• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

02 Avy Repairs please read !!!!!!

NPHOTO

I had posted a message several months ago,
Squeek, squeal, klunk...Since then I have been back to my dealer for repairs. Here are teir fixes. As soon as I can I will scan and post copies of my service tickets.
1) Klunk= steering problem
Chevy has had problems with the steering shafts on 02-03 Avy's, Surburbans, and Tahoe's. This is a known problem where the steering wheel will vibrate roughly. Have your dealer replace the intermediate seering and lower steering column.
2) Squeal= Heat cracks in roters
Solution: If you have 20" or larger rims on your baby THAT CAME FROM THE DEALER. Have the dealer replace the roters and pads. Original stock roters and pads in 02 could not handle 20"or larger rims and tires.
3)Squeek= Mid gate cross member
under the chassis there is some kind of cross member that on 02 Avys have a problem. The solution was to remove the cross member and clean off contact points to the chassis. If you experience a creaking sound when you turn up into a driveway this is the problem.
If you have gotten a recall message regarding tailgate cables please have them replaced
I'm glad to see after two years of complaining to my dealer about noises they finally found the fix for all!!!

Regards to my Av Brothers and Sisters!!
NPHOTO ;) ;)

Its always good when a dealer listens and then fixes the problem!

Butch

Did you say you got your tailgate cables replaced by the dealer? I have my Av in today for servicing, but I thought you couldn't have the cables replaced until you were notified that the cables were in stock.

02 one of the first with over 62,000 miles none of those problums yet. I did upgrade my front brakes and my cables were just replaced.

But I love my 02 Av... :love: :B:

Sorry I won't be Fla bound till March...but you can paypal me and I will send them out...

02 Av 4 ever......

enkeiavalanche said:
Sorry I won't be Fla bound till March...but you can paypal me and I will send them out...

02 Av 4 ever......

It is in North Carolina, and I will only buy if you go >:D Tinman says you have to ;D

NPHOTO, the third problem you listed about the midgate creaking, I had a problem about 9 months ago with my rear window, the plastic trim around it was craked on the bottom, and it had been like that for 2 years. Now since it has been replaced I am getting the same creaking sound that I got before it was replaced. I don't think that another rear window would go bad :6:, but I don't know. I am wondering if it is the same problem as you had, however mine does it whenever I go over big bumps. I will inspect the rear window on monday or tuesday, and I'll let you know.

-James. :cool:

Hi James,
have your dealer remove and grease the rear cross member, which is located, I believe, between the frame below the midgate. This is what my dealer did and unless I go over a severe bump while turning (creating stress on the frame) there isn't any noise at all.

Back