• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Z71 Package vs Regular 4x4 - Differences?

H

hankd

I know what all the Z71 package includes...skid plates, stickers, shocks, floormats, etc...

But do you get any of that same stuff if you get a 4x4 but don't get the Z71 package? Does the regular 4x4 still have a skid plate for example? What's the difference between the shocks on the Z71 and the shocks on the 4x4?

I'm trying to decided if it's worth it to me to get the Z71 package and add leather and a couple other things, or just get the full leather package on a regular 4x4...

Thanks in advance...

I believe that the specially tuned front and rear shocks are for the Z71 package only, however the 4X4 will come with all the other Z71 offroad features, excpt for 17" wheels(Z71 specific) and the stickers on the rear, they'll be 4X4 instead.
This is just my opinion, I am not positive on this all.

-James. :cool:

z71 has a higher flow (k&n maybe?) air filter
z71 has a locking rear diff - check to see if the reg 4x4 has it cuz i dunno
z71 has a darker tinted rear window i think
z71s floormats are more heavy duty
z71 has the 17 inch wheels (16in on reg)
z71 has the billstein (sp?) offroad shocks

alot of these things could easily be added but some of them (locking rear, wheels, shocks) would be better attained by just getting the z71

the z71 package itself is an very good value. The big features (for me anyway) above what you get with the base 4x4 are the locking rear differential, 17" wheels, window tint, bilstein shocks, skid plates(these skids arent very impressive though). however in 2003 you could get the z71 package by itself with no other options, which is what i wanted and how my truck is optioned out. in 2004 i think you are required to get onstar and maybe a few other options when you get the z71 package. this sucks imo...

I went from a 4x4 to the Z71 and find that the five mile road I drive back and forth on at least 3 times a day, gives me a better feeling of handling.

I am very impressed with the improvments. :)

I got a locking rear and trailer package on my 03 1500 4x4 and that was only about $500 in options, and that was all I really had to have as far as options.

This is the Z-71 description for an 04 1500, I got it off the chevrolet.com site, I hope it helps.

Z71 OFF ROAD PACKAGE INCLUDES:
DEEP TINTED GLASS
P265/70R17 OOR TIRES
SPECIALLY TUNED SPRINGS
LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL
OFF ROAD SKID PLATE PACKAGE
HIGH CAPACITY AIR CLEANER
AGGRESSIVE FLOOR MATS
17" ALUMINUM WHEELS
TRAILERING PACKAGE
PWR FOLD AND ADJUST HEATED
OUTSIDE MIRROR WITH TURN SIG
AND DRIVER SIDE AUTO DIMMING
ONSTAR SYSTEM
INCLUDES 1 YEAR SAFE & SOUND
STEERING WHL MOUNTED CONTROL
$ 1,955.00

I think they meant special tuned shocks, not springs.

Doug

Thanks guys!! Here's what it looks like after putting everything together...

1SM package:
Leather
Automatic dual zone AC
HomeLink wireless control system (garage door opener??)
Trailering package
Pwr fold and heated outside mirrors w/signals
OnStar w/1 yr safe and sound
Steering wheel radio controls & DIC
Floor console
2nd row audio controls
Adjustable pedals
6 speaker Bose w/6 disc changer

Z71 package + leather:
Same as above, except
MANUAL climate control instead of automatic
NO HomeLink wireless control system
(neither of which is a big deal to me)

But with Z71 + leather, you get the following that aren't in the regular 4x4 with 1SM package:
Tint
Skid plates
Heavy duty floor mats
17" wheels / tires
Shocks
Locking differential
Air filter

for a mere $585 / $500 (MRSP / Invoice) extra! Seems worth it to me! :cool:

I'm not sure if skid plates are included on the regular 4x4?

Am I missing anything??

I just traded my 02 z-71 for an 04 4x4. I had the dealer trade my wheels for the stock 16in. wheels. For the deal I got the extras just didnt seem worth it since mine had the locking differental and the trailor package. I just wished they had kept the tranny cooler loike they had on the 02.

According to GMBuypower, it looks like following are no cost options if you do the 1SM 4x4:

tint
high capacity air filter
skid plate package
17" wheels / tires??? (how can that be no cost?)

Locking diff is a $295 option

$585-295 = $290

which is what you're paying for shocks and heavy duty floor mats I guess??

Back