• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

4x4 conversion

atreyu

i have read countless times that the 4x2 and the 4x4 Avalanche share the same suspensions minus the transfer case, front differential and CV axles...correct? so would it be safe to assume i can conert a 4x2 into a 4x4?

Can't answer that from a technical standpoint. I guess anything is possible. I think it would be a lot easier and much cheaper in the long run to trade in for a 4wd though.

docopharm said:
Can't answer that from a technical standpoint. I guess anything is possible. I think it would be a lot easier and much cheaper in the long run to trade in for a 4wd though.

I second that, it will cost you a lot of money to do the convert, and you don't know if you will have any problems later on down the road. So it would be best to trade up for a 4x4. (y)

-James. :cool:

LIke they both said, you can convert any 4X2 into a 4X4 but you are looking at a cost of between 10,000 to 15,000 dollars to do it. The usual difference in price is about 3,000 in the two models. So by selling yours and buying a 4X4 you would look to save about 7,000

well im not paying for the parts since my friend has a wrecking yard and he is giving me a totaled 4x4 Avalanche suspension for $300. the labor would obviously be done by myself. so, what i was asking is are all the lounting points, ect the same between a 4x4 and a 4x2.

I would think getting the mechanical piece of everything to work would be the easy part. If you got connections with a junk yard or something, the front end pieces could be had for really cheap. The thing that may be tricky is getting the electronics working right. I am not sure where the 4x4 programmign is stored. If it is in the transfer case then it may just be plug and play. But you may have to have the computer on the Av flashed with 4x4 programming.

~bekind

I dont have any first hand knowledge of the mounting points but most if not all trucks are built the same whether they are 4x4 or 4x2. I dont know of any 4x2's that arent built the same as the 4x4's it is cost effective to build all the chassis on the same assembly line and just add or not add components You shouldnt have any problems if you have everything you need

atreyu said:
i have read countless times that the 4x2 and the 4x4 Avalanche share the same suspensions minus the transfer case, front differential and CV axles...correct? so would it be safe to assume i can conert a 4x2 into a 4x4?
Save yourself the headache, buy the 4x4.

atreyu said:

I've built some pretty cool truck stuff but this isn't something I would think of even attempting.

Joe

I love my 4x4, I would never even consider a 2x4 just for the resale alone.

james21 said:
docopharm said:

I second that, it will cost you a lot of money to do the convert, and you don't know if you will have any problems later on down the road. So it would be best to trade up for a 4x4. (y)

-James. :cool:

i third that. ;)

im not going to trade my brand new 2 week old AV in for a 4x4 if i can jsut swap the parts over. that would be retarded.

For discussion sake it it true that the running gear is the same on the 2x4 and 4x4 with the exception of transmission, transfer case, front diff, drive axles, front hubs, all the engine control systems, oh wait, that's a bunch, huh? This is not to mention warranty issues, because you will have modified every system on the vehicle except the interior. Sorry, but in my opinion performing the conversion would be retarded. Just my opinion.

atreyu said:
im not going to trade my brand new 2 week old AV in for a 4x4 if i can jsut swap the parts over. that would be retarded.

Honestly WOULD be easier to do a trade in than to go forward with the conversion. TOO many factors going against you.

3 mainly being -
1 If you had to ask in this forum, then your probably not knowledgable enough to do it on your own.
2. You don't know anyone who's done it before, therefore no model to follow. If you get halfway through and realize it's going to take more than you expected, then you just chopped up a 40k vehicle which is now useless.
3. NO WARRENTY!

IF you do decided to tear it up, then forget the IFS. Your buddy owns a yard, get him to find you an AXLE and do a straight axle conversion. MUCH better capable 4x4. Go through all of that and replace it with anohter IFS would be silly.

Mud!

after much deliberation i have to agree with everyone. we towed th wrecked chassis to my house so i could compare everything back to back. allot is teh same, and allot is different too. i am going to start collecting money to do a SFA. does anyone have pics of a SFA Avalanche?

hey Nick,

There is one member on here who has done the solid axle swap... check out this thread

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=23863

Grey

Didn't mean to sound like a downer, but, I am happy that you decided against doing the conversion. A solid axle conversion would be very cool to do, although you still have the tranny, transfer case, and other issues to address. I just can't see doing all that to a 2 week old truck. How about having your buddy find you a complete 4wd wreck and making the most bad ass solid axle converted Avalanche on the planet!?

atreyu said:

Buying a 2 wheel drive when you really wanted a 4 wheel drive...Now thats retarded :eek:

Back