knobs, Billet Fuel Door, HPlll, K&N FIPK, Bugflector ll and vent visors. Silver Star High & Lows (All 4 on High) All 4 Brake and turn signals, 50 watt fogs, F/T DRL's, Blue puddle lights & Interior, Door Scanners, Keyless tailgate, Maglight, PIAA  Blades, Sail Panel Lights, Cup Holders, AVTFM,  Bed Rack, Strobes, Gatorback Black, VR strap

Uesque

« Reply #22 on: 07/30/04 07:24 AM »

I don't buy that at all!  Our AVs cost more than some Lexus and BMW models.  I agree it is not a top-line luxary car, but I don't think anyone should have to pay $40k or more for a rattle trap.  

You've just hit on one of the reasons that the rebate on Chevy trucks is $5,000, and at best $750 on the Tundra, and why a 2001 Sequoia still gets over $30,000.  I find it amazing that Ford, GM and Chrysler still wonder why they're losing market share.  

The Avalanche is proof positive that they're capable of building a well thought out vehicle(the new Malibu is another) if they could just get the execution right.

RENO AV

• We love the '07
« Reply #23 on: 10/09/04 10:00 PM »

JUST PURCHASED A NEW 04 1500 W/O HARDWARE, I HAVE 1,118 MILES ON IT AND I AM HEARING THE SQUEEK MOAN AND GROAN. HOPE TO HEAR SOME GOOD FEEDBACK ON THIS TOPIC..... ANYONE KNOW A CONCERNED GM AVALANCHE REP. MANY EXTRAS IN THE WORKS. PICTURES TO FOLLOW SOON.
2007 BLACK. AFTERMARKET 20'S, CHROME HANDLES, BUG GUARD, CUSTOM MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, PEELED REAR EMBLEM, TINT, BILLET GRILLE, BILLET BOWTIE, AMBERS, SIMONIZED....

watsonbird123

« Reply #24 on: 12/07/04 09:27 PM »

The have noise.

I have is the previously posted vibrating heat shield noise when you step on the gas when the AV is cold. I think it sound cool so I am not doing nothing about it.

My passenger door clunks when you open it havent figured it out yet and keep forgetting about it when I am at the dealer. Will have to have them look at it one of these days.

Most recently I got out of my truck to go into the store and left my AV running and heard what sounds like a water pump squeal. I never noticed this before because I rarely keep my AV running with out me in it.

My 15000-mile oil change and check up is coming soon so I will have to have them look at it.

WB123

PS The radio fix really does work well.
2009 Hummer H3T BLack
"My Little Monster"

It is not my AV, but it is a very nice truck

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
« Reply #25 on: 12/08/04 05:22 AM »

About six months ago I had a horrible squeak noise coming from the front end.  I tried greasing everything on the truck to no avail.  I was getting so frustrated I wanted to drive it off a cliff.  After seeking advice here at CAFCNA, I told the dealer to replace the front shock bushings - and that solved the squeak!   :1:

I still have intermittent noises coming from the dash.  And the center arm rest is so noisy I try not to lay my arm on it.  But overall I'm still happy with the Av as I approach the end of the warranty.
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

BLK02Z71

« Reply #26 on: 12/08/04 04:46 PM »

I must agree with the members who feel squeeks,clunks and weird noises in their AV's :( , sadly I am living with this since I bought my AV also, the front end was lubed at dealer and sounds quieter when entering/exiting my parking but still lots of unexplainable clunks and squeeks!!! :( ???  very frustrating to know that other GM SUV's have better quality ie. Yukon/Tahoe/Envoy
« Last Edit: 12/08/04 05:01 PM by BLK02Z71 »
MY GARAGE:

21/6/05:Traded in 02 Black Onyx Z71 AV > 05 Pewter Metallic HummerH2 (Adventure Series) SOLD

25/11/05:Traded-in 02 GMC Yukon 4x4 > 03 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 Superior Blue Metallic (stock with great Bose sound system)

3/12/06: Bought 2006 Mercedes ML500 (Black) , front bullbar & rear guard & sidesteps

capz71

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!
Re: SQUEEK, SQUEAL, CLUNK, RUB...
« Reply #27 on: 02/21/05 04:38 PM »

