• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SQUEEK, SQUEAL, CLUNK, RUB...

NPHOTO

I know it's not a Lexus or a BMW,but is it me or how many of you Av. owners
have learned to live with noisey creeks from door panels, or squeeky
suspension, or squealing breaks, or other strange noises which your dealership
can not explain or warranty. I bought my Av. in May of '02 and knew that all
an Av. is, is a Silverado/Surburban hybrid (and the coolest looking thing to hit the open road)! But no matter how hard I try to look after my Av. the noises
that my dealer tries to lube and dismiss away are still there. If it's me, and enough fellow Av. owners don't complain then I'll leave it alone and chalk it up to me just being a*a%. I guess i'm just curious ??? ??? ??? ???

Compared to my 2004 international tractor trailer....my 2002 av is quiet as a tomb ;D ,other than that saving for a lift kit which will include urethene bushings

Once in a while I'll get a creek or squeek but it is usually when it is really cold outside like this morning. It was about 9 degrees F. If you are in sunny CA, I don't know?!?

Truckman :B:

I have 2002.....40K miles.......and no squeeks.....none.....except my butt moving on seats hehehe

If a 2004 International tractor was quieter than my Av I would shoot myself :eek:
And as for 9 degrees this morning for my fellow Av. owner a warm sunny summer day in southern Cali. gets to about 120 degrees, cooling off to a brisk 95-100 degrees by about 1am! :eek:

I spent a summer working in a dealership and one of our service managers has this advice to every squeek, squeal, and clunk a fixall for all of it. Take your hand, rest it on the shifter while in drive so that your wrist just pivots on it then extend your fingers there should be a knob reasonably close to your fingers turn that knob tward the passengers side gradually and ever so carefully eventually the noise will disapear!!!!!!! >:D >:D

THE DUCK

the sunroof cover rattles unless closed and the driver side door rattles on mine. i have had to utilize the radio fix.

I think either my rear window or midgate crossbar is squeaking now. It's pretty persistent.

I have an '02 (bought in 11/01) with about 48k miles.

I somewhat expected the rear window to start. I'm going to try lithium grease to see if this quiets it.

Of course, the roads around here suck, so I'm probably shaking it more than many.

I had a squeek in the passenger side rear door panel. I didn't notice it until I rode in the back one day. Just setting your arm on the armrest made a squeek. I asked the dealer to fix it and he did. No problems since with that squeek, but I'm now noticing a very slight rattle coming from the radio. I can press on the radio's display and the squeek stops. I'll have to have the dealer fix that before the warranty runs out.

My squeaks just came on in the past couple months ???

Bought AV in Nov of 01...no problems until June 04...38,000 miles. :love:

Seems to be coming from Rear Passenger Door and Mid-Gate...I have tried to find the source while my wife was driving...but no luck as of yet. :E:

`Just over 10K, So far, Soooo quiet. Whew! Crossing the fingers.

I bought mine in Nov. 02, have 49,000 on her and have heard just about every sound that I can imagine. The one sound that I have heard 3 times that I cringe when I hear it is the metal-on-metal grinding sound when my pads and rotors are shot.

-James. :cool:

Once in a great while the A/C sensor over the driver's seat will start up. I found myself tapping the left side A pillar trying to isolate the vibration a week ago. That hasn't happened since one time last November in Colorado.

Other than that, not a peep, squeak, or rattle to mention.

It must be the desert heat. But it's a dry heat.

i got a popping noise when i turn or when the weight of the truck shifts mainly towards the drivers side. I've taken it in twice to the dealership and they gave me some explanation about a hole drilled to big on the driver side cross member. they'd lube it up and would quiet it down for a short while. Only have about 7k on the odometer now and it started pretty soon after i bought it. Nothing terrible but it is annoying at times. :B:

The only squeaks I have noticed is when something is rolling around in the glove box.

Butch

I know it's not a Lexus or a BMW,but...

I don't buy that at all! Our AVs cost more than some Lexus and BMW models. I agree it is not a top-line luxary car, but I don't think anyone should have to pay $40k or more for a rattle trap. I really like my AV but I really don't like dealing with GM service departments. I had a squeek in the rear of my AV. Started out at around 9000 miles and very intermittent but got worse over time. Decided to take it to my dealer at around 15000 miles. They actually told me when I dropped off the AV that squeeks and Rattles are only covered for 12 months or 12000 miles :eek: (which is not true). Then they told me they couldn't warranty it anyway becaues I had the factory shocks changed. :eek: :eek:. The reasoning being that whoever installed the shocks could have done it wrong, twisting the frame causing the noise (nevermind the noise was there 5 months before the shocks were changed). After listening to this BS I was so mad I had to walk out and compose myself. I went back and threatened to call the regional GM rep. They took the AV in under warranty. The tech didn't fix a thing, he looked at it with a flash light and squirted a few rear suspension components with some sort of lube. I am wondering if they received the results of the customer satisfaction survey they sent me yet >:D.

I just took it to another dealer and they seemed to have fixed the problem the first time. It was the spare tire of all things. They claim is wasn't tight enough. I have to believe them because it doesn't seem to be squeeking any more. However, it was also there for another problem (steering shaft lub thing) which they fixed and screwed up something else which required another trip to see them :8:.

I'm sorry for this long ranting post, but I just don't think we should be forced to accept noises and lousy service.

Atxlanche wrote:
i got a popping noise when i turn or when the weight of the truck shifts mainly towards the drivers side. I've taken it in twice to the dealership and they gave me some explanation about a hole drilled to big on the driver side cross member.
:7: So FIX IT!

Tony

in my experience, GM's are notorious for interior noises due to parts rubbing, etc. Av is best I've experience yet, but still not great :cautious:

I get noise from glovebox, driver door panel controls, and then occasional mystery noises from various places when on dirt roads. Based on my experience, I'm not even going to bother to try to locate them.

Tony_V said:
I don't buy that at all! Our AVs cost more than some Lexus and BMW models. I agree it is not a top-line luxary car, but I don't think anyone should have to pay $40k or more for a rattle trap.

You've just hit on one of the reasons that the rebate on Chevy trucks is $5,000, and at best $750 on the Tundra, and why a 2001 Sequoia still gets over $30,000. I find it amazing that Ford, GM and Chrysler still wonder why they're losing market share.

The Avalanche is proof positive that they're capable of building a well thought out vehicle(the new Malibu is another) if they could just get the execution right.

JUST PURCHASED A NEW 04 1500 W/O HARDWARE, I HAVE 1,118 MILES ON IT AND I AM HEARING THE SQUEEK MOAN AND GROAN. HOPE TO HEAR SOME GOOD FEEDBACK ON THIS TOPIC..... ANYONE KNOW A CONCERNED GM AVALANCHE REP. MANY EXTRAS IN THE WORKS. PICTURES TO FOLLOW SOON.

The have noise.

I have is the previously posted vibrating heat shield noise when you step on the gas when the AV is cold. I think it sound cool so I am not doing nothing about it.

My passenger door clunks when you open it haven?t figured it out yet and keep forgetting about it when I am at the dealer. Will have to have them look at it one of these days.

Most recently I got out of my truck to go into the store and left my AV running and heard what sounds like a water pump squeal. I never noticed this before because I rarely keep my AV running with out me in it.

My 15000-mile oil change and check up is coming soon so I will have to have them look at it.

WB123

PS The radio fix really does work well.

Back