• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

belt separation on goodyear at/s

blackthree4me

just a word to the wize for yall. I have had a go to school session on the av susspention this week :E:
I just found out by the local discount tire guys that my
goodyear AT/S tires are having belt separation issues :C:o
I think thay are 265 70 17 size. all four had noticable
bumps on the inner and outer sidewall to tread patch areas :9:
the bumps had a dry rott look with cracks and blistering type indications. I took them to my local good year dealer and thay had a real good look :2: including writing down all four S/Ns of course thay put it up on the allignment machine and found that the factory setting were way out of whack with major camber issues and slight to modorate toe out ( no wonder the dame thing featherd so bad) ???
I had no idea that the facttory setting would be so far out :7:
they said they would put in a call to good year and get back with me
about replacement but not to get my hopes up.
not wanting to wait for rejection :D: I went to the dealer and they(Monday chevrolet in Houston) gladly replaced them. He said it was because of my Dale Earnhardt sicker on the truck :B: but I think that was just to get my mind off the issue lol :8: I asked about the allingment and no can do under warenty 24k too mutch for them only willing to go 10 k >:D get them checked ASAP because the settings are bad from the factory it will save you lotsa greef in the future not too mention a new set of tires at 600 bucks. 70 bucks is a deal for the alignment instead of 600 for new tires every 24k
just a heads up on the tires (separation thing) check um out I bet you got it too :eek:
with all of the firestone thing I hope this helps to save just one life :love:
catch ya on the road ;)
blackthree4me

That's weird. The guy I sold my '02 to was having a vibration. He took it to Goodyear and found three of the stock tires from Goodyear had tread and cap separation. The dealer said another 1,000 miles and a tread cap would have flew off. Nice.

Goodyear offered him some stupid amount--- like $20 due to the tires having 30K on them.

He bought a set of Michelin LTX M&S and is extremely happy.

Check those Goodyears !!!!

Trophyman.

I took my Av (w/ 3500 miles) to the dealer to have the alignment and wheels checked because the truck's ride was exhibiting vibrations at highway speeds above 60. After the dealer looked at the truck and had the wheels balanced and I drove it home, the vibration was still present. I took it to my mechanic and he said that one of the tires has a flat spot and needs replacement. I called the dealer and they told me to go to a Goodyear center and have them replace the bad goodyear wrangler ATS tire.

I take it into Just Tires and they salesdroid rolls his eyes as I explained the situation. He then walks out to the truck and runs his hands around the tire in question. How scientific is that? Then he tells me that he doesn't notice anything and I would have to leave the truck there for them to analyze the problem. I asked how long it would take and he couldn't say. Ok I leave the av and later they call back saying nothing is wrong with the tire. Waste of time.

I trust my mechanic more than I trust Just Tires so I guess I'm going to have to shell out and replace the Goodyear AT.

just had my stock wranglers rotated and balanced (likely for the last time - ~32,000 miles). I now have a bounce between 65-70mph. I'll get them to try to rebalance. I've never had a bounce before this rotation. My stocks are wearing pretty evenly, but I'm still looking forward to some new tires...except for the hole it's gonna leave in my wallet :cautious:

It might not be just the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires. I have had two Goodyear Wrangler HPs replaced and only have 13,000 miles on my AV. One was replaced within first week for blistering on the sidewall and another replaced at 6,000 miles for belt separation. The tires get rotated every 3000 miles so can't use that as an excuse. I don't have a very good opinion of Goodyears as a whole :D: and will not buy them again. This is the second GM vehicle that came with Goodyears and I thought both sets of tires were junk.

Kajun :B:

I had Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on my '98 Durango and didn't like them much to begin with anyway and had some wear issues. Didn't ride that good and seemd kind of noisy. Changed them out with the B.F. Goodrich All Terrain TA (y) and liked that much better. Same or slightly more aggressive tread pattern and didn't seem quite as noisy. Plus did a great job in winter snow & muck. Did pretty well off-road too. And no issues in the next 40K miles.

Our '01 Durango still had the original Goodyear Wranglers on it and they went out in favor of a pair of another BFG's.

Just my $.02

BTW - Our Venture mini-van that we purchased last year came with General tires. XP 9000 I believe. At 700 miles the wife took it in for a couple of small items and I had her tell the service weenie that there was a wobble in one of the wheels. :( The guy said that he didn't feel anything and that he wouldn't do anything at that time even if there was since there was less than 1000 miles on the van & tires. :mad: Well by 7K the wobble was quite noticeable and needed to be replaced. :eek:

What is it with the auto makers and the tires they put on their non-high performance vehicles? No issues with the treads on the Z28.

Just before I put my 20's on.. I had the belts in the left rear go... I still have the tire BUT it is mangled. Only had 20K on it at the time and rotated every oil change. I WILL be seeing a Goodyear dealer when it comes time to replace the 20's with the 17s for the snow. This tire failed so bad that I was afraid to keep the other 3 on. I will post up picks when i get home from work.

I'll never own another set of goodyears. I have the Michelin LTX M/S on mine now and couldn't be happier with the ride, noise and traction. I even had the same tires put on the wifes Aztek which was very difficult to find in that size. (y) ;D

My father works for Bridgestone/Firestone and I have heard the horror stories of tread seperation. Mostly due to underinflation. I am sure the "facts" we got were a little one sided. But, when the explorer/firestone deal was going down we were constantly watching the news. In fact, here in OK one night there was a rollover accident on I-40 and there was a news camera on the scene. When he zoomed in on the tire..............yep, Goodyear.....with the dreaded Firestone tread seperation issue. Hmmmmmm.
BB

FutureLanche said:
No issues with the treads on the Z28.

Only problem I have with my '02 Z28s tread is it keeps migrating in tiny tiny pieces to my fenderwells and quarterpanels. >:D >:D >:D
BB

I guess the wranglers are as bad as everyone has been saying.. Found I have one that is bad, thrown belt, and 2 others that are worn pretty bad.. I was going to get a set of takeoffs, but it might be time to get a set of BF Goodrich dulers ATs.. Local place has them on a big sale right now..

I posted above that I had my stock GY's balanced and rotated and they now ride like crap. I noticed this morning that there are NO weights on any of the wheels. What are the chances of none of them requiring weights this time? I didn't look to see if they were perhaps put on the backside, but if they were then I will be even more irritated because that means they could have put them there from the beginning instead of marring up the finish of my wheels :cautious:

I'm betting they didn't get balanced...we'll see.

Rich the weights could have slung off....

I have had that happen before....

There are many factors related to tire wear and belt separation. Tire inflation is one, road conditions another, followed by the type of vehicle.

We also own a Volvo AWD wagon. It uses H-rated 15" rubber and can trash the tires in 50,000 kms (30,000 miles). The tread is usually half gone when the sidewalls and belts pack it in (I know it's not from my wife's driving). It turns out that the weight of the vehicle and suspension set-up just place a big demand on the tires. After two sets of Continental CH95's replaced on warranty, we're running less expensive General Exclaims now. So far so good after 13,000 miles.

My Wrangler AT/S tires are wearing nicely with no signs of problems (just rotated them last week). Every tire will have the odd factory defect but the likelihood of 3 bad ones on the same vehicle is slim.
I say first have a look at your tire pressures (not too high or too low), alignment, road conditions and how you drive before blaming the tires. Avalanches are heavy vehicles and I think the Wranglers are well matched for the task if properly cared for.

Back