• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Worn Shocks, Suggestion for replacement?

GyroMan

My truck has 88,000 kms on it and the rear shocks are DONE. I was wondering what the best shocks are to put on and how hard is it to replace them by myself. I am very mechanically inclined and I dont think it is too bad i just dont know what to buy..

please help

Dave

Heyaa ... I have a set(4) of factory Z71 Bilsteins that I took off my 2003 Z71 Avalanche. You can have them for a hunski plus shipping.

They have about 500 miles on them.

Replaced them with Monroe Reflex 'cuz they give same control and softer on road ride. Latest technology in shock science.

But ... the Bilsteins are still the industry standard for the usual offroader.

your neighbor, ron :)

I think im going to go with the Rancho RSX's. I dont want the OEM ones on my truck ever again. This truck has been up to the arctic i think i need beefier ones.

I would recommend Rancho as well. They are currently running a special until the end of April Buy 3 get 1 free. The RSXs should be around $50 a piece.

Charlie

I studied the Bilsteins, Ranchos, and Monroe. I went with the Monroe and am very pleased, both on road and off. NAPA Auto sells a Reflex shock under their name and is simply a relabled Monroe, both, of course, are made by the same third party.

I just received my RSX's yesterday & I'm waiting for the rain to stop (supposed to rain through tomorrow evening). Will let you know how they are. I've only got 33,000 miles on my 02 Z71, and the driver front Bilstein is leaking and the other 3 don't seem to be far behind. Pretty poor OEM shock performance since I don't do any off-roading and towing is limited to a 14' jon boat. I thought Bilstein made a quality product but given the poor performance on my AV, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I replaced my bilstiens because they leaked all over my garage, not because they wore out.....

I also replaced my stock shocks with Monroe Reflex when I did the Eibach lowering springs. It definitely softned the ride especially with the new 285/50/20s on the AV. Very happy with them.

I'll let you know the ease of R&Ring them but just looking at them, everything looks pretty accessible and I doubt I'll even need to remove the tires. Nuts & threads don't have any rust so I don't plan on needing the air impact wrench. I'll just drive the end I'm working on up on my Rhino Ramps to gain a little more working clearance. Suspect it's going to be much, much easier than replacing struts.

Installed the shocks this afternoon. Bilsteins were toast. Driver front was almost totally locked up while the other three were easily compressed. Surprising the Ranchos don't come with instructions but here's what you do if you haven't done this before:

The major shock nuts/bolts require a 15/32 open end wrench & a socket. For the rear shocks you will also need a minimum 3" socket extension. The top shock nuts on the OEM shocks require a 15mm open end wrench. I used a 7mm open end wrench to hold the notched front shaft shock shaft. You don't need to remove the tires to replace the shocks but you will probably need a jack to raise the corners of the AV when you try to install the new shocks as the new shocks are difficult to compress while you're tryiing to insert the bolts. For the front OEM shocks compeltely remove the upper/lower shock bushings. The Ranchos come with new bushings and washers. Apply one steel washer, cup side up, on the threaded front shock rod. Then apply one red bushing with the ribbed side up. Insert shock assembly rod into upper shock mount. Slide the other red bushing, ribbed side down over the rod. The slide the other steel washer, cupped side down, over the rod. Apply the nut (14mm open end wrench). Tighten until the bushings are compressed to the point where they are the diameter of the steel washers. Reuse the OEM bolt/nut for the lower shock mount. For the rear shocks, youreuse both the top and bottom OEM bolts/nuts. The driver rear was the most difficult because the filler hose to the gas tank takes up a lot of room. Total R&R time was about an hour. I've only taken the Ranchos on a brief trip through the neighborhood--ride is much better.

How many miles should one reasonably expect on the stock bilsteins?

Well im all done. That was almost as easy as an oil change. Thanks for the instructions.

I didnt even cut myself once.

As for replacement time, im at 83,000 km which i think is around 43,000 miles or so maybe more. Good idea to change at around 40K miles though.

I was kind of afraid of that. 40K for $$$ shocks :E:

How much for the Ranchos?

(I'm at 25K now, but racking up miles fast :cautious:)

Is there a noticable ride diference with aftermarket shocks? Now I am intrigued.
My wife was in the back seat a day or so ago and said the ride felt a bit rough, I blamed my worn tires, but now I am thinking shocks.

I have over 40K...my shocks are fine.......

they should last a lot longer then that......

To test em...ya push down on corner hard....and if comes up and stops...they are fine...if it bounces a bit...then they bad...IMO

ygmn said:
...To test em...ya push down on corner hard....and if comes up and stops...they are fine...if it bounces a bit...then they bad...IMO

cheap way to get a hooptie...just let the shocks go bad :0: ;D

I don't have the invoice with me but the Rancho RSX17000's were about $52 ea (buy 3 get 1 free) plus free shipping from Summitt Racing. Only difference in ride that I can notice from the Bilstein's (when they were new) is that when you drive over a big dip in the highway, the compression/rebound seems a little softer. Funny you should mention your wife's comments---mine said the same thing after riding in the back seat just before I noticed the shocks were used up.

Of the 83,000 KM's on my truck id say half of those are offroad. So if you are a regular off roader (I use my truck for work) offroad. I would change them up. If not they should last id say up to 50K miles.
Mine are completely toast. The Ranchos are a much stiffer ride but i like that.

I will have to take a look at mine on my next oil change. I have 77,000 miles on my stock shocks. I also don't have the z71 or z66. I have the base model. Not sure what shocks come with the base av.

Hernz Av said:
...I have the base model. Not sure what shocks come with the base av.

I don't know who makes them, but I got part number from another thread:

"2003 2wd Base model (no Z66 package) has p/n 15189678 shocks on the rear."

Not sure if that's same for 2wd vs. 4wd either.

Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins. Bilsteins.

Back