• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM Commander cutting out

A

AlterEgo

A few months ago I had an XM Commander installed with the provided FM modulator to my factory bose 6 disc CD system. Have been very happy with it and XM programming.

Recently though, the XM Commander has been doing something strange - not powering up after starting my AV. After not powering up, I can also hear a faint "clicking" sound from within the dash (I'm assuming the FM modulator unit?) with "clicks" about 3-5 seconds apart. After driving though, it has come on all three times after about 15 minutes. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but all three times it's happened it has been on a very cold morning (by Florida standards - 45? or so) - and after it finally does power up, it doesn't have a problem the rest of the day.

Anyone out there experience this problem or any experts that might have a guess at what the clicking sound is and why?

Thanks.

I have the commander and have had no problems. i would suggest checking your pos, neg, and remote connections. also, if the wire to the antenae(sp) gets pinched it can also cause problems. good luck

Yep, also,..check when you turn it on if the backlight is coming on if so and you see no digits on the screen, you may have a bad unit(I did! :8:) only after fully installing it did this occur,.. :E: but I am betting on the remote cord, due to it clicking..

anyway good luck,

HOLY S#$T :eek: :eek: :eek:,..I JUST NOTICED YOUR FROM CAPE CORAL!!,..THATS WHERE I BOUGHT MINE(BEST BUY) AND HAD TO RETURN IT,..I BOUGHT THE NEW ONE AT THE BIG STEREO SHOP ON THE SAME SIDE AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS SO FAR... (y)

I haven't had a problem with it since I posted - wierd. But when I did start the ignition, it was like I had no power to the unit - no backlight or digits - only the clicking sound. Then 15 to 20 minutes later - power and everything was fine. It's happened 3 times now and each time the same thing - I'm crossing my fingers that it was just a glitch and isn't going to happen again.

What is the remote cord and why do you suspect this may be the problem? BTW - I got mine at the Circuit City on 41 just down from Best Buy.

Thanks for the help!

Back