• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone weigh their AV ?

disneydaddy

I retitled my AV in January, The person at the Secretary of state (DMV) changed the weight/fee category during this transaction. After receiving my renewal for plates I noticed the price had gone up $50 (not unusual in MI) I checked the paperwork and noticed that they have my 03 WBH Z71 listed as weighing 6500#. Everything I can find from Chevy says it weighs 5600.
Has anyone ever had theirs on a scale ?
$50 per year for as long as I own this truck is riding on me making a convincing arguement.

Scott

No, but what immediately comes to mind to accomplish this is taking it to a landfill where they weigh you on the way in and out.

My '02 Z71 weighed in at a shade over 6,000# when I last went to the landfill. If the gas tank is empty, it will drop the weight by another 240, give or take (~5,760#).

So the lack of cladding and other fluids makes me think that 5600 is closer to correct than 6500#.

You have to liscence your vehicle for more than it weights. If you liscence your vehicle for exactly the amount it weights then when you load anything in it ... it would be overweight going on what the registration shows. At least thats what I've been told ???

Caped beat me to it. Usually a trucks license fee is based on gross weight, which is vehicle weight + cargo weight capacity.

The method that NC uses to calculate weight is different than the way MI does it, A friend just moved back here from there and had explained how they did it. They are supposed to calculate them on "curb weight" here in MI.
They showed me the book they use to figure the weight, they use characters in the VIN to (K13) direct them to a weight.
What doesnt makes sense is the fact that the truck has a 7000 GVWR rating and supposedly has a payload of 1300+ pounds, subtractng payload from GVWR gives me exactly the weight that Chevy says on their web site.
As far as taking it to the dump is concerned.... No way am I going anywhere near all that mud, we have flooding everywhere around here, this has been the rainiest May in record. Right now my AV is nice and clean and going to stay that way !

Scott

If it is classified by GVWR, then why the 6,500? GVWR for a Z71 is 7,000 AFAIK and as stated above ???

I finally got this resolved on Tuesday.
my findings are as follows:

my truck weighs (03 Z71, no other additional options) 5660 # (GM says it weighs 5682#) with 3/8 tank of gas and some junk stowed in it like tow strap, jumper cables, spare qt oil, etc.

Michigans weight book uses the "K13" designation of your VIN for weight purposes and the book says 6500#.

K13 is a generic GM designation for a 4WD 4dr sport utility 1500 series. It could be a Sub, Tahoe, Av etc.

Michigan changed the fee schedule for plates in January so that any trucks over 5000# are fee scheduled for weight only (not weight and value like was previously done)

Michigan goes by weight of vehicle not GVW like other states.

dont trust what anyone tells you at the Secretary of state, I got conflicting instructions and had to go back because they dont all know what they are talking about. (not a big surprise)

The $5 it cost me to prove I was right was well worth it.

I have weighed at a CAT scale. I was pulling a small travel trailer, without a weight distributing hitch, and here are the numbers.......
steer axle=2740
drive axle=2800
trailer axle=2800 :B:

I believe my truck is somewhere over 7000lbs with all the weight from mods and cargo. It may be nice to have a high GVWR, but it really kills your MPG :3:.

-James. :cool:

When i purchased my AV in July 01 in New Jersey the lic. was transfered from my S10 Blazer which was as a station wagon to the AV, when all the paper work was done in Pa i still have a lic. plate for a STATION WAGON and been the same since, some Av. i see have a Truck Lic. with the third weight sticker above the inspection sticker the owners must be hauling weight with these trucks
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

SRFNSNO said:
My Z71 weighs in over 8500 or better any day of the week

Hopefully that's a typo otherwise I would hate to see your gas mileage and performance carrying an extra 3,000 lbs around...

My 2500 weighed in at 7,050 with half a tank, with no one on board..

Then either your AV was built with different materials the every other AV out there or their scales are way off..

The gross vehicle weight (GVW) for a 2002 1500 is 7000 lbs you can't be 8,000 lbs plus even with a lift and SC..

Better check again...

ok its not.
6 tire and rim at 125 lbs each, lift kit, stereo, 3 batteries, winch kit front and rear, recovery equipment, onboard air, race jack,and hundreds of lbs of things i am forgetting right now.
Oh &  supercharger with intercooler. :cool:
That is just what the scale said. at dmv

I thought you said it was stripped down.

This is off topic, but did you modify the rear suspension to carry that weight.  Springs or airbag ???

The truck weighs in at 5900 just about every time I leave the scales at the city dump. I weigh 185, so not being a 4 wheel drive, it's the lightest AVY class built. I guess the towing packages adds a little weight but not much. Great gas mileage when I keep my foot out of it, but that never happens.

With my 305lb body in mine and full tank of gas my truck weighed in at 6000lbs on the dot the last time I took scrap to the bone yard.

I have an '03 1500 z71 with nothing added at the time.

Back