I have a 2002 avalanche that had a squeek in the front end and a slight banging noise under the drivers seat. After  6 trips to the dealer the problem ended up being the torshion bar mount.
2002 forrest green Z71 amber drl's Billet grille bug sheild mud flaps carbon fiber dash gibson daul exhaust

rickauf

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #28 on: 07/01/05 06:30 PM »

don't kid yourself. 

i just sold my 97 mercedes benz 500 s coupe with only 47k miles.  that car was $100,000.00 new and i got 18 for it.  it squeeked and creekedby 25 k miles.   they all do.

moosc

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
« Reply #29 on: 07/01/05 06:49 PM »

my 05 Av brand new steering clunk rear end squeek right rear door panel is noisey my 99 silverado nbs was a quiter ride :E:

Have you heard???  The 2017 National is coming to STI..!!!!!!!!
Click Banner Above for More Info

grnxnam

• CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member
  • Pastafarian
« Reply #30 on: 07/01/05 08:03 PM »

the vehicle I owned before my Av was a Hyundai Accent.  the week I drove my Hyundai home, I ripped out the interior and installed a layer of Dynamat Extreme and then coated that with about 8-10 cans of Dynaspray.  Add to all of that that it was a 4-banger...anything else is going to have noises.  Especially when I traded the stock exaust for a FM 40. 

The way I look at it is that its a big truck with a V8...its gonna make noises
Jesus wasn't white, so why does he look like Kid Rock on a cross?"

Traiphilly

• History can repeat itself
« Reply #31 on: 10/27/05 07:19 AM »

My Serpentine belt and the  bracket was something awful in the cold mornings.  I took it to the dealership and they both were replaced and  will fill you in later to the developments.  :wave:
05' DkGryMet  Z71, 285 50R 20 GOODYEAR GTII'S AMERICAN RACING WHEELS, DF 50,K/N FILTER,  Z71 BADGES, PRIEMIUM SOUND, DVD , REAR CAMERA, CHROME SPORT BARS,

Trophyman

• Charter Member
  • Give That Man a Trophy!!
« Reply #32 on: 04/06/06 01:49 PM »

To all the guys with the squeak that sounds like a bird chirping:I chased this thing for a week.  From under the hood, to wheel wells, bed, etc.
I finally found it under the driver's side just inside the rocker panel.  About under the driver's seat.  There is a "press in" hangar for the parking brake cable that pushes up into the floorboard and then the cable clips into it.  Squeaking like a banshee everytime I hit a little bump in the road.  One squirt of Break Free and it is finally gone. :D
Trophyman
2008. Avalanche Z-71  Black.  Black Leather.  Joey Bed Slide.  Every option except block heater, roof rack and heated washer fluid with rain sensing wipers.  I can tell when it's raining :)

2005 Trailblazer LT.  Black.  Black Leather.  Nav System.  XM.  (Wife's ride)

NRA Patron Member

AlpineNInfinity

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #33 on: 12/31/06 09:42 AM »

my av sounds like im inside a tin can and theres a constant drummer hitting it. its all good though.

lineman03

« Reply #34 on: 12/21/08 11:39 AM »

haven't heard any interior noises yet :cool: but I do get a clunking popping noise when making a sharp turn at low speed typically when pulling in my driveway :thumbdown:

PEZalanche

« Reply #35 on: 07/13/15 10:05 PM »

I realize this is an old thread but want to say as a new owner of a 2004 the one thing that surprises me and I keep saying to my wife is how quiet the truck is. I've probably just jinxed myself but my truck is the tightest vehicle noise/squeak wise that I have ever owned.

ngrome

« Reply #36 on: 10/20/16 02:48 PM »

I find this topic funny but again, I've had an 02 AV passed over to me from a relative and it has all the squeaks, creaks, wobble, that is inherent of good old American production at the time.  Not a hater, I love America, but I have two other vehicles which are imports of around the same year (03 and 04) that are still today as tight as they run and noiseless, compared to the Avalanche.  I haven't bought anything past 2004 sadly (which is the last year I bought brand new, not American, an import) so when that time comes when I'm ready to buy new, or at least not more than four years old, I'll have to see how much American assembly and production has improved.
2002 Chevy Avalanche K1500
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 23 queries.